Socialized Medicine, as demonstrated by Socialized Mail Delivery.

3def8e7d-48dc-44f9-a2fc-2d8340583142.jpg

I had to run to the post office today and when I got there I found this line. You're only looking at the few people closest to the counter, there were 30+ people behind the camera.

So I post this to social media... and the comment you see above, was offered by a Post Office 30 year man, who is incapable of seeing the problem, for what it is.

I don't see a problem in that picture. If you're concern has anything to do with the line, well let's face it. Know body likes to wait in line. But that's pretty much the way it is everywhere you go now. And I do mean everywhere you go. It's the same, so to pick on this one operation as being extrodinarily bad while ignoring the long line you just waited in at your bank, the dept store, grocery store &, fast food drive thru kinda reeks. Just saying.
You wait on lines like this elsewhere? ...
Really? I have seen no such thing.

Recent interviews with the CEOs of both UPS and FedEx have stated it is currently impossible for a private entity to replace the USPS.
If you have ideas on how to do this, please post them and these ideas may be a terrific investment.
If either or both companies were offered the opportunity to take over, they would find a way.
Now, you may answer my questions.....
Please refrain from responding with anything else. Just answer the questions.

Both CEOs addressed this also and they both had great admiration for USPS Operations.
You really should read Financial Magazines once in a while.
Again you ducked the questions.
I don't care about the CEO's....For that matter, unless you can post a link so that others may read, these statements don't exist...
One more time....Answer the questions.

I don't have to memorize every article I have ever read.
You are supposed to represent the High Information Party and yet you NEVER read these articles?

Yes or No: Do you read Fortune, Money, the Wall Street Journal or any other publication with actual CEO interviews?
Don't put your lack of homework on me...You made the claim. At least have the balls to stand behind it.
Links or shut it

You mean Limbaugh never mentioned this and you don't read any financial magazines.
That would be like me mentioning something from an article years ago that isn't in the Internet.
Well, if ain't on the Internet, it never happened.
So I guess the American Revolution never happened.

I had to run to the post office today and when I got there I found this line. You're only looking at the few people closest to the counter, there were 30+ people behind the camera.

So I post this to social media... and the comment you see above, was offered by a Post Office 30 year man, who is incapable of seeing the problem, for what it is.

I don't see a problem in that picture. If you're concern has anything to do with the line, well let's face it. Know body likes to wait in line. But that's pretty much the way it is everywhere you go now. And I do mean everywhere you go. It's the same, so to pick on this one operation as being extrodinarily bad while ignoring the long line you just waited in at your bank, the dept store, grocery store &, fast food drive thru kinda reeks. Just saying.

Walmart.

I don't see a problem in that picture. If you're concern has anything to do with the line, well let's face it. Know body likes to wait in line. But that's pretty much the way it is everywhere you go now. ... Just saying.

You're saying it doesn't make it so. And it is decidedly NOT so.

I merely stated the obvious. Which you chose to ignore.
Obvious WHAT?....Nowhere do I ever experience worse lines than at the Post Office. Only the airport do we see longer lines.
And who is in charge of the security checkpoints? The US fucking government...Gee why am I not surprised.

I don't see a problem in that picture. If you're concern has anything to do with the line, well let's face it. Know body likes to wait in line. But that's pretty much the way it is everywhere you go now. ... Just saying.

Obvious WHAT?....Nowhere do I ever experience worse lines than at the Post Office. Only the airport do we see longer lines.
And who is in charge of the security checkpoints? The US fucking government...Gee why am I not surprised.

What is your solution?

If either or both companies were offered the opportunity to take over, they would find a way.
Now, you may answer my questions.....
Please refrain from responding with anything else. Just answer the questions.

Both CEOs addressed this also and they both had great admiration for USPS Operations.
You really should read Financial Magazines once in a while.
Again you ducked the questions.
I don't care about the CEO's....For that matter, unless you can post a link so that others may read, these statements don't exist...
One more time....Answer the questions.

I don't have to memorize every article I have ever read.
You are supposed to represent the High Information Party and yet you NEVER read these articles?

Yes or No: Do you read Fortune, Money, the Wall Street Journal or any other publication with actual CEO interviews?
Don't put your lack of homework on me...You made the claim. At least have the balls to stand behind it.
Links or shut it

You mean Limbaugh never mentioned this and you don't read any financial magazines.
That would be like me mentioning something from an article years ago that isn't in the Internet.
Well, if ain't on the Internet, it never happened.
So I guess the American Revolution never happened.
who said anything about the internet. The interviews are available somewhere....FIND THEM...

