somali - muslim cop shoots pajama wearing woman dead in Minnesota

there should be one rule , cameras on at ALL TIMES and the cameras should be State of the ART in camera evolving technology . With on and off buttons on cameras we now have to believe the words and accounts of a diversity hired somali muslim cop that just shot an unarmed , pajama clad woman to death for no apparent reason Admiral .

That costs money that many police departments do not have.

Why do we have to believe what he says? There was another officer present.
Certainly after being dispatched to a call they should have been turned on

Some body cams record thirty seconds prior to activation which means they're on even when off. The only catch, the cam must be activated.

Just playing Devil's advocate here. What if the threat suddenly appeared and he did not have time to switch it on?

now you have and asked and answered my opinion that the cam should be on all the time

with the officer having no means to turn it on or off

Sure! I would want my camera on all the time so my supervisors can tell how long it takes for me to go to the bathroom! Those shots of the inside of a bathroom stall would be riveting entertainment!

There are countless times when you would not want to be recording, mostly because it would show nothing of importance.

tough shit

dont like it

dont work for em

That is not the policy. You need to get a grip!

obviously that is not the policy ya dope

stop with your dancing around in circles

i said it should be the policy that the officer

does not have the ability to switch them on or off

for days just like this

where the "officer" did not follow policy with regards to his cams

That is where you are wrong. Since they were not searching for anyone and there was no immediate threat, they were following the procedure exactly. You just keep making stuff up to fit your beliefs. You can't do that!
From what I've read you are correct. Policy is only been in effect for 1 year and was pushed following Castille. Policy is open to interpretation and cameras are not required turned on at all times.
https://www.google.com/amp/minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/17/good-question-body-cameras/amp/
This link also has access to MPD department policy.

Sure! I would want my camera on all the time so my supervisors can tell how long it takes for me to go to the bathroom! Those shots of the inside of a bathroom stall would be riveting entertainment!

There are countless times when you would not want to be recording, mostly because it would show nothing of importance.

tough shit

dont like it

dont work for em

for days just like this

That is where you are wrong. Since they were not searching for anyone and there was no immediate threat, they were following the procedure exactly. You just keep making stuff up to fit your beliefs. You can't do that!
From what I've read you are correct. Policy is only been in effect for 1 year and was pushed following Castille. Policy is open to interpretation and cameras are not required turned on at all times.
https://www.google.com/amp/minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/17/good-question-body-cameras/amp/
This link also has access to MPD department policy.

Thank you for finding and linking the info!

There is no excuse for the killing of this woman. There may be some explanation, however feeble.

Certainly after being dispatched to a call they should have been turned on

Why? A camera would show the same thing as a dashcam until they exited the car.
Because it's their stated policy......both officers should be reprimanded and or disciplined for not following Dept rules

The rules are not interpreted like you think. I even read in one article that the officers were following the policy, and that was not an issue. It all comes down to interpretation and the police department will do that when the time comes.

It disturbs me that this could be as simple a trigger-happy cop, but all of the surrounding drama is ridiculous. The truth will come out, unless it involves liberals.
Have not seen any such article stating they were following policy and I am local.....I have seen one expressing the Chiefs dismay and confusion as to why they werent on

I could go back through about the twenty articles I have read on this, but the chief is performing a CYA move. I read the actual policy, word for word and he would be hard pressed to prove the policy was not being followed in the circumstances described in the media so far.

Nothing makes sense about this case, so making shit up only makes it worse.

If he got scared, pulled his gun, and shot the woman, I think he should be locked away for life at minimum.

Let me tell you what bothers me the most about the media coverage.

First reports were that the woman was shot multiple times. Then it morphed into she was shot through the door multiple times. Later it became she was shot once in the abdomen, with no mention of the door. I actually saw a newscast on TV where they reported she was shot in the face through the car's window, and then finally the coroner's report where she was shot once in the abdomen, if I read it correctly.

I still am not sure!

