🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Soooooo why was this shot down?

Can someone please give me an honest answer about what is wrong with this legislation and why it wasn't even allowed to come to a vote?

GOP senators block top Obama jobs initiative - CNN.com

This looks to be a good bill to promote bringing back jobs, private business jobs, to American soil. But the majority of the GOP in the senate blocked it from even being allowed to be voted on. Why?

This screams of partisan politics and again placing priority on blocking anything that the president does as priority #1 even when it comes at the cost of creating American jobs.

So, can someone please explain it to me.

you ask why which indicates you didnt read your own article.

Start with that idiot............

I didn't see a good reason in the article. Did you?

I did. You see McConnel warned democrats they wanted to add some amendments.

Democrats with my way or the highway, didnt get it done again.

It is why I say fuck democrats and compromise. Your side is unwilling, so fuck em.

Dollar to a dog turd Reid loaded it down with a bunch of poison pill amendments, so lolberal bedwetters could mewl about "republican obstructionism".

Double-dealing weasel fuckchops are like that.

As usual you are wrong

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, had warned Democrats before the vote that his party would want to amend the bill -- possibly with hot-button issues like repealing the health care reform law or extending the Bush-era tax cuts for all income levels.

It is repubs that want to kill Obama even if America goes with it. You should be so proud. Only yesterday the repub lamestream media tried to hype Obama and his jobs council. Well the truth is there, REPUBLICAN OBSTRUCTIONISM

Last edited:
you ask why which indicates you didnt read your own article.

Start with that idiot............

I didn't see a good reason in the article. Did you?

I did. You see McConnel warned democrats they wanted to add some amendments.

Democrats with my way or the highway, didnt get it done again.

It is why I say fuck democrats and compromise. Your side is unwilling, so fuck em.
Are you just plain stupid!?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, responded that those amendments were not germane to the bill and he would not allow votes on them.

The US Chamber of republican bought off commerce did not like this bill.

Was there any ammendments attached to it during the process?

As I stated and linked earlier, there were 3 Dem sponsored amendments offered, and 8 GOP sponsored. Reid refused to allow any of them to come to a vote. As such, there is no congressional record, so we'll never know what was in them unless the sponsors publicize them.

Well if there were any attached I would have to know what they were to see if, from a republican standpoint, they were enough to justify voting against it.

And, as I stated, that one section of the bill would give many republicans...especially any put into power during the tea party movement in 2010....cause to vote against it as the people they represent would not support that.

Thanks again for the link to the CORRECT bill by the way.

The Senate is not allowed to originate tax bills. You two can stop your childish foot-stamping now.

I'm sorry Dave, but in this case you are incorrect. Appropriation bills must originate in thew House, and cannot originate in the Senate. A tax bill is not an appropriation bill, so it can indeed originate in the Senate.

Indeed. Thanks!

Can someone please give me an honest answer about what is wrong with this legislation and why it wasn't even allowed to come to a vote?

This looks to be a good bill to promote bringing back jobs, private business jobs, to American soil. But the majority of the GOP in the senate blocked it from even being allowed to be voted on. Why?

This screams of partisan politics and again placing priority on blocking anything that the president does as priority #1 even when it comes at the cost of creating American jobs.

It took me some time to find a good explanation, RDD_1210, but I found the reason the GOP turned its thumbs down on the bill is because it sees mischief in the jobs legislation:

Republican leaders opposed on the measure on the grounds it effectively would impose an unfair tax increase on many companies.Sen. Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, the top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, said that while “on the surface, this proposal may sound reasonable,” it was misleading and would lead to an “extraordinary deviation from current tax policy. There has always been a [tax] deduction allowed for a business’s ordinary and necessary expenses — and expenses associated with moving have always been regarded as deductible business expenses,” Mr. Hatch said Thursday. “As substantive tax policy goes, this proposal is a joke.”

The bill died on a mostly partisan 56-42 vote, falling four short of the 60 votes needed to overcome a Republican filibuster. Four Republicans supported the measure: Scott P. Brown of Massachusetts, Dean Heller of Nevada, and Susan M. Collins and Olympia J. Snowe of Maine. No Democrats opposed it. The bill was one of several “jobs bills” and tax measures Senate Democrats have floated this month, including a measure to extend expiring Bush-era tax cuts only for households making less than $250,000 a year.

