Some one please tell me how did they get the holy spirit in the OT ?

You do not actually "Get the Holy Spirit"..........the Holy Spirit is the 3rd person of the Godhead. One can "receive the gift of the Holy Spirit of God" without being saved. One can receive "the gift of the Holy Spirit" when one is Baptized in the Holy Spirit, but Baptism in the Spirit is not a requirement of salvation. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is referred to 2 times in Scripture. Peter said it was the same as the Baptism they (The Apostles of Christ) received on the Day of Pentecost after the Christ ascended into heaven after His death (Acts 10:44-46)

In more detail. (Acts 2:38-39) When a person repents and is baptized (water baptism); two things are promised, forgiveness of sin and receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for ALL CHRISTIANS. Neither promise is limited by time (the promises are eternal). How does one prove that its Water Baptism that is required as a requirement of God's plan for salvation and not baptism of the Holy Spirit? Baptism of the Holy Spirit (in Greek Baptism means submerged) only occurred 2 times in the entire Bible Acts 2 and Acts 10. The Holy Spirit fell upon Jewish Apostles of Christ on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 just as Jesus promised they (the Apostles of Christ) would receive power from God after His death as a sign they were speaking and teaching truth from Heaven........the other Baptism of the Holy Spirit occurred in (Acts 10) at the house of a Gentile to prove that gentiles could also be saved though the teachings of Christ Jesus (this happened 10 years after the Day of Pentecost recorded in Acts 2)

Read what Peter declared about The Baptism of the Holy Spirit and its purpose. (Acts 10:44-48), "........While Peter yet spake these word, THE HOLY SPIRIT FELL ON ALL THEM WHICH HEARD THE WORD. And they of the circumcision (Jews) which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because on the gentiles also WAS POURED OUT THE "GIFT" OF THE HOLY SPIRIT............can any man forbid water (water baptism), that these shall not be baptized, which have received THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AS WELL AS WE (the Jews)?"

There are 9 gifts of the Spirit. Every Christian did not receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, but Every Christian was required to be baptized in water. Find one example of someone being accepted into the Christ's church/kingdom without being baptized in water. Of the 9 gifts of the Spirit there are 3 that remain today..........faith, hope, and charity. Every Christian is promised to receive a gift from the Spirit of God. One such Gift is FAITH........"faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God". All the scriptures (word of God) are inspired of God......thus, Faith is constructed by the Holy Spirit of God via the Word of God, i.e., the Bible in the Hope of Salvation........as evidence of these promised gifts of the Spirit one LOVES his fellow man as He loves himself. Faith, Hope and Charity(Love) are the remaining gifts of the Spirit.

Read the scriptures and submerge yourself therein, that is how The Holy Spirit of God, is found WITHIN YOU. As a promised GIFT.
Thank you for your posts some things to question..

Again Paul confuses he says in Ephesians 4:4 only one spirit..(and I thought Paul says in 1st Corinthians chapter 14 God is not the God of confusion?)

You say there is 9? Yea I thought there was many like when Moses put his hands on Joshua and gave him the spirit of truth

Also Paul says you must be saved to receive the holy spirit

Ephesians 1:13 ESV​

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit

Some other questions:

How do you know you have the holy spirit?

I think Peter says you must test the spirit and if it says Christ is Lord then it is. But what if you had some other spirit like elisha got a double portion of Elijah spirit?

Thank you so much, so again how did they get the holy spirit? Someone told me it was just tempoary in the old Testament time which I always thought was a B.S. excuse.

From your link

51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me

And you run to the Alter and Jibber Jabber.
Not me I don't have the gift of tongue, evangelist get fricking mad at me when I tell them in the last chapter of Mark (where they get that from)

It says when your saved your saved you can:

speak in tongue

You can handle snakes

Drink poison

Blah blah blah..

That those verses is not in many of the old Greek manuscripts ...

My gift of the holy spirit I can't prove to anyone, it's something I just can feel (it's like chills/ a wind going through my body when I call on yashua name)

I am glad your here tonight...

To me that's what it says???

If you follow every single law and command you will receive eternal life but if you break one little thing your doomed to hell per the curse
Not at all.
You have been trained to see the verses in a certain way.
There is nothing of the sort in The Admonition.