Minneapolis Police Dept. final bodycam policy released
POSTED: JUN 30 2016 11:18AM CDT

UPDATED: JUN 30 2016 05:17PM CDT

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) - The Minneapolis Police Department released its final body camera policy Wednesday in a special order from Chief Janee Harteau. The policy defines situation in which nearly 600 Minneapolis officers will be required to activate their body cameras and when they can deactivate them. It also outlines how body camera data will be stores and how it will be handled during investigations.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton signed a bill toward the end of the 2016 legislative session that restricts most body camera footage from public review. Under that law, bodycam video showing the discharge of a weapon or use of force resulting in “substantial bodily harm” would be released to the public at the conclusion of an investigation, but other requests to release footage would be subject to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act.

MPD’s goals for bodycams

1. Enhance accountability and public trust by preserving evidence of officer interaction with
citizens.

2. Capture digital audio/video evidence for criminal, civil and traffic-related court cases.

3. Assist officers with recalling facts or other details captured by the equipment that will help
them accurately articulate a chain of events when writing reports.

4. Serve as a training tool for officer safety and best practices in the MPD.

5. Assist in the assessment of contacts between officers and the public by reviewing
procedures and interpersonal actions.

The policy explicitly states that bodycams “shall not be used for the purpose of intimidating or discouraging an individual from observing police activity, making appropriate inquiries to the police or making a complaint.”

Off-duty officers must wear bodycams

Officers assigned bodycam should use them during approved, off-duty work within the city of Minneapolis, the policy states. But officers assigned a bodycam should not wear them if they are working for another law enforcement agency.

Situations that require a bodycam activation

When safe to do so, Minneapolis officers should activate their bodycams during the following situations. Activation shall occur as soon as possible, but before any citizen contact.

Traffic stops.

Suspicious Person stops.

Suspicious Vehicle stops.

Any vehicular response requiring emergency driving as defined by MPD P/P 7402, or emergency response as defined by MPD P/P 7403.

Vehicle pursuits.

Work-related transports not involving a ridealong or another City employee in their official capacity as a City employee.

Any search, including but not limited to searches of vehicles, persons, and
buildings.

Any contact involving criminal activity.

Any contact involving physical or verbal confrontations.

Any contact that is, or becomes adversarial.

When advising a person of their Miranda rights.

When ordered to by a supervisor.

Prior to any use of force. (If a bodycam is not activated prior to a use of force, it shall be activated as soon as it is safe to do so.)

Any tactical entry or forced entry into a building, unless a supervisor has determined in advance that the video or audio data could result in the disclosure of operational or tactical information that would compromise the effectiveness of future actions or jeopardize officer safety.

If a situation changes to require activation, the officer shall immediately activate the BWC as soon as it is safe to do so.

Approved deactivation scenarios

While protecting accident scenes.

Monitoring assigned traffic posts.

Assisting motorists.

To protect the identity of an officer in an undercover capacity.

To protect the identity of a confidential reliable informant.

The incident or event is of such duration that it is necessary to deactivate the camera to conserve power or storage. If it is necessary to discuss issues surrounding the incident/investigation with a supervisor or another officer in private, officers may turn off their BWC. This includes discussions between Field Training Officers with officers in training that are specific to training issues.

If a request is made for a bodycam to be turned off by a party being contacted, the officer should take into account the overall circumstances and what is most beneficial to all involved, before deciding to honor the request. For example, an officer may choose to turn off the BWC if its operation is inhibiting a victim or witness from giving a statement. Factors to consider may include the type of call and the vulnerability of the victim, such as the victim of a sexual assault.

When ordered to by a supervisor. Both the officer and supervisor shall document the reason for the deactivation as described in the Report Writing section of this policy.

View a complete copy of the 11-page policy (PDF)

UP NEXT: Minneapolis Police Dept. final bodycam policy released

Cam should have been on

Why? A camera would show the same thing as a dashcam until they exited the car.
Because it's their stated policy......both officers should be reprimanded and or disciplined for not following Dept rules

The rules are not interpreted like you think. I even read in one article that the officers were following the policy, and that was not an issue. It all comes down to interpretation and the police department will do that when the time comes.

