So who shoots with both eyes open?

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
This thread has been inspired by Missourian.
So who shoots with both eyes open? Obviously this doesn't pertain to scope shooters,but to pistol,shotgun and assault rifles with holographic sights. I myself find it hard to shoot with a closed eye. How about you?

I can and I have but I don't actually. I use my strong eye which is my right eye. I have a little bit of a blur out of my left eye so prefer to keep it shut. My dad told me that it was best to keep both eyes open but I noticed that in actual practice he only used one eye.

I can and I have but I don't actually. I use my strong eye which is my right eye. I have a little bit of a blur out of my left eye so prefer to keep it shut. My dad told me that it was best to keep both eyes open but I noticed that in actual practice he only used one eye.

Like I said,I find it difficult to shoot with an eye closed unless I'm shooting with a scope.
When I discovered the EoTech sight I was in heaven!!! I shoot pistols with both eyes and I'm waiting for the mounting plate(it's back ordered)for my FNX-45 Tactical so I can attach my Trijicon RMR 007.
It's another both eye open weapon sight like the EoTech. I can't imagine shooting with a closed eye unless I have to.

Like I said,I find it difficult to shoot with an eye closed unless I'm shooting with a scope.
When I discovered the EoTech sight I was in heaven!!! I shoot pistols with both eyes and I'm waiting for the mounting plate(it's back ordered)for my FNX-45 Tactical so I can attach my Trijicon RMR 007.
It's another both eye open weapon sight like the EoTech. I can't imagine shooting with a closed eye unless I have to.

As soon as I can afford it I'm getting an EoTech or something similar. I tried a standard scope on my AR but wasn't fond of it. I still like open sights but I'm not getting any younger so I'm going to have to get into some good tech soon.

As soon as I can afford it I'm getting an EoTech or something similar. I tried a standard scope on my AR but wasn't fond of it. I still like open sights but I'm not getting any younger so I'm going to have to get into some good tech soon.

If you're like me you'll have to wear glasses when shooting a holographic. In other words your eye sight has to be perfect or the reticle will be blurry until you flip down the magnifier. That goes with the Trijicon as well. I like the EoTech for the large window so you can see everything around your target unlike the Trijicon rifle sight which limits your peripheral vision.

Generally, shotguns and handguns I have both eyes open, rifles, no matter what sight, my left eye is closed.
Reasoning is, with handgun, I want to know what else is going on around me, shotgun I'm firing at a moving target and need depth perception. With a rifle, I'm shooting at one specific, generally stationary. and don't want any distraction.

Generally, shotguns and handguns I have both eyes open, rifles, no matter what sight, my left eye is closed.
Reasoning is, with handgun, I want to know what else is going on around me, shotgun I'm firing at a moving target and need depth perception. With a rifle, I'm shooting at one specific, generally stationary. and don't want any distraction.

I agree with everything you said........until you're firing a rifle for self defense.
It's no different then shooting a pistol. You need peripheral awareness when defending yourself. Which is why I highly recommend the EoTech as far as battle sights for your rifle goes.

Shotgun for sure -- both eyes open.

Right handed and left eye dominate, I'm a one eyed shooter of all things aimed for accuracy, but I can shoot pistol with both eyes for center-of-mass and shotgun for all but slugs.

Pistol, depending on the type of shooting - generally one eye on the sights, other closed.
Shotgun - both open and the butt stuck seriously in my shoulder
Rifle - one eye
Uzi/MP4/similar - both eyes open except for target shooting

Left eye dominate. Shoot with the right eye closed for the most part. No one really needs to close an eye when shooting a shotgun. I'm right handed to boot as well.

I'm left eye dominant so I tend to hold the sights in my left eye field of vision but I try to keep both eyes open

I didnt realize until later in life that it's preferable to shoot with both eyes open. It was just something I did naturally when shooting a shotgun and it carried over to handguns and rifles. Of course with the advent of lasers it's a no brainer now for pistols.
The thing I'm finding useful with the laser is learning to point and shoot without sights.
Look over the top of the pistol then turn on the laser. It's pretty amazing how accurate this method is. Out to thirty or forty foot I'm usually within four inch's of my target.

So who shoots with both eyes open? Obviously this doesn't pertain to scope shooters,but to pistol,shotgun and assault rifles with holographic sights. I myself find it hard to shoot with a closed eye. How about you?

I'll be the weird one here. I can shoot with both right and left handed, and I can shoot with both eyes open. I'm left-eye dominant if I close an eye.

So it's not the left one I close. :)

I'll be the weird one here. I can shoot with both right and left handed, and I can shoot with both eyes open. I'm left-eye dominant if I close an eye.

You're not alone. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I shoot both right and left (except for longarms).

You're not alone. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I shoot both right and left (except for longarms).

I'm ambidextrous. I was left handed but back in my day they forced you to be right handed. Something about the Devil. I can do most things with both hands until it comes to fine skills. Then I go left. The only time I go left. :)

One thing I learned real quick about shooting long arms left handed is your shirt is a perfect depository for hot, spent brass.

I'm ambidextrous. I was left handed but back in my day they forced you to be right handed. Something about the Devil. I can do most things with both hands until it comes to fine skills. Then I go left. The only time I go left. :)

One thing I learned real quick about shooting long arms left handed is your shirt is a perfect depository for hot, spent brass.

:lol:

An instructor tried to get me to shoot shotgun left handed but I just couldn't get the firearm positioned because I'd been shooting right handed all my life. He stopped bugging me about it after the first round of scores....... I cock my head over the butt-stock and sight with my left eye and still shot 100 out of 100.

Forum List

Back