Someone please explain the logic of what God is doing because I don't get it

Thanks for admitting you never read the OT.
If you read the actual chapters, you would see that God only punishes people who destroy society and teach their kids to do the same.

Actually, what I see is a petty diety who slaughters people on a whim.

Such as stoning a man for picking up sticks on the Sabbath.

Or forcing Jephthah to sacrifice his daughter because he made a foolish vow.

Or killing the baby of David and Bathsheba to prove that adultery is wrong.

Or killing 70,000 Israelites because David did a census God told him to do. Or maybe it was Satan. Kind of hard to tell, because the bible gives two different accounts.

Frankly the God of the Old Testament is about one step above a Batman villain.
For a guy with a Cracker Jacks degree in history you sure do reference a lot of stuff incorrectly or out of context.
But...you are a Liberal.

Probably anti Jew too.

The bias was palpable.
JoeB thinks dark skinned people are too weak minded so they need his help; J thinks this makes him non-racist.
He hates religion, especially Judaism because we haven’t murdered as many people as other religions.
JoeB is an idiot.
He hates religion, especially Judaism because we haven’t murdered as many people as other religions.

Thanks for admitting you never read these passages yourself.
by not reading your book, if you might - what specifically makes your religion different than the simple spoken religion of antiquity, namely the triumph of good vs evil.

is there a difference between who murders and who causes murder.
I believe you mean what is the difference between killing and murdering.
Jews have no inclination to convert anyone so we don't commit murder because you won't give us your tithe.

Someone please explain the logic of what God is doing because I don't get it
I need someone to explain how God's plan includes all the horrible things that happen every day.

You operate from a false assumption.

God created the game. He put people on the board to play it and gave them free will to choose how they play.

Free will to follow God's plan or to go their own way rejecting him.

Many choose the later.

The horrors and atrocities you see are not God's doing, not his apathy. Not his vengeance nor cruelty.

They are the result of men exercising their free will apart from God trying to have dominion over the Earth and mankind out of personal greed, lust and ignorance as if they were self-determinant beings.

Actually, I have. They don't get any less stupid than the summaries.

Pitch you an easy one. Judges 11. Story of Jephthah the Gileadite. Go ahead and spin that one where God looks like anything other than an asshole.

We'll wait.

For a guy with a Cracker Jacks degree in history you sure do reference a lot of stuff incorrectly or out of context.
But...you are a Liberal.

There's not a context in those stories where God looks good. It's why they are never repeated in most churches. Heck, I didn't find out about our boy Jephthah until I read about him on an Atheist website. Then I went to my copy of the Bible (the same one I've had since I was a kid) and HOLY SHIT, this guy butchered his daughter because he made a promise to God he didn't bother to think through.

12 years of Catholic Schools, the nuns didn't bring up any of this.

Probably anti Jew too.

The bias was palpable.

My, I view Jews the same way I view anyone else who thinks there's a magic fairy in the sky... like idiots.

JoeB thinks dark skinned people are too weak minded so they need his help; J thinks this makes him non-racist.
JoeB is an idiot.

Uh, guy, racism is real. That's why people of color need help.

And I help anyone who bothers to ask me.

I have done both and TNT gives me a headache...sometimes from laughing at the plethora of misquotes.
Some versions are better than others. Translating to English from Greek or Latin which in turn was translated from Hebrew leaves plenty to be desired. Then with some convinced they can understand scripture on their own (or via prayer) muddies things further.

Actually, I have. They don't get any less stupid than the summaries.

Pitch you an easy one. Judges 11. Story of Jephthah the Gileadite. Go ahead and spin that one where God looks like anything other than an asshole.

We'll wait.

But...you are a Liberal.

There's not a context in those stories where God looks good. It's why they are never repeated in most churches. Heck, I didn't find out about our boy Jephthah until I read about him on an Atheist website. Then I went to my copy of the Bible (the same one I've had since I was a kid) and HOLY SHIT, this guy butchered his daughter because he made a promise to God he didn't bother to think through.

12 years of Catholic Schools, the nuns didn't bring up any of this.
Cool...What's the entire story about?
Answer now, not in an hour.
I bet you don't know.

Probably anti Jew too.

The bias was palpable.

My, I view Jews the same way I view anyone else who thinks there's a magic fairy in the sky... like idiots.

JoeB is an idiot.

C'mon, Joe!
You know the story.
Put down the bong and respond.

I bet you don't know.
:) He doesn't. He claimed Catholic school and Church skipped over this story. I told him it had not--I had heard the story both in religion class and in Church. I explained what it was about, and he would have nothing to do with it, just as he has nothing to do with anything that shines a good light on either God or religion.

I bet you don't know.
:) He doesn't. He claimed Catholic school and Church skipped over this story. I told him it had not--I had heard the story both in religion class and in Church. I explained what it was about, and he would have nothing to do with it, just as he has nothing to do with anything that shines a good light on either God or religion.
He searches for atheist or Bible hating sites, reads a sentence and thinks he knows what he's talking about.
Just about everyone here knows he's full of crap 99+% of the time.