While few if any of their proposals have a realistic chance of becoming law in the current political climate, Democrats are using Republican opposition to portray the party as beholden to big business and corporate money ahead of the November elections.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/19/gop-sees-mischief-in-jobs-legislation/?page=all

Harry Reid intentionally allowed unfavorable-to-Americans tripe in the bill to set the vote for now in order to accomplish his attack mission.

Of course the Republicans said no, straight down the line, after that.

Sorry, Reid intentionally put the Republicans in the path of the Bill not so the bill would pass, but so that the bill would fail and all blame placed on the Republicans, who have a very winning case for election 2012.

A republican win would be favorable for the nation in order to ensure the Constitution remains intact and is not whittled away through presidential mandate, Mitch Romney would be instating his own superb jobs initiative programs to get people up and fit again, and the Senate and House can redo Obama scare.

America needs a return to sound fiscal policies, and not a printing press.

Last edited:
The Senate is not allowed to originate tax bills. You two can stop your childish foot-stamping now.

I'm sorry Dave, but in this case you are incorrect. Appropriation bills must originate in thew House, and cannot originate in the Senate. A tax bill is not an appropriation bill, so it can indeed originate in the Senate.

Bills may originate in either the House of Representatives or the Senate with one notable exception. Article I, Section 7, of the Constitution provides that all bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives but that the Senate may propose, or concur with, amendments.

How Our Laws are Made - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

because the GOP hates america. If it was passed, the unemployment rate would drop, causing Obama's approval ratings to soar.

The GOP has been deliberately trying to destroy america at all costs to make Obama look bad.

yeah just like with the stimulus.....oh wait!

Obama is an ineffective consensus builder and negotiator.

Nothing to do with the question, try again.

It has everything to do with it. A real President would call the opposition leaders to his office and work out a compromise. Obama is much too busy playing golf and campaigning to do his job. Reagan and even a scumbag like Clinton did that and the economy boomed.

It is the very essence of leadership, and nobody bothered to tell that to Obama.

I agree, it does scream of partisan politics:

"Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, had warned Democrats before the vote that his party would want to amend the bill -- possibly with hot-button issues like repealing the health care reform law or extending the Bush-era tax cuts for all income levels.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, responded that those amendments were not germane to the bill and he would not allow votes on them."

Bottom line, the bill wasn't presented with amendments.

so...the only way to get ANYTHING DONE. in Congress right now is to bow down to the crazed right wing and repeal the AHCA? It's over with. It passed, was signed into law, went through the challenges all the way up to the SUPREME FUCKING COURT and was ruled Constitutional.....even with a GOP majority sitting on the bench. Time to give it the fuck up now and concentrate on getting people to work at jobs that pay wages you can raise a family on without having to rely on Uncle Sam for food stamps to feed your kids.

I swear to God....you guys are trying to create a self fulfilling prophecy. You blather on about Marxism and Communism, but it's your own policies that are leaving so many people disaffected and angry. This is the environment where Marxism and ideas of revolution take hold and thrive. Maybe It's YOU guys that are the closet Commies. You seem to be doing everything you can to make it happen.

Republicans hate Obama's American Jobs Act - because they hate Obama.

Could it be the fact that everything Obama has done has resulted in failure? Why keep on following a failed leader who still doesn't have a track record of success in anything other then getting diplomas and getting elected? Time to change what we are doing and elect someone who has been successful.

Using my Tax money to bribe companies to create jobs... That about sums it up imo. I cannot imagine why the Republicans would block this. lol. When is this mad spending spree of our Tax dollars EVER going to end, or at least become fiscally responsible? Nice work by the Liberal media in claiming Republicans were blocking jobs, when essentially they were trying to reign in more reckless spending disguised as being a "creator of jobs". Buying jobs with OUR Tax money does not exactly sound like a very good idea to me.