It disturbs me that this could be as simple a trigger-happy cop, but all of the surrounding drama is ridiculous. The truth will come out, unless it involves liberals.
Have not seen any such article stating they were following policy and I am local.....I have seen one expressing the Chiefs dismay and confusion as to why they werent on

I could go back through about the twenty articles I have read on this, but the chief is performing a CYA move. I read the actual policy, word for word and he would be hard pressed to prove the policy was not being followed in the circumstances described in the media so far.

If he got scared, pulled his gun, and shot the woman, I think he should be locked away for life at minimum.

First reports were that the woman was shot multiple times. Then it morphed into she was shot through the door multiple times. Later it became she was shot once in the abdomen, with no mention of the door. I actually saw a newscast on TV where they reported she was shot in the face through the car's window, and then finally the coroner's report where she was shot once in the abdomen, if I read it correctly.

I still am not sure!

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) - The Minneapolis Police Department released its final body camera policy Wednesday in a special order from Chief Janee Harteau. The policy defines situation in which nearly 600 Minneapolis officers will be required to activate their body cameras and when they can deactivate them. It also outlines how body camera data will be stores and how it will be handled during investigations.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton signed a bill toward the end of the 2016 legislative session that restricts most body camera footage from public review. Under that law, bodycam video showing the discharge of a weapon or use of force resulting in “substantial bodily harm” would be released to the public at the conclusion of an investigation, but other requests to release footage would be subject to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act.

MPD’s goals for bodycams

1. Enhance accountability and public trust by preserving evidence of officer interaction with
citizens.

2. Capture digital audio/video evidence for criminal, civil and traffic-related court cases.

3. Assist officers with recalling facts or other details captured by the equipment that will help

5. Assist in the assessment of contacts between officers and the public by reviewing

The policy explicitly states that bodycams “shall not be used for the purpose of intimidating or discouraging an individual from observing police activity, making appropriate inquiries to the police or making a complaint.”

Officers assigned bodycam should use them during approved, off-duty work within the city of Minneapolis, the policy states. But officers assigned a bodycam should not wear them if they are working for another law enforcement agency.

When safe to do so, Minneapolis officers should activate their bodycams during the following situations. Activation shall occur as soon as possible, but before any citizen contact.

Traffic stops.

Suspicious Person stops.

Any vehicular response requiring emergency driving as defined by MPD P/P 7402, or emergency response as defined by MPD P/P 7403.

Vehicle pursuits.

Work-related transports not involving a ridealong or another City employee in their official capacity as a City employee.

buildings.

Prior to any use of force. (If a bodycam is not activated prior to a use of force, it shall be activated as soon as it is safe to do so.)

Any tactical entry or forced entry into a building, unless a supervisor has determined in advance that the video or audio data could result in the disclosure of operational or tactical information that would compromise the effectiveness of future actions or jeopardize officer safety.

If a situation changes to require activation, the officer shall immediately activate the BWC as soon as it is safe to do so.

Assisting motorists.

The incident or event is of such duration that it is necessary to deactivate the camera to conserve power or storage. If it is necessary to discuss issues surrounding the incident/investigation with a supervisor or another officer in private, officers may turn off their BWC. This includes discussions between Field Training Officers with officers in training that are specific to training issues.

If a request is made for a bodycam to be turned off by a party being contacted, the officer should take into account the overall circumstances and what is most beneficial to all involved, before deciding to honor the request. For example, an officer may choose to turn off the BWC if its operation is inhibiting a victim or witness from giving a statement. Factors to consider may include the type of call and the vulnerability of the victim, such as the victim of a sexual assault.

When ordered to by a supervisor. Both the officer and supervisor shall document the reason for the deactivation as described in the Report Writing section of this policy.

Cam should have been on

Really? Which one of those situations requiring the cameras to be on was met while talking to someone standing outside the police car that was not an imminent threat?

Any contact involving criminal activity.......

could fit it under 1 or 2 more they were responding to possible assault....sounds criminal.....