What is your solution?
Pretty simple. If the line is long, the clerks at at their station to take care of the customers. Then go on break.
Or, cross train ( unions vehemently oppose this concept) other workers to fil in while a clerk is on break...
The bottom line is the work comes first. Then go on break.. If police, firefighters, doctors in emergency rooms, news reporters and a whole host of other people can work their way through breaks and lunch, so can they. I do it all the time. I keep going until I feel like I am ahead of schedule. Then I have a little rest.

Now... over the half hour I was in there... there was easily 50 people in line when I got there and when I left it was probably close to 100... with people waiting in line OUT THE DOOR... standing in the sun. How many saw that line and drove on by is anyone's guess.

Seven people ahead of me... Two people working the counter... the guy on the Left was still serving the same guy that was there when I got there, when I left.

My bill was $17.00 to ship a package to NY.

So... easy math indicates that TODAY, that post office had the opportunity, the equipment, facility and personnel to produce an easy $3400/hour.

Which, due to pure incompetence, it instead earned $272/hour.

And THAT folks is the net result of socialized: ANYTHING.
maybe they need a scale that prints out weight as a bar code.

Maybe they need to put some of those postoffice employees into those Point of Sale Stations.

The Post Office is operated as a social program and not a business... and as a consequence, it's an albatross that is being subsidized to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars a year, by the US Taxpayers. It should be shut down or the Union should be shut out, so that it can be managed as a business.
not the unions fault the way its run......blame your congress....and prove the tax thing....
The existence of the unions does hinder efficiency. There is no denying that.

What is your solution?
Pretty simple. If the line is long, the clerks at at their station to take care of the customers. Then go on break.
Or, cross train ( unions vehemently oppose this concept) other workers to fil in while a clerk is on break...
The bottom line is the work comes first. Then go on break.. If police, firefighters, doctors in emergency rooms, news reporters and a whole host of other people can work their way through breaks and lunch, so can they. I do it all the time. I keep going until I feel like I am ahead of schedule. Then I have a little rest.

Strawman...
Walmart, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, FedEx, Super Stop & Shop, Nordstrom, etc... lines suck.
There are TONS of Private Entities whose Point Of Sales and Service fail the Long Line test.
Costco is magnificent.
Nice try, but complete bunk.

Maybe they need to put some of those postoffice employees into those Point of Sale Stations.

The Post Office is operated as a social program and not a business... and as a consequence, it's an albatross that is being subsidized to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars a year, by the US Taxpayers. It should be shut down or the Union should be shut out, so that it can be managed as a business.

The Post Office is perhaps the MOST "audited for efficiency agencies" in existence.
All one has to do is go and observe the Supervisors watching the clerks like a hawk.
In so far as an entity increasing our taxes, any entity that pays it's employees minimum wage and trains them how to apply for Food Stamps, Welfare and Medicaid is just as much a cause.
Oh please. The Walmart argument?
Yes, the USPS may be audited. But the audits apparently have no teeth, All that matters is the results. And the USPS has a performance problem...
A couple years ago a study was preformed on the USPS . It was discovered that the Charlotte,NC region had the nation's slowest mail delivery system of all large metro areas in the US.
When interviewed a spokesperson said that the Charlotte area had a 97% success rate. The reporter then queried on the other three percent of the mail which was delivered late or not at all. The spokesperson dodged the question.
So using that rate of FAILURE.....Let's say the Charlotte bulk station processes 10 million pieces of mail per day. At a 3% rate of failure that means 300,000 pieces of mail are either late or not delivered.
That is UNACCEPTABLE....Any other business which fails to serve 3 % of it's customers would be OUT of business. And very quickly. Unfortunately, the USPS is protected by the federal government The workers protected by their unions.
Any modern country requires a system where paper and package must be moved from point A to point B with as little extraneous cost and at peak efficiency.
The USPS is NOT getting it done.