Yeah. I'm not sure if this is the real reason behind Republican opposition (and I'm not sure most of them get why it's wrong), but this is the best reason to vote against it, and I'm glad they did. We need to put a stop to this kind of corporatism.

Obama sinks to historic lows among blue-collar men

The new Quinnipiac University and ABC/Washington Post national surveys out this week converge on one key conclusion: as the election nears, President Obama is sinking to historic lows among the group most consistently hostile to him.

Throughout his career on the national stage, Obama has struggled among white men without a college education. But in these latest surveys, he has fallen to a level of support among them lower than any Democratic nominee has attracted in any election since 1980, according to an upcoming National Journal analysis of exit polls from presidential elections.

Obama Sinks to Historic Lows Among Blue-Collar Men - 2012 Decoded

The new Quinnipiac University and ABC/Washington Post national surveys out this week converge on one key conclusion: as the election nears, President Obama is sinking to historic lows among the group most consistently hostile to him.

Throughout his career on the national stage, Obama has struggled among white men without a college education. But in these latest surveys, he has fallen to a level of support among them lower than any Democratic nominee has attracted in any election since 1980, according to an upcoming National Journal analysis of exit polls from presidential elections.

he has fallen to a level of support among them lower than any Democratic nominee has attracted in any election since 1980,

That's only because he most resembles the Democratic nominee in 1980.

How would Republicans in the Senate "block" anything, RDD...when they don't have control of the Senate? Harry Reid controls what is brought to the floor for votes...which is why he currently has 30 bills sent over to the Senate by the GOP controlled House gathering dust on his desk.

Ok, someone tell me, what is a jobs bill? The government just passes a law and jobs are magically created? What are the details in this bill? We buying off unions? Shipping jobs overseas like the stimulus did? Anyone have a link to this magical bill?

Don't stray into facts and actually examine all of what was in the bills. Our libtard friends only comprehend simplicity:

Dear Leader was gonna create millions of jobs with his magic pen, but Republicans hate him so much they didn't allow him to do it.

Well, American blue-collar men don't like it when a POTUS gives away America's possessions (Alaskan islands and waters, without consulting the sovereign state of Alaska, too.); when a POTUS brings a Jobs Czar to power over American jobs while his company is exporting tens of thousands of jobs overseas, not to mention America's hard-earned technologies with it which will stay there even if we bring American jobs back home; when a POTUS loads his kitchen cabinet with former card-carrying communists who have histories of being anti-american and tax-dodgers; when a POTUS has exactly zero meetings with House leaders they elected that aren't dictatorial in nature rather than in the spirit of sharing recommendations about passing a budget, and targets House dissenters as his "enemies;" when a POTUS cancels American drilling and 20,000 high-paying blue collar jobs along with it in coastal waters and 2 communist countries swoop in to take up the slack, giving the jobs to communist workers; when a POTUS gets a bill passed that will raise National Taxes by 8.5% but lies about it and says it is not a tax; when a POTUS calls their conservative representatives "enemies".

Our American men don't forget political nightmare scenario-realities, and they're less likely to be fooled by "feel good" lies that polish the apple which might likely be rather rotten inside. Just sayin'.... :eusa_whistle:

it's never been a group he's done well with, and it won't make any difference in November.

Here's the wall you got to get over.

69 Million people voted for Obama in 2008. I haven't talked to one of them who has told me, "I made a mistake, I'm voting for Romney this time." Not one.

On the other hand, of the 59 million of us who voted for John McCain last time, we have no emotional investment in the Weird Mormon Robot. Quite the reverse. Some of us supported McCain becase we just hated Romney back in 2008.

it's never been a group he's done well with, and it won't make any difference in November.

Here's the wall you got to get over.

69 Million people voted for Obama in 2008. I haven't talked to one of them who has told me, "I made a mistake, I'm voting for Romney this time." Not one.

On the other hand, of the 59 million of us who voted for John McCain last time, we have no emotional investment in the Weird Mormon Robot. Quite the reverse. Some of us supported McCain becase we just hated Romney back in 2008.

You should talk to some of the college students who voted for him in 2008.
Massive student loan debt and still no job.

Forum List

Back