Any contact involving criminal activity.......

could fit it under 1 or 2 more they were responding to possible assault....sounds criminal.....

So they were to assume the woman was the criminal? No wonder she got shot and killed!

You are simply not thinking this through logically. Try again.
You are simply trying to make an excuse minus logic ...see 2 can play. Cops reticence to use them is dismaying using logic........by and large they deal with criminals....what do criminals do when caught.....they lie.......but let's not have any proof of that

I still am not sure!

MPD’s goals for bodycams

citizens.

Traffic stops.

Suspicious Person stops.

Vehicle pursuits.

buildings.

Assisting motorists.

Cam should have been on

Really? Which one of those situations requiring the cameras to be on was met while talking to someone standing outside the police car that was not an imminent threat?
They had responded to a 911 call of a sexual assault happening in the alley. Wouldn't that warrant turning on the cams?

What kind of sexual offense could they have been suspecting from a woman holding a cell phone and speaking directly to them?

Just playing Devil's advocate here. What if the threat suddenly appeared and he did not have time to switch it on?

now you have and asked and answered my opinion that the cam should be on all the time

with the officer having no means to turn it on or off

tough shit

dont like it

dont work for em

for days just like this

Since they were not searching for anyone and there was no immediate threat, they were following the procedure exactly.

it has already been pointed out to you once also prior to the use of force

once again you left out

repeating your same bullshit does not make it any more correct

so once again it remains a strong case

insuring that the officers do not have the ability

to switch them on or off

btw if the officers family is correct on what they are saying about the officer

he is in a lot of trouble

6. MVR equipment shall be in Record Mode: (08/01/11)

· For every stop/contact where a motor vehicle is involved and shall record the stop/contact in its entirety. (04/11/07) (08/01/11)
· For domestic abuse incident interviews conducted inside or in close proximity to an MVR equipped vehicle. (08/01/11)
· Any time a person is transported in a squad, regardless of the destination. This does not apply when an authorized ride-along is the only other person in the squad. When practical, officers shall begin recording when the person is placed in the squad, regardless if transportation begins immediately following activation. (06/09/15)

8. MVR equipment shall not be manually deactivated for an arrest, DUI, Use of Force, traffic stop or a “Significant Incident” as defined in this policy. (08/01/11)

body cams

E. Activation
1. Activation Required
a. When safe to do so, officers shall manually activate the BWC during the following situations.
· Traffic stops.
· Suspicious Person stops.
· Suspicious Vehicle stops.
· Any vehicular response requiring emergency driving as defined by MPD P/P 7-402, or emergency response as defined by MPD P/P 7-403.
· Vehicle pursuits.
· Work-related transports not involving a ride-along or another City employee in their official capacity as a City employee.
· Any search, including but not limited to searches of vehicles, persons, and buildings.
· Any contact involving criminal activity.
· Any contact involving physical or verbal confrontations.
· Any contact that is, or becomes adversarial.
· When advising a person of their Miranda rights.
· When ordered to by a supervisor.
· Prior to any use of force. If a BWC is not activated prior to a use of force, it shall be activated as soon as it is safe to do so.

Noor is still not talking and can't be compelled to do so. Partner claims they were startled by loud noise. Police are seeking a man seen biking in the vicinity.
My guess is I can see a claim coming that they are going to say they thought they were being ambushed.
Officials: Australian woman shot after cops heard loud sound
Just indict the guy.......if he doesnt want to talk to his boss or investigators he can tell it to the jury....or not as he pleases.....doubt it will end well for him if thats his choice.

Noor is still not talking and can't be compelled to do so. Partner claims they were startled by loud noise. Police are seeking a man seen biking in the vicinity.
My guess is I can see a claim coming that they are going to say they thought they were being ambushed.
Officials: Australian woman shot after cops heard loud sound
Just indict the guy.......if he doesnt want to talk to his boss or investigators he can tell it to the jury....or not as he pleases.....doubt it will end well for him if thats his choice.

his partner talked to the investigators

he does have a right to remain silent

Forum List

Back