Southwest airlines pilot Tammy Jo is a hero!!!

Why would that be? And thanks for sharing your apparent expertise in this area.
What I find interesting is that they haven’t found any window material inside the planes. Are they suggesting it blew outwards first? If so, what would that mean?
It would blow out...depressurized. Even if struck from the outside.
Which is understandable, but his statement sounded like it was significant.
Not really. If struck from the outside even to the point of cracking it, it will blow out on its own....It would be MORE significant if pieces of the window were found inside the plane.

This was a false flag attack to distract us from Trump crimes!

I can prove it because God told me while I was reclining in my leather La-z-boy typing on my computer.
Well, she is strong in her Christian faith. I hope this doesn't harm her hero status among some.

DALLAS (AP) - Southwest Airlines sought more time last year to inspect fan blades like the one that snapped off during one of its flights Tuesday in an engine failure that left a passenger dead.

The airline opposed a recommendation by the engine manufacturer to require ultrasonic inspections of certain fan blades within 12 months, saying it needed more time to conduct the work.

Southwest Airlines sought more time for engine inspections

Oh, boy. And someone paid the price with their life.

Good job...but I am never sitting by a window near a wing again..

Redirect Notice

SHE'S A HERO'
Southwest Airlines’ pilot Tammie Jo Shults who calmly landed plane after jet engine blew up at 32,000ft and passenger ‘sucked out’

She quickly and calmly brought the stricken plane into land at Philadelphia International at a rapid descent of 3,000ft per minute

View attachment 188621

Imagine….some are okay with planes that have no pilots, drivers that have no car…. Can you image no pilot being on that plane?

Press conference-the plane went into a 42.3 degree roll upon the failure. Fortunately the pilots got it righted almost immediately, according to the ntsb

Only caught the end of the questioning of the conference.
A bit disconcerting for passengers after hearing a loud bang since the sharpest turn (roll) we're ever likely to experience in an airliner, so I read, is 25 degrees.

Prior to take off from, I think it was, Missoula, MT, captain announced due to direction we were taking off and nearby mountains we'd be making a much steeper turn than most had likely ever experienced during climb out and just wanted the passengers to know it was an under control move so don't sweat it. No idea what degree we hit but had he not given us a heads-up it would have definitely caused some sphincters to tighten appreciably.

Press conference-the plane went into a 42.3 degree roll upon the failure. Fortunately the pilots got it righted almost immediately, according to the ntsb

A bit disconcerting for passengers after hearing a loud bang since the sharpest turn (roll) we're ever likely to experience in an airliner, so I read, is 25 degrees.

Prior to take off from, I think it was, Missoula, MT, captain announced due to direction we were taking off and nearby mountains we'd be making a much steeper turn than most had likely ever experienced during climb out and just wanted the passengers to know it was an under control move so don't sweat it. No idea what degree we hit but had he not given us a heads-up it would have definitely caused some sphincters to tighten appreciably.

There is a flight that leaves out of Denver that is like that. With the direction they have to go, there is a mountain directly in their path, and they have to climb steeply for takeoff.

There is a flight that leaves out of Denver that is like that. With the direction they have to go, there is a mountain directly in their path, and they have to climb steeply for takeoff.
While I've not flown out of there, I've heard Hong Kong is death defying.

But don't get me started on my sea stories.........

To be sucked through a broken window....in an airplane....

can not think of a worst nightmare :eek-52: :shock:
I expect the near-500 mph wind rendered her unconscious pretty quickly.

but apparently she survived....she was sucked....then unsucked....

and she was there to tell the story
You know, after I saw this and heard that a woman was almost pulled through the window, I'm gonna rethink my stand on window seats as well.

Hawaii Air Lines ruined first class for me when I saw the roof get torn off of it's first class section of the jet.

Now window seats? Guess I'm gonna have to start driving or taking a train.

How many tens of millions of flights have taken off over that time period where absolutely nothing has happened, but because of two incidents 30 years apart now it's all over for you? Don't be such a wuss.

Lol - I'm with you on that Bro. And Southwest? OmG, considering their size and the number of takeoffs and landings (most in the industry) - their safety record is amazing. One would be more likely to die walking across the street.

Tuesday’s death was the first in-flight fatality due to an accident in the 47-year history of Southwest. That doesn’t include a 2005 episode in which one of its jets skidded off a snowy runway in Chicago and onto a road, killing a 6-year-old boy in a car.

My fear of flying has mostly to do with my lack of control of the situation, and the lack of knowing what can or is going to happen. I have the utmost faith in the machine itself and in the pilots, but my greatest fear has always been a 10 minute death plunge from altitude.

That being said I do fly at least 1-2 times a year, I just get drunk before I get on the plane.

And that doesn't stop me from watching Air Disasters religiously (just not in the two weeks before I am going to fly)

This is me too. I don’t know the pilot. They could have a had fight with their spouse before leaving for work and be distracted. Or they’re hung over. Anything really.

I check in with the airline and then head for the bar. A couple of stiff drinks and I can relax enough to get on the plane. One time a friend said “Why don’t you wait until we get on the plane. The booze is complimentary (charter flight).” My response “I have to be half drunk to get ON the plane”.

This is me too. I don’t know the pilot. They could have a had fight with their spouse before leaving for work and be distracted. Or they’re hung over. Anything really.

I check in with the airline and then head for the bar. A couple of stiff drinks and I can relax enough to get on the plane. One time a friend said “Why don’t you wait until we get on the plane. The booze is complimentary (charter flight).” My response “I have to be half drunk to get ON the plane”.