If you read the actual chapters, you would see that God only punishes people who destroy society and teach their kids to do the same.

Or killing 70,000 Israelites because David did a census God told him to do. Or maybe it was Satan. Kind of hard to tell, because the bible gives two different accounts.

But...you are a Liberal.

Probably anti Jew too.

The bias was palpable.
JoeB is an idiot.

by not reading your book, if you might - what specifically makes your religion different than the simple spoken religion of antiquity, namely the triumph of good vs evil.

Jews have no inclination to convert anyone so we don't commit murder because you won't give us your tithe.
the question was what would they be converting too ...

- whatever on your murder story, ignoring the state of israel would be beneficial for your lacking no.s in the crime.

But...you are a Liberal.

Probably anti Jew too.

The bias was palpable.
JoeB is an idiot.

the question was what would they be converting too ...

- whatever on your murder story, ignoring the state of israel would be beneficial for your lacking no.s in the crime.
Can you elaborate on how stopping 5 invading nations is murder?

Probably anti Jew too.

The bias was palpable.

JoeB is an idiot.

People need direction. People need encouragement. They certainly don't need a lifetime of handouts, nor a pat on the head when they make the wrong choices over and over and over.

As for your seemingly "scientific" view of GOD, well it isn't. Create life from dirt in a test tube. Cause some virus to become something other than a virus, some bacteria to become something other than bacteria, and some fruit flies to move beyond being a breed of fruit fly. Unless this can be demonstrated, you have absolutely no proof that without GOD anything living could possibly exist ----- let alone mutate into all the various kinds that presently still exist.

Last edited:
How patronising of you.

Actually, I'm being much too polite.

If you told me that your invisible friend commanded you to be a jackass and engage in anti-social behavior, I would look at you funny.

That you call your invisible friend "God" doesn't make it any better.

I bet you don't know.

Dude, I don't live on here.

Short version. Jephthah was the son of a whore who was asked to lead Israels armies against the Ammonites. He promised God he would sacrifice the first thing he saw when he got home if God gave him victory. he won, killed thousands of Ammonites (who probably weren't bothering anyone at that point) and when he got home, the first living thing he ran into was his daughter. Because he had made a promise to God, he sacrificed her as a burnt offering.

It's kind of fucked up.

He doesn't. He claimed Catholic school and Church skipped over this story. I told him it had not--I had heard the story both in religion class and in Church. I explained what it was about, and he would have nothing to do with it, just as he has nothing to do with anything that shines a good light on either God or religion.

My Catholic school never told the story. In fact, the ONLY story from Judges we got to hear was Samson, and we heard the Disney Version, not the actual text of the bible where Samson shows the values of Osama bin Laden.

There's really no way you can paint the story of Jephthah in a way that makes him or God look good. I know some of you Christians try to claim that he just made his daughter join a religious order (which didn't exist for women in that time period). But nope. He slaughtered and burned her. it's right in the bible.

As for your seemingly "scientific" view of GOD, well it isn't. Create life from dirt in a test tube. Cause some virus to become something other than a virus, some bacteria to become something other than bacteria, and some fruit flies to move beyond being a breed of fruit fly. Unless this can be demonstrated, you have absolutely no proof that without GOD anything living could possibly exist ----- let alone mutate into all the various kinds that presently still exist.

hey, funny thing about science. It's still true even if you don't understand it.

How patronising of you.

Actually, I'm being much too polite.

If you told me that your invisible friend commanded you to be a jackass and engage in anti-social behavior, I would look at you funny.

That you call your invisible friend "God" doesn't make it any better.

I bet you don't know.

Dude, I don't live on here.

Short version. Jephthah was the son of a whore who was asked to lead Israels armies against the Ammonites. He promised God he would sacrifice the first thing he saw when he got home if God gave him victory. he won, killed thousands of Ammonites (who probably weren't bothering anyone at that point) and when he got home, the first living thing he ran into was his daughter. Because he had made a promise to God, he sacrificed her as a burnt offering.

It's kind of fucked up.

He doesn't. He claimed Catholic school and Church skipped over this story. I told him it had not--I had heard the story both in religion class and in Church. I explained what it was about, and he would have nothing to do with it, just as he has nothing to do with anything that shines a good light on either God or religion.

My Catholic school never told the story. In fact, the ONLY story from Judges we got to hear was Samson, and we heard the Disney Version, not the actual text of the bible where Samson shows the values of Osama bin Laden.

There's really no way you can paint the story of Jephthah in a way that makes him or God look good. I know some of you Christians try to claim that he just made his daughter join a religious order (which didn't exist for women in that time period). But nope. He slaughtered and burned her. it's right in the bible.

You’ve never been polite. You’re always grumbling.

I’m not a Christian.

Forum List

Back