Something good Obama has done and he should do more of it

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Obama commutes sentences of 8 inmates with crack cocaine convictions, citing 2010 law - The Washington Post

And encourage state governors to do it too.

There are way too many people who are in jail for petty offenses, some because they were swept up in the net to try to get to serious criminals and then they didn't have the leverage to make themselves a deal because they were only peripherally involved in their acquaintances' criminal lives to begin with.

Like girlfriends of dealers who get lengthy sentences while the dealers get squat.

Fix this!

On the federal level and on the state level.

Having worked with crack addicts, I can tell you that prison isn't the answer. But then neither is jut letting them go with no requirement of getting treatment.

It might not be the answer for them. But locking them up for years and years is not the answer for society.

It might not be the answer for them. But locking them up for years and years is not the answer for society.

I visited a drug rehab hospital in China. I actually liked the way they handle their heroin addicts. The nurses are also police officers and if a patient who is mandated to get treatment tries to check out the nurse can arrest him/her. In the US most states do not allow a person to be civilly committed for drug or alcohol treatment. If they want to check out of treatment, they can check out.

The VA has a protocol which will keep an addict in but, of course, it is convoluted.

yeah, this was a good thing, i believe all served at least 15 years and one got a life sentence. ridiculous. rapists, molesters get less sentences.

yeah, this was a good thing, i believe all served at least 15 years and one got a life sentence. ridiculous. rapists, molesters get less sentences.

my late Bro-inlaw spent 15 years of his 37 years in prison .....he said there were psychos in there who would kill someone for 25 bucks,who were in for violent crimes,and were getting out after 4-5 years for "good behavior".....while there were guys in there serving 30 years for having a pound of pot and are still in....one guy has been there 20 years .....no parole for him....

18.png

Under Bush:

Pardons were granted to 12% of whites, 10% of Hispanics and Asians, and zero percent of Blacks and Native Americans.

An African American woman from Little Rock, fined $3,000 for underreporting her income in 1989, was denied a pardon; a white woman from the same city who faked multiple tax returns to collect more than $25,000 in refunds got one. A black, first-time drug offender — a Vietnam veteran who got probation in South Carolina for possessing 1.1 grams of crack – was turned down. A white, fourth-time drug offender who did prison time for selling 1,050 grams of methamphetamine was pardoned.

Racial Bias in Presidential Pardons » Sociological Images

Sure am glad to know racism is a thing of the past. Just ask USMB Republicans. They'll tell you.

Obama commutes sentences of 8 inmates with crack cocaine convictions, citing 2010 law - The Washington Post

And encourage state governors to do it too.

There are way too many people who are in jail for petty offenses, some because they were swept up in the net to try to get to serious criminals and then they didn't have the leverage to make themselves a deal because they were only peripherally involved in their acquaintances' criminal lives to begin with.

Like girlfriends of dealers who get lengthy sentences while the dealers get squat.

Fix this!

On the federal level and on the state level.

Dunno if you are serious or not.

But you been knocking them outta the park lately.

High time to reform the prison system.

18.png

Under Bush:

Pardons were granted to 12% of whites, 10% of Hispanics and Asians, and zero percent of Blacks and Native Americans.

An African American woman from Little Rock, fined $3,000 for underreporting her income in 1989, was denied a pardon; a white woman from the same city who faked multiple tax returns to collect more than $25,000 in refunds got one. A black, first-time drug offender — a Vietnam veteran who got probation in South Carolina for possessing 1.1 grams of crack – was turned down. A white, fourth-time drug offender who did prison time for selling 1,050 grams of methamphetamine was pardoned.

Sure am glad to know racism is a thing of the past. Just ask USMB Republicans. They'll tell you.

once again Dean thanks for proving me right.....you cant carry on a conversation without bringing Republicans into it.....not one person mentioned either party....until you got here.....get fucking help....geezus.....

18.png

Under Bush:

once again Dean thanks for proving me right.....you cant carry on a conversation without bringing Republicans into it.....not one person mentioned either party....until you got here.....get fucking help....geezus.....

Add in..Bush was no racist. :eusa_shhh:

Here is an idea.

Repeal the laws and no one will have to be pardoned.

I visited a drug rehab hospital in China. I actually liked the way they handle their heroin addicts. The nurses are also police officers and if a patient who is mandated to get treatment tries to check out the nurse can arrest him/her. In the US most states do not allow a person to be civilly committed for drug or alcohol treatment. If they want to check out of treatment, they can check out.

The VA has a protocol which will keep an addict in but, of course, it is convoluted.

This isn't true at all.

Many, many states in the country have court-ordered rehabs or in some cases "therapeutic communities", and checking yourself out of one of those AMA will send you straight to jail. This has been going on since the 1960s.

I know quite a number of TC "graduates".

You have got to be kidding me. In a rare moment of non-partisan unity, pretty much everyone in this thread has agreed with something that our President has done. Furthermore, most seem to agree with the general direction our country should take to address a certain problem in our country. Enter you, with divisive and race baiting bullshit, babbling and whining about the Bush administration.

I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
18.png

Under Bush:

Add in..Bush was no racist. :eusa_shhh:

i agree.....but some people dont think so....

Forum List

Back