So what will be the economic affect when the "Self Quarantine" is Over?

We lost 4-5 years of economic gains. Trillions have evaporated, no way that is going to just bounce back.
One estimate puts it at 34 trillion......ya alll stay home now til you're told and let's make it 100 trillion......won't hurt at all or cost any lives
It's another one who thinks the stock market is worth any number of ordinary American lives. The "let them die" crowd will receive their just reward.

Its not just the fucking stock market, occ.

If America goes through 18-24 months of lockdown, it will just be the first part of 10 years or longer of 30% + unemployment. That much idleness isn't good for the health of anyone. Starving in the streets may be hazardous to your health.
I know it sucks but the alternative is to just let this thing go wild, that would probably be bad for the economy as well. Not sure how you think we would be better off with ten times the cases and deaths.
Who says that's the alternative..... unimaginative libs no doubt
When exposure to infected people is the only factor in getting the disease there are no half-measures that are effective. You either shut things down and isolate or you let it decimate the populace. If there was a better way we would be doing it.

How do you know that exposure to infected people is the "only" relative factor?

We lost 4-5 years of economic gains. Trillions have evaporated, no way that is going to just bounce back.
One estimate puts it at 34 trillion......ya alll stay home now til you're told and let's make it 100 trillion......won't hurt at all or cost any lives
It's another one who thinks the stock market is worth any number of ordinary American lives. The "let them die" crowd will receive their just reward.

If America goes through 18-24 months of lockdown, it will just be the first part of 10 years or longer of 30% + unemployment. That much idleness isn't good for the health of anyone. Starving in the streets may be hazardous to your health.
I know it sucks but the alternative is to just let this thing go wild, that would probably be bad for the economy as well. Not sure how you think we would be better off with ten times the cases and deaths.

Any link for the "10 times" prediction? Sounds like you pulled it out of your rectum.

And how many deaths is the current Lockdown causing- in suicides, as well as because of delayed medical treatment for non-covid related diseases as hospitals and doctors cancel colonoscopies, mammograms and dental cleanings. How many deaths will be caused by people permanently unemployed, many of whom will starve or die from exposure in the street?

Liberals should be upset as America will never be able to afford "medicare for all" or the "new green deal" with the amount this will be costing and the reduction in tax collections.

The solution, in my view, is to get behind the President, and his efforts to both defeat this disease with his patented Hydroxycholoroquine remedy and his efforts to restart the economy. Trump re-started the economy after the failed Obama years, he can do it again.

Any link for the "10 times" prediction? Sounds like you pulled it out of your rectum.

And how many deaths is the current Lockdown causing- in suicides, as well as because of delayed medical treatment for non-covid related diseases as hospitals and doctors cancel colonoscopies, mammograms and dental cleanings. How many deaths will be caused by people permanently unemployed, many of whom will starve or die from exposure in the street?

Liberals should be upset as America will never be able to afford "medicare for all" or the "new green deal" with the amount this will be costing and the reduction in tax collections.

The solution, in my view, is to get behind the President, and his efforts to both defeat this disease with his patented Hydroxycholoroquine remedy and his efforts to restart the economy. Trump re-started the economy after the failed Obama years, he can do it again.
We all know there are going to be a lot of politicians who are going to reopen stuff too early leading to a resurgence of the disease. If the doctors are still saying no,no,no I'll not get behind anyone who wants to jump the gun.

We all know there are going to be a lot of politicians who are going to reopen stuff too early leading to a resurgence of the disease. If the doctors are still saying no,no,no I'll not get behind anyone who wants to jump the gun.

Guys like Dr. Fauci love this stuff. It isn't his fault, but he's toiled in anonymity for decades and now he is being named the "sexiest man alive". Its going to be tough for him to ever give the "green light" on stopping the lockdown.

How many deaths do you estimate from a 10 year depression from starvation/psychiatric illness/ exposure if we delay too long?

Guys like Dr. Fauci love this stuff. It isn't his fault, but he's toiled in anonymity for decades and now he is being named the "sexiest man alive". Its going to be tough for him to ever give the "green light" on stopping the lockdown.

How many deaths do you estimate from a 10 year depression from starvation/psychiatric illness/ exposure if we delay too long?
Your Alex Jones style hyperbolic question makes it difficult to take you seriously. We've all seen the almighty Curve and the overriding mission to flatten it. These things always follow a bell curve. The back half looks like the front half in reverse. The sooner the curve flattens the sooner it's over. The places that acted on time will see a much earlier return to normalcy. It will only drag on where it is not being fought hard enough.

Your Alex Jones style hyperbolic question makes it difficult to take you seriously. We've all seen the almighty Curve and the overriding mission to flatten it. These things always follow a bell curve. The back half looks like the front half in reverse. The sooner the curve flattens the sooner it's over. The places that acted on time will see a much earlier return to normalcy. It will only drag on where it is not being fought hard enough.

I heard about the "flattening of the curve" idea too, and it has some theoretical appeal.

However, your big caveat, where you put an open ended date on the end of the lockdown is the problem. Personally, I think a lot of people really dig the lockdown. It gives the elite the opportunity to micromanage the lives of the hoi polloi, it raises the profile and power of the technocrats. Expect them to try and err on the side of "safety" against an early reopening of the country Some libs (I disagree with their assessment) think they can rise like a phoenix from the ashes of the American economy and install Biden in power if we have high joblessness.

