Southern Baptist head vows never to perform same-sex unions

(1) God created woman for man.
(2) God said men laying with men was an abomination in his sight
(3) Because people in the Bible (God fearing men like David) had many wives, didn't make it right.

Next...?
Next? You have no idea what God said. Did you hear his or her voice? No.
One word, BIBLE! Read it, it is what God said. Gay is sin period.
Three words, United States Constitution. Read it. It states that what you claim your God says about anything is completely irrelevant. You want to live in a theocracy, move to Iran.
Hey idiot my God is more relevant period. The constitution guarantees my right to say that all I want. Doesn't matter what you satan worshipers say.

I'm thinking Paddy is a pee wee puffer
So, our pubescent poster is back with brilliant argument. You are the prefect example of what is wrong with your type of Christian. You never live up the words you claim to believe in.

Three words, United States Constitution. Read it. It states that what you claim your God says about anything is completely irrelevant. You want to live in a theocracy, move to Iran.
Hey idiot my God is more relevant period. The constitution guarantees my right to say that all I want. Doesn't matter what you satan worshipers say.

So, our pubescent poster is back with brilliant argument. You are the prefect example of what is wrong with your type of Christian. You never live up the words you claim to believe in.

You're a broken record, bub. Now own up, you're a pillow biter ain't ya?

He knows he can't be made to, but many of those he speaks to don't know.
Also, the highlighted quote is bullshit. When did God call for marriage between one man and one woman? The Bible is full of men with hundreds or thousands of wives and whores, not to mention incest,

(3) Because people in the Bible (God fearing men like David) had many wives, didn't make it right.

Next...?
Hey idiot my God is more relevant period. The constitution guarantees my right to say that all I want. Doesn't matter what you Satan worshipers say.
Your god is not relevant at all. No god is. You can say whatever you want. I never said anything different. So, anyone who disagrees with your existence that our laws be based on your version of Christianity is a saran worshiper? Must be a nation of Satan worshipers then

I'm the broken record? Your only responses as of late is to accuse anyone who point out your idiocy must be gay.

I'm the broken record? Your only responses as of late is to accuse anyone who point out your idiocy must be gay.

Well, other than proving you don't have the foggiest idea what the Bible says LOL

I mean, I have more passages if you want them. The whole "God doesn't call for marriage between a man and a woman" argument falls flat in the face of a Christian who knows his Bible inside and out.
And the bible is relevant to a discussion of the law related to marriage how?

As far as the Christian religion is concerned, the Bible is the bottom line.
As far as your version of the Christian Religion is your version's interpretation of the bible it the bottom line for you. As far as the law is concerned, the Bible is not part of the equation.

As far as being A Christian goes, I don't give a damn what the law says.

So if you see a witch- you are just going to put him or her to death because thats what the Bible says?

And adulterers too?

It is the duty of every Christian to obey the laws of the land as long as they do not conflict with the law of God. Romans 13:1-7.

I'm the broken record? Your only rsc

You have figured out Sassy Girl.

Don't expect anything more.

She has the depth and originality of a

Well, other than proving you don't have the foggiest idea what the Bible says LOL
I actually provided a lengthy rebuttal of your claim as to what it says. Your limited intellect would not allow you to read it and attempt to rebut it.

They're desperate to keep membership, which has been falling fast.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The president of the nation's largest Protestant denomination on Tuesday vowed never to officiate at a same-sex union, and the Southern Baptist Convention called on the U.S. Supreme Court not to declare a constitutional right to same-sex marriage.

Pastor Ronnie Floyd was speaking to delegates at the convention's annual meeting in Columbus, Ohio. But he said his message was also for the U.S. Supreme Court — which is expected to rule within days on same-sex marriage — and for all of America.

Floyd said he has compassion for people whom he described as struggling with same-sex attraction, but he said it would be wrong to remain silent on the issue.

"America: We stand believing that marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in a covenant commitment for a lifetime," Floyd said to a standing ovation from the 5,000 people in attendance. "We do not need to redefine what God himself has defined already."

<more>

LOL- and?

he can refuse to marry Jews too........

No church can be forced to marry anyone that they don't want to marry.

Jews cannot get married by Catholic Priests.

And so what.
The fuck you can't force them to marry gays. Countries that are actually in the 21st century like those in Scandinavia don't allow churches to discriminate like this.

Scandinavia considers itself bound by the US Constitution?
Hence what I said about being in the 21st century, Not the 18th. But go on rationalizing discrimination you shitlord.

Then by all means move.

I actually provided a lengthy rebuttal of your claim as to what it says. Your limited intellect would not allow you to read it and attempt to rebut it.

Wrong, dumb ass. You made specific claims and I provided proof you're a clueless asshat

Next...?
Hey idiot my God is more relevant period. The constitution guarantees my right to say that all I want. Doesn't matter what you Satan worshipers say.
Your god is not relevant at all. No god is. You can say whatever you want. I never said anything different. So, anyone who disagrees with your existence that our laws be based on your version of Christianity is a saran worshiper? Must be a nation of Satan worshipers then
Your God also, you just refuse to believe. This nation was founded on Christian principles contrary to you idiot libtards lies.

Your God also, you just refuse to believe. This nation was founded on Christian principles contrary to you idiot libtards lies.

