Some liberals STILL think govt can have some say in who can own a gun

Then just say I like my gun and it limits my freedom to take it away. I've done nothing wrong with it and preventative law is no law at all. The argument that we should all be able to hold the government to account with our firearms is a laughable anachranism.

What is that babble supposed to mean?

Guns in private hands are indeed a very effective constraint on government. You don't ever see people lined up for mass slaughter in countries where gun ownership is allowed. You don't see oppressive tyrannies.

You don't get school shootings in the UK and Australia now that guns have been banned in those countries. They aren't tyrannies. It may be effective but at what cost? How many dead children is it worth for the outside chance of a tyranny being averted?

That isn't the question under discussion.
yes it is . the whole theme of this thread is gun control , you're just to chicken shit or ignorant to admit it.

The subthread started by Manchester was whether "the argument that we should all be able to hold the government to account with our firearms is a laughable anachranism." He brought the issue up, and then he tried to change the subject.
false and a dodge.

I keep guns and Muslims around my house.

For protection.

:badgrin:

Oh. And a big dog.

You don't get school shootings in the UK and Australia now that guns have been banned in those countries. They aren't tyrannies. It may be effective but at what cost? How many dead children is it worth for the outside chance of a tyranny being averted?
You may want to live life scared, but I'll take my chances with the Second Amendment. Now go hide
seems to me your dependence on the second amendment is smoking gun proof ( pun intended ) that you're scared shitless.

All sorts of crazy things "seem" to you. I know that statistically if I have a gun the house and it injures someone then it's roughly 80% also someone who lives in that house. Which "seems" to me to be a great reason not to have one. But of your irrational fear means you'd take that risk then go for it.

Irrational fear?

1024px-Mountcarmelfire04-19-93-n.jpg

The Mount Carmel Holocaust 1993
bitch please! the branch Davidians brought that on themselves
it does showcase the point that armed citizens do stupid things
A "church" armed like ISIS...

I'm afraid so. It says "the right of the people." In all other amendments in the Bill of Rights, that means every individual.
your point?
I just said in that post the 2nd amendment never explicitly mentions that individuals have the right bear (own) personal arms but neither does it explicitly state they cannot .....do you understand what the word ambiguous means ?

"The people" means every individual, so you're just plain wrong. It's not the slightest big ambiguous.

Please try to keep up.
the people is only part of the statement and not the message.
keep up? I've lapped you many many times before you could even get started

keep up?

You've got it backwards.

The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms IS the statement.

Because not ALL people qualified to join the militia.
false! the message is that there was a need to have a militia .

"The message?" What the hell does that mean? The issue is what does the Amendment prohibit, and that's perfectly crystal clear.

that's pauses .
no where does it state that individuals have the right to bear personal arms , then again it does not prohibit them either and there's the rub.

I'm afraid so. It says "the right of the people." In all other amendments in the Bill of Rights, that means every individual.
your point?
I just said in that post the 2nd amendment never explicitly mentions that individuals have the right bear (own) personal arms but neither does it explicitly state they cannot .....do you understand what the word ambiguous means ?

"The people" means every individual, so you're just plain wrong. It's not the slightest big ambiguous.

Please try to keep up.

"The people" is the part that determines who it applies to. It does not say "the right of the militia" shall not be infringed.
false .. it was a restatement of the obvious

There are two idiotic extremes. One extreme wants to take away all our guns. The other extreme, such as we saw in the OP, says no one can be stopped from owning a gun.

Both are wrong. And stupid.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about and commie foreigners should just butt out of discussions about the American Constitution. You don't even know what a Constitution is.

A fan of political satire might point you US foreign policy over the last century and find a rich vein of irony in your opinion.
What does U.S. foreign policy have to do with your understanding of the Constitution?

You've got it backwards.

Then why didn't it give the right to keep and bear arms to the militia, instead of the people?
a militia is kinda of useless with out people , don't ya think?

Now that's hilarious.

Women couldn't belong to a militia.

Boys under 16 couldn't belong to a militia

Men over 45, in some areas 57, couldn't belong to a militia.

Should they have been denied the right to own arms?

the Second gave the right to the PEOPLE, not just the militia
Commonsense is a bitch to the progressive
Common sense, defined as "sound judgment derived from experience rather than study," is one of the most revered qualities in America. It evokes images of early and simpler times in which industrious men and women built our country into what it is today. People with common sense are seen as reasonable, down to earth, reliable, and practical.