Not at all.
You have been trained to see the verses in a certain way.
There is nothing of the sort in The Admonition.
Thanks for the hint... I always wanted to go to a Jewish sermon ? But never thought I would be welcomed..

The Tocheichah or Tochacha, meaning admonition or reproof, is the section in chapter 26 of Leviticus which highlights the consequence of a failure by the people of Israel to follow God's laws and keep his commandments.[1] It forms part of the parashah Bechukotai, the final portion of Leviticus. It is distinguished from the preceding section,[2] which relates to God's blessings which will be bestowed if the people of Israel do walk in God's ways and keep his commandments.
Deuteronomy 28:15–68 has a similar series of curses proclaimed by Moses as the consequence of a failure by his people to follow God's laws and keep his commandments.
Because of the distressing nature of the admonitions - terror, disease, warfare, famine and desolation - this section is traditionally read in a low voice in synagogue readings (but loud enough to be audible to the congregation) [3] The Kitzur Shulchan Aruch of Rabbi Shlomo Ganzfried prescribed that the Tocheichah must always be read without a break, and that three verses before the admonitions and three verses after the admonitions, read in a normal, fully audible voice, must always be included in the reading.[4] Thus the admonitions would always be accompanied by the message that God would remember his covenant with Abraham, Isaac

This is another question I can't figure out, stupid Paul says you need the holy sport in you to say the word out loud "lord" and the only way you can get the holy spirit in you is to be born again (Romans 10:9, 10:10)

So how does that work?

And how did they get the holy spirit in the OT if Jesus wasn't born and died yet to release his spirit? Read the book of acts.

Yea I know Genesis one says the spirit of God was hovering over the surface...

Moses placed his hands on Joshua and gave him the spirit (where did Moses get the spirit from? )

Luke 2:35 says some guy named simeon held Jesus up as a baby and he had the holy spirit in him. Mary and Elizabeth got the spirit with Jesus and John the Baptist in their womb..

Why would you call Paul stupid? Jesus commissioned him. He went through hell standing up for Jesus and truth.
They prayed. Israelites had the true God- a single being God-YHWH(Jehovah)-- only ones serving the true God get Holy spirit.

Thanks for the hint... I always wanted to go to a Jewish sermon ? But never thought I would be welcomed..

The Tocheichah or Tochacha, meaning admonition or reproof, is the section in chapter 26 of Leviticus which highlights the consequence of a failure by the people of Israel to follow God's laws and keep his commandments.[1] It forms part of the parashah Bechukotai, the final portion of Leviticus. It is distinguished from the preceding section,[2] which relates to God's blessings which will be bestowed if the people of Israel do walk in God's ways and keep his commandments.
Deuteronomy 28:15–68 has a similar series of curses proclaimed by Moses as the consequence of a failure by his people to follow God's laws and keep his commandments.
Because of the distressing nature of the admonitions - terror, disease, warfare, famine and desolation - this section is traditionally read in a low voice in synagogue readings (but loud enough to be audible to the congregation) [3] The Kitzur Shulchan Aruch of Rabbi Shlomo Ganzfried prescribed that the Tocheichah must always be read without a break, and that three verses before the admonitions and three verses after the admonitions, read in a normal, fully audible voice, must always be included in the reading.[4] Thus the admonitions would always be accompanied by the message that God would remember his covenant with Abraham, Isaac

The Israelite religion is cut off of being Gods chosen-Matthew 23--Jesus tells them off-verse 38--Your house is abandoned to you--verse 39--They must bless the one God sent to them = Jesus, they have outright refused for over 1950 years.

Why would you call Paul stupid? Jesus commissioned him. He went through hell standing up for Jesus and truth.
They prayed. Israelites had the true God- a single being God-YHWH(Jehovah)-- only ones serving the true God get Holy spirit.
So all you have to do is pray to get the holy spirit?

The Israelite religion is cut off of being Gods chosen-Matthew 23--Jesus tells them off-verse 38--Your house is abandoned to you--verse 39--They must bless the one God sent to them = Jesus, they have outright refused for over 1950 years.
Thanks I have overlooked 38 and 39 reading the NLT version right now it says Jesus said you will never see me again until you say " blessings on the one who comes in the name of the lord"

The last verse is the key.
God promised Avraham, Yitzchak and Yaakov that the children of Yisroel would eventually be brought back to Israel and have a leader worthy of being anointed as a King.