What an uneducated moron

The primary leaders of the so-called founding fathers of our nation were not Bible-believing Christians; they were deists. Deism was a philosophical belief that was widely accepted by the colonial intelligentsia at the time of the American Revolution. Its major tenets included belief in human reason as a reliable means of solving social and political problems and belief in a supreme deity who created the universe to operate solely by natural laws. The supreme God of the Deists removed himself entirely from the universe after creating it. They believed that he assumed no control over it, exerted no influence on natural phenomena, and gave no supernatural revelation to man. A necessary consequence of these beliefs was a rejection of many doctrines central to the Christian religion. Deists did not believe in the virgin birth, divinity, or resurrection of Jesus, the efficacy of prayer, the miracles of the Bible, or even the divine inspiration of the Bible.

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

John Adams

The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.
-- John Adams, "A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" (1787-88),

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!
-- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson,

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 Treaty of Tripoli signed by Founding Father John Adams

Want more thumper ? plenty more were those came from

“It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one, and one is three; and yet the one is not three, and the three are not one: to divide mankind by a single letter into [“consubstantialists and like-substantialists”]. But this constitutes the craft, the power and the profit of the priests. Sweep away their gossamer fabrics of factitious religion, and they would catch no more flies. We should all then, like the quakers, live without an order of priests, moralise for ourselves, follow the oracle of conscience, and say nothing about what no man can understand, nor therefore believe; for I suppose belief to be the assent of the mind to an intelligible proposition.”
Jefferson’s Letter to John Adams, August 22, 1813

“Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.”
James Madison, Ibid, 1785

What an uneducated moron

The primary leaders of the so-called founding fathers of our nation were not Bible-believing Christians; they were deists. Deism was a philosophical belief that was widely accepted by the colonial intelligentsia at the time of the American Revolution. Its major tenets included belief in human reason as a reliable means of solving social and political problems and belief in a supreme deity who created the universe to operate solely by natural laws. The supreme God of the Deists removed himself entirely from the universe after creating it. They believed that he assumed no control over it, exerted no influence on natural phenomena, and gave no supernatural revelation to man. A necessary consequence of these beliefs was a rejection of many doctrines central to the Christian religion. Deists did not believe in the virgin birth, divinity, or resurrection of Jesus, the efficacy of prayer, the miracles of the Bible, or even the divine inspiration of the Bible.

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

John Adams

The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.
-- John Adams, "A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" (1787-88),

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!
-- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson,

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 Treaty of Tripoli signed by Founding Father John Adams

Want more thumper ? plenty more were those came from
So you are an educated idiot. Sorry, still not believeing you. Still your God also, good luck.

Wrong, dumb ass. You made specific claims and I provided proof you're a clueless asshat

Sure you did.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The president of the nation's largest Protestant denomination on Tuesday vowed never to officiate at a same-sex union, and the Southern Baptist Convention called on the U.S. Supreme Court not to declare a constitutional right to same-sex marriage.

Pastor Ronnie Floyd was speaking to delegates at the convention's annual meeting in Columbus, Ohio. But he said his message was also for the U.S. Supreme Court — which is expected to rule within days on same-sex marriage — and for all of America.

Floyd said he has compassion for people whom he described as struggling with same-sex attraction, but he said it would be wrong to remain silent on the issue.

"America: We stand believing that marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in a covenant commitment for a lifetime," Floyd said to a standing ovation from the 5,000 people in attendance. "We do not need to redefine what God himself has defined already."

<more>
So? Others will...Case closed.

<more>
The problem the anti-gay marriage faction faces is that over the last dozen years support for gay marriage among Christians has more than doubled. Currently 60% of Catholics, 62% of white main line protestants, and 28% of evangelicals now favor gay marriage.
The Episcopal Church, the United Church of Christ, the Quakers and the Unitarian Universalist Association of Churches now perform gay marriages. Southern Baptists being among the most conservative Christian denomiations will be slow to accept gay marriage, but it will come.

The Surprising Religious Breakdown Of Same-Sex Marriage Support ThinkProgress

"Southern Baptist head vows never to perform same-sex unions"

As already correctly noted: that's a ridiculous thing to 'vow.'

No one would seek to compel him to do otherwise; this is either an example of ignorance of the law or it's more about politics than religion.

<more>
The problem the anti-gay marriage faction faces is that over the last dozen years support for gay marriage among Christians has more than doubled. Currently 60% of Catholics, 62% of white main line protestants, and 28% of evangelicals now favor gay marriage.
The Episcopal Church, the United Church of Christ, the Quakers and the Unitarian Universalist Association of Churches now perform gay marriages. Southern Baptists being among the most conservative Christian denomiations will be slow to accept gay marriage, but it will come.

The Surprising Religious Breakdown Of Same-Sex Marriage Support ThinkProgress
This also calls into question the notion that as a consequence of Christian doctrine and dogma homosexuality must be 'condemned,' or seeking to deny same-sex couples their right to equal protection of the law is 'religiously justified,' when such a significant number of Christians acknowledge the 14th Amendment right of same-sex couples to access marriage law.

Clearly a particular Christian church may remain hostile to gay Americans for religious reasons, likewise individual Christians, but they're in no position to maintain that as a matter of settled and accepted Christian dogma homosexuality is 'wrong.'

Forum List

Back