I always use my frequent flyer SWA drink coupons. Sad, when Herb Kelleher ran the place the drink coupons flowed bigly and they didn't even care if your coupons were outdated.

Herb liked his cocktails but things have tightened up - INCLUDING the comedy he encouraged with flight attendants.

This is from four years ago:

Captain Schultz is my new heroine. She was so cool, calm and collected in that communication with the tower. There isn’t the slightest hint of stress in her voice.

The engine blew up. The cabin depressurized. The passengers thought they were all going to die. The tower was asking her to do things her plane couldn’t execute and she was conversing with them like it was a normal situation that was causing a slight inconvenience. No big deal.

Her husband says she’s the best pilot he’s ever seen. No shit!!!

Captain Schultz is my new heroine. She was so cool, calm and collected in that communication with the tower. There isn’t the slightest hint of stress in her voice.

The engine blew up. The cabin depressurized. The passengers thought they were all going to die. The tower was asking her to do things her plane couldn’t execute and she was conversing with them like it was a normal situation that was causing a slight inconvenience. No big deal.

Navy FA-18 pilots are like that. I remember watching some of the pilots grill another pilot on emergency procedures and it was brutal. They made him juggle some balls all the while firing rapid fire questions about what to do in various emergency scenarios. If you didn't juggle, they picked some other moderately difficult physical task to do while they grilled you.

I later asked my Dept. Head (who was a pilot), why they did it like that, and he said that they had to be able to do several things at the same time in emergency situations, and that was one way to teach them how to be calm in the middle of chaos.

Why not just get rid of the windows, put video cameras in their place and monitor screens inside. Same view, no window. Maybe too cost prohibitive now but for future planes maybe?

B5C4213D-FF05-4630-8F7F-93BEA588CA28.jpeg

Pieces they have found.

Why not just get rid of the windows, put video cameras in their place and monitor screens inside. Same view, no window. Maybe too cost prohibitive now but for future planes maybe?
Windows actually help one know what damage has been done, such as in a case like this, but without a window being breached.

Navy FA-18 pilots are like that. I remember watching some of the pilots grill another pilot on emergency procedures and it was brutal. They made him juggle some balls all the while firing rapid fire questions about what to do in various emergency scenarios. If you didn't juggle, they picked some other moderately difficult physical task to do while they grilled you.

I later asked my Dept. Head (who was a pilot), why they did it like that, and he said that they had to be able to do several things at the same time in emergency situations, and that was one way to teach them how to be calm in the middle of chaos.

One of my friends said that Navy combat training will do that for you but it’s one thing to do it in training or in a simulator and a whole other thing to do it when when the danger is real.

If that lady was my pilot, I wouldn’t need a couple of drinks to get on her plane.

While I've not flown out of there, I've heard Hong Kong is death defying.

But don't get me started on my sea stories.........
Hong Kong's old airport was interesting to say the least. On final approach in the last few seconds you'd fly through "condominium canyon," tall buildings on either side of the aircraft, higher than the plane you're flying in! You could see people through the building's windows as you zoomed by them, very weird. No such drama with the new airport though and don't know if the old one is still operational.

Hong Kong's old airport was interesting to say the least. On final approach in the last few seconds you'd fly through "condominium canyon," tall buildings on either side of the aircraft, higher than the plane you're flying in! You could see people through the building's windows as you zoomed by them, very weird.
Were the pilots speaking Arabic and saying something like Allahu Akbar? And wearing very thick glasses?

I'd imagine whatever engine part crashed through the widow would have likewise done so through the plane's skin. A hunk of steel or other metal going 450-500 mph has much lethal potential.

I'd imagine whatever engine part crashed through the widow would have likewise done so through the plane's skin. A hunk of steel or other metal going 450-500 mph has much lethal potential.

Ya, that's a good point.

To be sucked through a broken window....in an airplane....

can not think of a worst nightmare :eek-52: :shock:
I expect the near-500 mph wind rendered her unconscious pretty quickly.

but apparently she survived....she was sucked....then unsucked....

and she was there to tell the story
You know, after I saw this and heard that a woman was almost pulled through the window, I'm gonna rethink my stand on window seats as well.

Hawaii Air Lines ruined first class for me when I saw the roof get torn off of it's first class section of the jet.

Now window seats? Guess I'm gonna have to start driving or taking a train.

How many tens of millions of flights have taken off over that time period where absolutely nothing has happened, but because of two incidents 30 years apart now it's all over for you? Don't be such a wuss.

Lol - I'm with you on that Bro. And Southwest? OmG, considering their size and the number of takeoffs and landings (most in the industry) - their safety record is amazing. One would be more likely to die walking across the street.

Tuesday’s death was the first in-flight fatality due to an accident in the 47-year history of Southwest. That doesn’t include a 2005 episode in which one of its jets skidded off a snowy runway in Chicago and onto a road, killing a 6-year-old boy in a car.

My fear of flying has mostly to do with my lack of control of the situation, and the lack of knowing what can or is going to happen. I have the utmost faith in the machine itself and in the pilots, but my greatest fear has always been a 10 minute death plunge from altitude.

That being said I do fly at least 1-2 times a year, I just get drunk before I get on the plane.

And that doesn't stop me from watching Air Disasters religiously (just not in the two weeks before I am going to fly)

I find it is easier on me, the flight staff and the people who have to sit next to me if I am blasted on the plane. My flying blasted isn't a rowdy blasted, it is a quiet tense blasted.

My usual program is to take a 20 oz bottle of 7 up, drain about a 3rd of it, and replace with vodka. That is drunk on the cab ride to the airport.

If the bars are open at the terminal, then 1 more drink before getting on, then 1-2 drinks on the plane.

Forum List

Back