Neither UPS nor FedEx have an infrastructure that comes anywhere near the USPS.
The question is what are the factors that lead to this problem and what it takes to achieve as close to 100% as possible.
If the Audits had no teeth, they wouldn't be published for Republicans such as yourself to critique.
Oh, so to you this is political?
What does the size of the USPS' infrastructure have to do with anything?
Wehn these discussions regarding the stability and efficiency of the USPS, why it is you libs come out in force to defend the USPS to the point of near worship of the Postal Service...
I don't understand why this particular entity is so important to you. Why is it?
Question....If the USPS as we know it were to shut down at midnight only to be replaced by a non government entity would you really care? I mean, what is the difference which entity gets you your bills and other crap?..
And BTW, this bulk mail rate? Get RID OF IT...Let those who send out their annoying ,landfill clogging tree wasting garbage pay the first class rate. The USPS would then be able to operate much more smoothly and be swimming in cash.....
the only problem with that is the PO is mandated by congress to not make a profit,they are supposed to break even.....

The republican Congress forced the USPS to, over 10 years, fully fund its retirement program for the next 75 years. That's not "spend 75 years putting money in the bank," it's "have 75 years' worth of money in the bank within 10 years."

It's drained the USPS' operating funds to the point where it can barely function. The good news is that the timeframe will be up in a few more years and the USPS will be able to go back to normal.

Why did Congress do this? To force privatization of mail delivery. Somebody stood to make a shitload of cash from that.
Simple. Because Postal workers get to retire at a relatively young age. My friend's uncle retired at 55 with a full pension. He also "banked" three years of unused sick time and almost a year's worth of vacation time. Which he elected to take in regular installments rather than a lump sum.....BTW, he started with the PO when he was 20...
That pension, and hundreds of thousands of retired PO workers MUST be paid...so the Congress had to make sure the pensioners were taken care of. And of course with people living much longer, even more funding would be required to keep the pensions checks flowing.
IMO the USPS SHOULD be privatized.
Heck the USPS has lost half of its business to private enterprise as well as the internet.
Did you know that the Postmaster General wanted Congress to tax the internet because people were no longer writing letters and using the PO? Would you be surprised that there is an obscure law that requires us to use the Postal Service for certain kinds of packages. Mainly one ounce envelopes?
The USPS even got the phone carriers in on it. The long distance wireline carriers wanted to be able to charge every internet connection a long distance charge saying that the internet users were using the "common carrier" network.
They wanted to tax email.
The USPS is in the condition it is in not because of pensions or anything like that. The USPS is mismanaged and is inefficient.
The workers are over paid for the level of skill required to become a postal worker.
The workers are over paid for the level of skill required to become a postal worker.
thats true of the clerks but not the carriers.....i dont know how many people i have seen come in and work a week and quit and the ones who stick around admit that they thought the job would be easy until they have to put up a route, pull it down, load the too small truck and then get out there and deliver the route in 8 hours.....and when its pouring rain?....then you really see who wants to work or not...most letter carriers who have worked at least 25 years have had knee surgery or just bad knees bad backs and shoulders,attacked by dogs,some have been bitten, some bad enough to require hospitalization.....a clerk gets the same pay and works inside and when 8 hours is up goes home,if he/she wasnt done with what they were doing,no biggie the person on the next shift takes over....not that way with a carrier,its dark and you cant see what your doing and you still have an hour to go?...tough....a letter carrier is the hardest working person in the PO and deserves the pay they get.....
I'm not really referring to the carriers per se. They are the warriors. They can only perform as well as the ones who handle the mail before them.
With that in mind there is one thing you probably already know, but I will inject this anyway. Most US mail is delivered not by USPS employees but contract carriers.
In fact the only municipality in this entire metro area that uses USPS employees to carry and deliver mail is Charlotte. And only the inner ring most urban areas are employee carriers.
IMO it is the people in the bulk centers and the actual post offices which are the issue. It seems to me that the clerks especially are concerned only with the time they get to go on their next break. Their attitude is the customers are there for them rather then they being there for the customers.
Most US mail is delivered not by USPS employees but contract carriers.
if you mean Rural Carriers you are wrong....there is way more City Carriers and Cities get way more mail than Rural areas....if thats what you are referring to....
Look there used to be employee carriers in my town. There are not any longer. There haven't been for years. And this place has 35,000 people.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter because the guys and gals that deliver the mail are really not at issue here.
if your area is considered rural you have rural carriers,if its suburban you can have both rural and city if its considered a city its city carriers...

Go to FedEx or UPS when there's 10-20 people on line; a freaking long wait.

The post office will also pick up at your house at no extra charge. As a matter of fact, if you print labels and postage online, you actually get a discount as well as not having to stand on line.

