Socialized Medicine, as demonstrated by Socialized Mail Delivery.

That just makes me want to tip my carrier more because she's obviously following the rules despite what 'other' carriers are doing against the rules. I'll have to figure something out that's under $20 for her :)

That just makes me want to tip my carrier more because she's obviously following the rules despite what 'other' carriers are doing against the rules. I'll have to figure something out that's under $20 for her :)
is your carrier someone fairly new?....in the 33 years i carried mail i have never know anyone who obeys that "rule" and like i said management knows what goes on many of them used to be carriers....you should see the stuff the girls in my office used to carry in at the end of the day......a question EC...are you rural or city?....

If you put more than $20 in a Christmas card and hand it to your mail carrier, who beside you and she is going to know about it? So let your feelings and your budget make that decision, not some unnecessary rule.

You're saying it doesn't make it so. And it is decidedly NOT so.

I merely stated the obvious. Which you chose to ignore.
Obvious WHAT?....Nowhere do I ever experience worse lines than at the Post Office. Only the airport do we see longer lines.
And who is in charge of the security checkpoints? The US fucking government...Gee why am I not surprised.

What is your solution?
Pretty simple. If the line is long, the clerks at at their station to take care of the customers. Then go on break.
Or, cross train ( unions vehemently oppose this concept) other workers to fil in while a clerk is on break...
The bottom line is the work comes first. Then go on break.. If police, firefighters, doctors in emergency rooms, news reporters and a whole host of other people can work their way through breaks and lunch, so can they. I do it all the time. I keep going until I feel like I am ahead of schedule. Then I have a little rest.

Strawman...
Walmart, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, FedEx, Super Stop & Shop, Nordstrom, etc... lines suck.
There are TONS of Private Entities whose Point Of Sales and Service fail the Long Line test.
Costco is magnificent.
Nice try, but complete bunk.
Really? Where?
I think you're full of shit.
You made a statement. A statement in support of the USPS. so be it.
The long line test? Never heard of it.
When do they test? On Christmas ever right before closing time?
On Black Friday?....Please.
Cut the bullshit.
The USPS is the issue here.
The clerks don't give a shit if the line is out the door.

is your carrier someone fairly new?....in the 33 years i carried mail i have never know anyone who obeys that "rule" and like i said management knows what goes on many of them used to be carriers....you should see the stuff the girls in my office used to carry in at the end of the day......a question EC...are you rural or city?....
I leave something for the rural carrier. Usually like 10 or 20 bucks inside a Christmas card. In never knew of any rule limiting the amount of a gratuity.

Obvious WHAT?....Nowhere do I ever experience worse lines than at the Post Office. Only the airport do we see longer lines.
And who is in charge of the security checkpoints? The US fucking government...Gee why am I not surprised.

What is your solution?
Pretty simple. If the line is long, the clerks at at their station to take care of the customers. Then go on break.
Or, cross train ( unions vehemently oppose this concept) other workers to fil in while a clerk is on break...
The bottom line is the work comes first. Then go on break.. If police, firefighters, doctors in emergency rooms, news reporters and a whole host of other people can work their way through breaks and lunch, so can they. I do it all the time. I keep going until I feel like I am ahead of schedule. Then I have a little rest.

Strawman...
Walmart, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, FedEx, Super Stop & Shop, Nordstrom, etc... lines suck.
There are TONS of Private Entities whose Point Of Sales and Service fail the Long Line test.
Costco is magnificent.
Really? Where?
Cut the bullshit.

My statement was OBJECTIVE; I realize that ideologues such as yourself wouldn't recognize OBJECTIVE if it kicked you in the balls.
My statement was NOT in support of the USPS.
I listed the stores rather explicitly.
YOU are full of shit if you will state right here and now that ANY of the Retailers listed would have a faster line than USPS with the same number of people on line.
Shame on you!

What is your solution?

Strawman...
Costco is magnificent.
Really? Where?
Cut the bullshit.
The clerks don't give a shit if the line is out the door
yea they do but there aint a hell of a lot they can do about it....the Station manager or your cities PM is the one to get on....

I leave something for the rural carrier. Usually like 10 or 20 bucks inside a Christmas card. In never knew of any rule limiting the amount of a gratuity.
no one pays attention to it.....if you dont flaunt it who knows?.....and the inspectors have more important things to worry about than some carrier being tipped at Christmas time.........they know it happens too....

What is your solution?

Strawman...
Costco is magnificent.
Really? Where?
Cut the bullshit.
yea they do but there aint a hell of a lot they can do about it....the Station manager or your cities PM is the one to get on....
I have to politely disagree..If they really cared, they would not take their break when the line is long. Customer service.

no one pays attention to it.....if you dont flaunt it who knows?.....and the inspectors have more important things to worry about than some carrier being tipped at Christmas time.........they know it happens too....
I keep it quiet.

What is your solution?

Strawman...
Costco is magnificent.
Really? Where?
Cut the bullshit.
I have to politely disagree..If they really cared, they would not take their break when the line is long. Customer service.
blame the PO....there is a rule that they have to take breaks after so many hours, and lunch before a certain time ....we carriers were told the same thing, we have to take a lunch before noon.....i never took a lunch and very seldom took a break.....but i didnt have someone watching me....

Last edited:
~ We're a rural route, and no we've had the same carrier for probably 10 years now. I even said that "pfft they'll never know, go have dinner" and she gave it back...

Maybe this is another case of Alaska being stuck in the 50's lol

~ We're a rural route, and no we've had the same carrier for probably 10 years now. I even said that "pfft they'll never know, go have dinner" and she gave it back...

oh so you are up there....well than i think thats just her ....i had breakfast a few days ago with a buddy of mine who is still carrying mail and where he lives in a city called Norco he has a rural carrier and i mentioned the gift giving thing and if he gives his carrier anything,he says he gives the guy $25.00 and the guy says thanks and goes on....so rules or not,thats just her....at least thats my opinion....

blame the PO....there is a rule that they have to take breaks after so many hours, and lunch before a certain time ....we carriers were told the same thing, we have to take a lunch before noon.....i never took a lunch and very seldom took a break.....but i didnt have someone watching me....

That's the Union... . And it's a function of sociopathy common to such.

Where one has clients waiting, one does not take a break.

That's the Union... . And it's a function of sociopathy common to such.

Where one has clients waiting, one does not take a break.
its a combination of federal and state laws along with the unions and its not the clerks fault if the management does not cover situations like that ...we have had the rules read to us many a time.....if you are caught violating them you can get a letter of warning and the PO will have to pay you, if they violate the break and lunch laws....like i said its managements call to have people to replace someone who is required to break and they have to be certified by the inspection service...and also like i said....the PO management does not care about customer service,no matter what they tell you.....

Give her a prepaid gift card (like a Visa/MC)...don't tell her what's on it.

Forum List

Back