This is another question I can't figure out, stupid Paul says you need the holy sport in you to say the word out loud "lord" and the only way you can get the holy spirit in you is to be born again (Romans 10:9, 10:10)

So how does that work?

And how did they get the holy spirit in the OT if Jesus wasn't born and died yet to release his spirit? Read the book of acts.

Yea I know Genesis one says the spirit of God was hovering over the surface...

Moses placed his hands on Joshua and gave him the spirit (where did Moses get the spirit from? )

Luke 2:35 says some guy named simeon held Jesus up as a baby and he had the holy spirit in him. Mary and Elizabeth got the spirit with Jesus and John the Baptist in their womb..

"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

"When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father—He will testify about Me." John 15:26

But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

When He comes, He will reprove the world by showing where right and wrong and judgment lie: he will convict them of wrong, by their refusal to believe in Me; he will prove that right is on my side by showing that I go to the Father when I pass from your sight; He will convince them of divine judgment, by showing that the prince of this world stands condemned.

I still have much to tell you, but the burden would be too great for you now. However, when he comes who is the Spirit of truth, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own authority, but will only tell you what He hears, and He will declare the things that are coming. Everything he makes known to you he will draw from what is mine. Everything that belongs to the Father is Mine. That's why I said, "Everything that he makes known to you he will draw from what is mine"

Last edited:
"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

"When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father—He will testify about Me." John 15:26

But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

When He comes, He will convict the world by showing where right and wrong and judgment lie: in regard to sin, because they do not believe in Me; in regard to righteousness, by showing that I go to the Father when you no longer see Me; and in regard to judgment, by showing that the prince of this world stands condemned.

I still have much to tell you, but the burden would be too great for you now. However, when he comes who is the Spirit of truth, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own authority, but will only tell you what He hears, and He will declare to you what is to come. He will glorify Me by drawing from what is Mine and disclosing it to you. Everything that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said, "He will draw from what is Mine and disclose it to you."
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

Exactly Jesus died and sent the holy spirit so my question remains the same how did they get the holy spirit in the old Testament?

another thing why do Christians fast if they have the holy spirit in them?

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

Exactly Jesus died and sent the holy spirit so my question remains the same how did they get the holy spirit in the old Testament?
Because the NT makes God look like a POS.

If you have intelligence and read the story of pentecost you will see that "tongues of fire appeared' that 'settled over their heads"....like whoosh.

That was not what Jesus was talking about. He was talking about a God sending another person.

That being said when the OT mentions the holy spirit it is just about whatever person being inspired by the holy spirit of God.

Not really the same thing that Jesus was predicting but not really different either. Apparently According to Jesus the Holy Spirit will become flesh.

When he comes he will do this, he will do that, etc.

Because the NT makes God look like a POS.
Have you ever talked to a bible thumping Christian? They are fricking insane.

I think John had dementia in his old age living on that Island so many contridictions he said like 4 times no one has seen god, what was Mary blind and didn't see her own baby? Was Moses blind? Then John says people have seen God

If you have intelligence and read the story of pentecost you will see that "tongues of fire appeared' that 'settled over their heads"....like whoosh.

That was not what Jesus was talking about. He was talking about a God sending another person.

That being said when the OT mentions the holy spirit it is just about whatever person being inspired by the holy spirit of God.

Not really the same thing that Jesus was predicting but not really different either. Apparently According to Jesus the Holy Spirit will become flesh.

When he comes he will do this, he will do that, etc.
Say wtf, Show me the Bible verse the holy spirit will become flesh?

Have you ever talked to a bible thumping Christian? They are fricking insane.

I think John had dementia in his old age living on that Island so many contridictions he said like 4 times no one has seen god, what was Mary blind and didn't see her own baby? Was Moses blind? Then John says people have seen God
Sad but true.
A new religion had to be created that put little to no onus on people.
For 1,000 years the Holy Roman Catholic Church enforced no education so no one would know how the NT was pretty much a copy of Mad Magazine.

Forum List

Back