So your gripes about the post office are based on a lack of information, as is your notion that the U.S. has socialized medicine.
Ahh....no sane person would put up that little flag on their mailbox.....It says "important stuff inside. Steal me".....And the Post office is NOT going to pick up whatever free of charge. If it doesn't fit in the mailbox, the customer has to take it to the nearest PO.....
On the subject of rates.....Why in the HELL does the USPS charge the same for an envelope to go one mile as it does 3,000 miles?
That is very stupid.
The rate structure should reflect not only weight, but the distance the piece must travel.....
.And the Post office is NOT going to pick up whatever free of charge.
unless things have changed in the last 2 years the PO does not charge to pick up what you have.....
.Why in the HELL does the USPS charge the same for an envelope to go one mile as it does 3,000 miles?
That is very stupid.

talk to your congress...

The republican Congress forced the USPS to, over 10 years, fully fund its retirement program for the next 75 years. That's not "spend 75 years putting money in the bank," it's "have 75 years' worth of money in the bank within 10 years."

It's drained the USPS' operating funds to the point where it can barely function. The good news is that the timeframe will be up in a few more years and the USPS will be able to go back to normal.

Why did Congress do this? To force privatization of mail delivery. Somebody stood to make a shitload of cash from that.

Yes... That's because the Democrats, specifically the unions have raided the USPS Pension fund for decades and it was on the brink of bankruptcy. So... given the absurd obligations to which the USPS has conceded, having a funded pension is essential to the pensions of the thousands of 50 year olds that retire from the USPS every year.

Now... with that said, the photograph shows THE PROBLEM. Despite having PLENTY of people to man those Point of Sale stations available... where those people standing in line waiting for more than a half hour to exchange THEIR MONEY for shipping services... the Post Office Management has created an environment which wholly disregards any sense of responsibility to their employer, who's paying those salary and pensions... from BOTH ENDS.
Despite having PLENTY of people to man those Point of Sale stations available..
they dont have plenty of people to man those stations....the only clerks that can take money are ones who have been vetted and ok'd by the inspection service..
the Post Office Management has created an environment which wholly disregards any sense of responsibility to their employer
90% of the people i worked with were very responsible to their employer....its not their fault if postal middle management sucks...
As with any government entity, the job of management is to figure out how to justify their paycheck. And make life miserable for the rank and file
That's not to say the workers are blameless.
in the PO thats mostly middle and upper management....the people who actually touch the mail get the job done in spite of the bullshit we get thrown at us from them........once again you would have to work there to understand.....

Yes... That's because the Democrats, specifically the unions have raided the USPS Pension fund for decades and it was on the brink of bankruptcy. So... given the absurd obligations to which the USPS has conceded, having a funded pension is essential to the pensions of the thousands of 50 year olds that retire from the USPS every year.

Now... with that said, the photograph shows THE PROBLEM. Despite having PLENTY of people to man those Point of Sale stations available... where those people standing in line waiting for more than a half hour to exchange THEIR MONEY for shipping services... the Post Office Management has created an environment which wholly disregards any sense of responsibility to their employer, who's paying those salary and pensions... from BOTH ENDS.
Did someone help you post something so utterly stupid or do you claim sole responsibility???

I not only posted it... I took the photo and created the Meme, from my photo and comments from career postal workers.

And I want you to know that I see your desire to deny reality, despite having no means to do so.

Your concession is duly noted and summarily accepted.

Yes, your experience at the PO on a busy day is proof of an systemic failure in the entire USPS.

Moronic OP

i waited in a 10 person line just last Wednesday at a UPS store to fax 5 lousy pages to Las Vegas were im buying a house.....that evening i get a call from the mortgage company asking me were the papers are.....the fucker entered one wrong number on the number i gave her....so they never got them....had to go back and act tough.....lol

What is your solution?
spoon....the only clerks who can touch money have to go through a bunch of shit with the inspection service and become bonded....the guy moving parcels inside just cant walk up to a window and say next.....not even the station manager can do that,and if you ever come up short....you are going to be in the hot seat....which is why not to many want that job....

Now... over the half hour I was in there... there was easily 50 people in line when I got there and when I left it was probably close to 100... with people waiting in line OUT THE DOOR... standing in the sun. How many saw that line and drove on by is anyone's guess.

Seven people ahead of me... Two people working the counter... the guy on the Left was still serving the same guy that was there when I got there, when I left.

My bill was $17.00 to ship a package to NY.

So... easy math indicates that TODAY, that post office had the opportunity, the equipment, facility and personnel to produce an easy $3400/hour.

Which, due to pure incompetence, it instead earned $272/hour.