My prediction as to what will happen is that we will reopen the economy earlier rather than later, and America will be roaring back by this fall. Regardless of when the economy is reopened, there will be some Chinese Kung Flu deaths after, and Biden will try to make political hay over them.

Yep, it's only Schiff, Schumer and Pelosi that want it to go wild.
Trump will not escape from the guilt of his denial and inaction. He was literally the last major politician to realize how much danger we faced in the run up to this thing. All anyone will ever have to do is run the tape of his denials split screen with the graph of the progression of the pandemic to show just how bad he blew this.

This from some clown that was so mesmerized by the impeachment...go figure, dumbass.

I heard about the "flattening of the curve" idea too, and it has some theoretical appeal.

However, your big caveat, where you put an open ended date on the end of the lockdown is the problem. Personally, I think a lot of people really dig the lockdown. It gives the elite the opportunity to micromanage the lives of the hoi polloi, it raises the profile and power of the technocrats. Expect them to try and err on the side of "safety" against an early reopening of the country Some libs (I disagree with their assessment) think they can rise like a phoenix from the ashes of the American economy and install Biden in power if we have high joblessness.

My prediction as to what will happen is that we will reopen the economy earlier rather than later, and America will be roaring back by this fall. Regardless of when the economy is reopened, there will be some Chinese Kung Flu deaths after, and Biden will try to make political hay over them.
Rarely has the direct result of political decisions been so clear that they can be marked on a graph in real time. When this is over we will be going to the charts to see who did the right thing and who fucked up. We will be able to put a dollar amount and a death toll to every decision and every hesitation. I can promise that you will not like what they say.

They say china is hurting much worse than the globalist worshiping lib media is telling us

now is the time to move production back to America

which will assist our recovery

They say china is hurting much worse than the globalist worshiping lib media is telling us

Not arguing with that, not sure America is ready to give up cheap Chinese shit though. Best we can hope for is bringing the more crucial production to Mexico.

Not arguing with that, not sure America is ready to give up cheap Chinese shit though. Best we can hope for is bringing the more crucial production to Mexico.
Ready or not we need to make more stuff in America again

japan announced its car companies are going to cease production in china and move back to japan or indochina

I'll predict that Jeff Bezos will own everything.

Ready or not we need to make more stuff in America again

japan announced its car companies are going to cease production in china and move back to japan or indochina
When the hell has the "job creators" ever given a fuck about what America needs? All they care about is what Americans are willing to pay for. Some of them might bring a few factories back but as soon as trade normalizes the labor race to the bottom continues.

Unemployment is very high right now, and by the time the shutdown is ended, it may be even higher. Because of that, the average amount spent by a family on eating out, going to the movies, etc will be lower. Too many families won't have any money available for those things for some amount of time. Some families who do have the money will probably be wary and slow to return to being around other people in numbers. Due to those and other factors I think the recovery will be a gradual and fairly slow process.
Too many? How many is Too many? Right now 10% or 16 million. Do you think there will be more? How many more?
You GUESS too many ... Why? Why not do some analysis. For example... 16 million if out of work get unemployment for 4 months now.
That's not peanuts. They will be spending the unemployment for food, etc.
So again give me specifics...not wild guesses like "too many"!

Unemployment is very high right now, and by the time the shutdown is ended, it may be even higher. Because of that, the average amount spent by a family on eating out, going to the movies, etc will be lower. Too many families won't have any money available for those things for some amount of time. Some families who do have the money will probably be wary and slow to return to being around other people in numbers. Due to those and other factors I think the recovery will be a gradual and fairly slow process.
Too many? How many is Too many? Right now 10% or 16 million. Do you think there will be more? How many more?
You GUESS too many ... Why? Why not do some analysis. For example... 16 million if out of work get unemployment for 4 months now.
That's not peanuts. They will be spending the unemployment for food, etc.
So again give me specifics...not wild guesses like "too many"!

I think the current unemployment rate is a lot more than 10%. The restaurant , airlines and hotel business are wiped out. Malls are closed. Rails, buses, ubers, are all kaput. Nail salons, barber shops, beauticians are all out of work. Medical specialists, dentists through. Casinos, Pimps and Hoes are idle.

Stock Market = Institutional Trading = Gambling.
It has nothing to do with reality based employment.

Most of the wealthy couples in my community are currently on the verge of divorce as their marriages are based upon money, not each other.

Trump will not escape from the guilt of his denial and inaction. He was literally the last major politician to realize how much danger we faced in the run up to this thing. All anyone will ever have to do is run the tape of his denials split screen with the graph of the progression of the pandemic to show just how bad he blew this.

I cant imagine what you think of Biden. He just figured out the virus was a problem a few days ago.

Economically, I think this may be the end for the retail merchandise market.

When quality is assured (think Crest Toothpaste or Levi's Jeans), you can just order ______ online and have them shipped to you or you can swing by and pick them up. The days of going in to buy the toothpaste and jeans are over if you know what you want. Purchasing foods and stuff like mattresses or books where quality is not assured and there is a benefit to browsing...that has some staying power for those who still like books anyway.

I cant imagine what you think of Biden. He just figured out the virus was a problem a few days ago.
You got him mixed up with the blob:

Forum List

Back