But here's the catch. Common sense is neither common nor sense. There's not a whole of sound judgment going on these days (though whether it is worse than in the past, I can't be sure), so it's not common. If common sense was common, then most people wouldn't make the kinds of decisions they do every day. People wouldn't buy stuff they can't afford. They wouldn't smoke cigarettes or eat junk food. They wouldn't gamble. And if you want to get really specific and timely, politicians wouldn't be tweeting pictures of their private parts to strangers. In other words, people wouldn't do the multitude of things that are clearly not good for them.
Common Sense Is Neither Common nor Sense

your point?

Please try to keep up.

"The people" is the part that determines who it applies to. It does not say "the right of the militia" shall not be infringed.
false .. it was a restatement of the obvious
Yes, it's obvious that the 2nd Amendment is intended to protect the right of individuals to own guns.

Guns can't load themselves dumbass
No, but they can fire themselves, and do. And bees are still far safer.
That seems to be a personal problem, not my concern...
Lol
Neither are 30,000 gun deaths a year here...
Most of those are from gangbangers on each other... There are bigger fish to fry. Gun control makes no sense it only hurts the law-abiding people
Law-abiding people describes more than 2/3rds of who die each year with a gun in their hands. That fish is plenty big enough.
your solution is like putting a Band-Aid on a broken arm looks like you're doing something, but even even a fourth-grader can tell that you're doing nothing for anybody

keep up?

You've got it backwards.

Then why didn't it give the right to keep and bear arms to the militia, instead of the people?
Military is useless without people, huh
Our military overwhelmingly backs the second amendment
non sequitur.

Lol
Most of those are from gangbangers on each other... There are bigger fish to fry. Gun control makes no sense it only hurts the law-abiding people
Law-abiding people describes more than 2/3rds of who die each year with a gun in their hands. That fish is plenty big enough.
your solution is like putting a Band-Aid on a broken arm looks like you're doing something, but even even a fourth-grader can tell that you're doing nothing for anybody
When guns go away, gun deaths also go down. Common sense.

No nail guns, few nail gun accidents, murders, or suicides by nail gun...

Now that's hilarious.

Women couldn't belong to a militia.

Boys under 16 couldn't belong to a militia

Men over 45, in some areas 57, couldn't belong to a militia.

Should they have been denied the right to own arms?

the Second gave the right to the PEOPLE, not just the militia
Commonsense is a bitch to the progressive
Common sense, defined as "sound judgment derived from experience rather than study," is one of the most revered qualities in America. It evokes images of early and simpler times in which industrious men and women built our country into what it is today. People with common sense are seen as reasonable, down to earth, reliable, and practical.

But here's the catch. Common sense is neither common nor sense. There's not a whole of sound judgment going on these days (though whether it is worse than in the past, I can't be sure), so it's not common. If common sense was common, then most people wouldn't make the kinds of decisions they do every day. People wouldn't buy stuff they can't afford. They wouldn't smoke cigarettes or eat junk food. They wouldn't gamble. And if you want to get really specific and timely, politicians wouldn't be tweeting pictures of their private parts to strangers. In other words, people wouldn't do the multitude of things that are clearly not good for them.
Common Sense Is Neither Common nor Sense
Thus, the federal government is all those things that make no sense, what do you call that??
Robin Hood makes no sense at all

You may want to live life scared, but I'll take my chances with the Second Amendment. Now go hide
seems to me your dependence on the second amendment is smoking gun proof ( pun intended ) that you're scared shitless.

All sorts of crazy things "seem" to you. I know that statistically if I have a gun the house and it injures someone then it's roughly 80% also someone who lives in that house. Which "seems" to me to be a great reason not to have one. But of your irrational fear means you'd take that risk then go for it.

Irrational fear?

1024px-Mountcarmelfire04-19-93-n.jpg

The Mount Carmel Holocaust 1993
bitch please! the branch Davidians brought that on themselves
it does showcase the point that armed citizens do stupid things

Horseshit. How did they do that, by minding their own business? What did the women and children do to deserve being incinerated?

Anyone who defends the Waco holocaust is a scumbag.

your point?

Please try to keep up.

keep up?

You've got it backwards.

"The message?" What the hell does that mean? The issue is what does the Amendment prohibit, and that's perfectly crystal clear.
wrong again .
more proof you can't read.

You've got it backwards.

Military is useless without people, huh
Our military overwhelmingly backs the second amendment
non sequitur.
It's the truth, most of my customers are military folk by a long-shot

Guns can't load themselves dumbass
Lol
Those "2/3rds" committed suicide. They weren't murdered or killed accidentally.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about and commie foreigners should just butt out of discussions about the American Constitution. You don't even know what a Constitution is.

A fan of political satire might point you US foreign policy over the last century and find a rich vein of irony in your opinion.
What does U.S. foreign policy have to do with your understanding of the Constitution?
deflection

Forum List

Back