And THAT folks is the net result of socialized: ANYTHING.

not the unions fault the way its run......blame your congress....and prove the tax thing....
The existence of the unions does hinder efficiency. There is no denying that.
the unions in the PO are the only ones who intercede with PO management when they do what they usually do and treat people like shit.....no one else steps in.....working in the dark in the rain or snow?,management dont care they want the mail out,in the last few years some carriers back east working in the dark in a snowstorm were hit by cars....we have had carriers out here attacked by dogs they could not see.....one guy got bit and got a letter of warning for working unsafely,no it wasnt for working in the dark,it was for walking upon a dog.....he should have taken precautions....

Again, Where_r_my_Keys, isn't the fact that people will wait in line for postal services proof that they offer a valuable service?

The service they're waiting on is Parcel Shipments... . The value of which, is demonstrated by the explosive growth of companies that specialize in such.

The point which you're trying to conflate is letter service. The vast majority of which is now electronic, instant and comes at no additional cost beyond that common to one's ISP and/or cell/data rates.

No one is waiting in that line to send a letter... except of course, for the occasional obama constituent.
So those aren't people waiting in line?

Yes those are people standing in line... because they came to do business. Those are NOT people standing in the point of sale stations, therefore the potential for those people to do business is starkly limited.

And THAT is inexcusable.

They have the manpower, they have the facility, the material; everything is in place to DO business... INCLUDING THOSE PEOPLE STANDING IN LINE: OKA: THE MARKET... and THAT picture shows that they're failing, where virtually NO Private business organization would fail.

Now you can try to obscure that point. You can deflect from that point and you can try to hide from that point.

But the point will remain standing.
you cant run like a business when congress ties their hands and steps on their toes......
The post office spends inordinate amounts of money on rural delivery and maintaining post offices in very small towns. Although the number served is far less than in urban areas, these people exert consider pressure on congressmen. Couple that with the pressure from the pro-junk advertisers and the United Postal Workers Union and you have a very strong lobby to maintain all current services.

On the other side, UPS and FedX are always lobbying to privatize the postal system. Of course, just say the word privatize and you have a lot of Democrats against it plus a significant number of Republicans from rural districts. So I think we're going to have the postal service around a long time but it will eventually disappear.

Last edited:
... I'm so happy I live where I do. Clearly there /are/ benefits to being "stuck in the 50's" heh

The ladies at the post office know most of us, not by name perhaps, but certainly they recognize us. My rural route carrier brings packages up to the door and we chat, the kids and I make her cookies for Christmas every year (she said she can't take any form of "cash" tip, not even gift cards so we have to make do.) Also everyone on my street puts the flags up, and when our carrier makes a mistake we put their mail in the right box, or even go drop it off to them (depends which neighbors, the ones across the street are handicapped so we don't make them walk to the door and the police officer couple works the night shift.)

Again, Where_r_my_Keys, isn't the fact that people will wait in line for postal services proof that they offer a valuable service?

The service they're waiting on is Parcel Shipments... . The value of which, is demonstrated by the explosive growth of companies that specialize in such.

The point which you're trying to conflate is letter service. The vast majority of which is now electronic, instant and comes at no additional cost beyond that common to one's ISP and/or cell/data rates.

No one is waiting in that line to send a letter... except of course, for the occasional obama constituent.
So those aren't people waiting in line?

Yes those are people standing in line... because they came to do business. Those are NOT people standing in the point of sale stations, therefore the potential for those people to do business is starkly limited.

And THAT is inexcusable.

They have the manpower, they have the facility, the material; everything is in place to DO business... INCLUDING THOSE PEOPLE STANDING IN LINE: OKA: THE MARKET... and THAT picture shows that they're failing, where virtually NO Private business organization would fail.

Now you can try to obscure that point. You can deflect from that point and you can try to hide from that point.

But the point will remain standing.
you cant run like a business when congress ties their hands and steps on their toes......
The post office spends inordinate amounts of money on rural delivery and maintaining post offices in very small towns. Although the number served is far less than in urban areas, these people exert consider pressure on congressmen. Couple that with the pressure from the pro-junk advertisers and the United Postal Workers Union and you have a very strong lobby to maintain all current services.

On the other side, UPS and FedX are always lobbying to privatize the postal system. Of course, just say the word privatize and you have a lot of Democrats against it plus a significant number of Republicans from rural districts. So I think we're going to have the postal service around a long time but it will eventually disappear.
What is wrong with the People using socialism to bailout capitalism, for the public good?

Forum List

Back