So who shoots with both eyes open?

both eyes wide open no mater what sighting system i use. :up:

everyone should practice it, i cringe when watching a TV program where guns are used, most often you will see the shooter(s) with one eye closed.., real professionals and dedicated hard core shooters like myself always........, BOTH EYES OPEN !! :up:

This thread has been inspired by Missourian.
So who shoots with both eyes open? Obviously this doesn't pertain to scope shooters,but to pistol,shotgun and assault rifles with holographic sights. I myself find it hard to shoot with a closed eye. How about you?

i usually do

So who shoots with both eyes open? Obviously this doesn't pertain to scope shooters,but to pistol,shotgun and assault rifles with holographic sights. I myself find it hard to shoot with a closed eye. How about you?

I'll be the weird one here. I can shoot with both right and left handed, and I can shoot with both eyes open. I'm left-eye dominant if I close an eye.

So it's not the left one I close. :)

i do everything with either the left or right hand

I'll be the weird one here. I can shoot with both right and left handed, and I can shoot with both eyes open. I'm left-eye dominant if I close an eye.

In my younger days I was ambidextrous more so than now. Seams like it gets worse the older I get.

Right handed and left eye dominate, I'm a one eyed shooter of all things aimed for accuracy, but I can shoot pistol with both eyes for center-of-mass and shotgun for all but slugs.

I'm left-handed and right-eye dominant. I had always assumed that I was left-eye dominant until I took my CC classes. The instructor totally adjusted my stance, aim, and trigger pull as a result. The results are dramatic.

I do keep both eyes open, but I have a "lazy eye" syndrome. When I focus on something with either eye, the other one drifts off. I think it's actually beneficial in sighting a weapon.

In my younger days I was ambidextrous more so than now. Seams like it gets worse the older I get.

i started out as a leftie

the early teachers became my inspiration to become ambidextrous

since they would hit my hand if they caught me writing left handed --LOL

most shooting i do is right handed

i write with either hand

Right handed and left eye dominate, I'm a one eyed shooter of all things aimed for accuracy, but I can shoot pistol with both eyes for center-of-mass and shotgun for all but slugs.

I'm left-handed and right-eye dominant. I had always assumed that I was left-eye dominant until I took my CC classes. The instructor totally adjusted my stance, aim, and trigger pull as a result. The results are dramatic.

I do keep both eyes open, but I have a "lazy eye" syndrome. When I focus on something with either eye, the other one drifts off. I think it's actually beneficial in sighting a weapon.

Especially if you want to shoot around a corner. :lol:

Especially if you want to shoot around a corner. :lol:
Nah, I use this instead...

curve.gif

Defensive pistols are made to be pulled and fired!...not pulled,aimed and then fired! If the gunslingers of the cowboy days had waited to look straight down the barrel, they'd have died young.

I shoot from the hip at paper plates tacked at the bases and first few feet up the trunks of large trees. I fire multiple pistols (revolvers and semi-auto) while moving toward and away (ranging 6 to 30 feet) from the 9" plates. The most accurate that I've dealt with this way was the Colt .357 Python firing .38 Specials.

You have to have both eyes open to maintain the depth perception required to more accurately predict the trajectory and striking point of your shot. (BTW This also work with shotguns using buckshot or slugs...love that pistol grip 12ga pump with spotlight!)

The Python also worked well in the artillery mode without looking straight down the barrel. Firing at a river buoy that was just within the range of the load we were shooting. Rest both hands on a sandbag on the hood of the truck, align with the target, elevate the barrel as much as 45deg and fire! Then WATCH for the bullet to hit the water...either in front of or just beyond the buoy. We knew that I hit it once because we all heard the ring of the steel buoy!

Yes! By all means! Keep both eyes open and USE THE FORCE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

Buy yourself a pistol with a laser pointer and practice with blanks or no actual firing. (It's best to use the real thing!)

Last edited:
Defensive pistols are made to be pulled and fired!...not pulled,aimed and then fired! If the gunslingers of the cowboy days had waited to look straight down the barrel, they'd have died young.

I shoot from the hip at paper plates tacked at the bases and first few feet up the trunks of large trees. I fire multiple pistols (revolvers and semi-auto) while moving toward and away (ranging 6 to 30 feet) from the 9" plates. The most accurate that I've dealt with this way was the Colt .357 Python firing .38 Specials.

You have to have both eyes open to maintain the depth perception required to more accurately predict the trajectory and striking point of your shot. (BTW This also work with shotguns using buckshot or slugs...love that pistol grip 12ga pump with spotlight!)

The Python also worked well in the artillery mode without looking straight down the barrel. Firing at a river buoy that was just within the range of the load we were shooting. Rest both hands on a sandbag on the hood of the truck, align with the target, elevate the barrel as much as 45deg and fire! Then WATCH for the bullet to hit the water...either in front of or just beyond the buoy. We knew that I hit it once because we all heard the ring of the steel buoy!

Yes! By all means! Keep both eyes open and USE THE FORCE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

Buy yourself a pistol with a laser pointer and practice with blanks or no actual firing. (It's best to use the real thing!)

Do you always get your historical perspective from Hollywood?

Do you always get your historical perspective from Hollywood?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkLVUaBcB8]hooray for hollywood 1937 - YouTube[/ame]

BOTH eyes open with a pistol right hand.....one eye closed left hand.....I just can't acquire the front sight quickly enough shooting southpaw. I also can't hit shit with a .45ACP but never miss with a Colt .357 which is what I carried in the RVN.

BOTH eyes open with a pistol right hand.....one eye closed left hand.....I just can't acquire the front sight quickly enough shooting southpaw. I also can't hit shit with a .45ACP but never miss with a Colt .357 which is what I carried in the RVN.

The .45 is a little harder to hit with. I'd suggest the FNX-45 Tactical. I'm damn near as accurate with it as I am a .357 wheel gun with a six in barrel.

Forum List

Back