Spend More, Tax the Rich Americans Say

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Americans want their government to create jobs through spending on public works, investments in alternative energy or skills training for the jobless.

They also want the deficit to come down. And most are ready to hand the bill to the wealthy.

A Bloomberg National Poll conducted Dec. 3-7 shows two- thirds of Americans favor taxing the rich to reduce the deficit.

Even though almost 9 of 10 respondents also say they believe the middle class will have to make financial sacrifices to achieve that goal, only a little more than one-fourth support an increase in taxes on the middle class. Fewer still back cuts in entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare or a new national consumption tax. ...

The findings are in tune with the job-promotion initiatives President Barack Obama announced Dec. 8, as well as the administration’s assurances it will address the deficit, and proposals from some Democratic lawmakers to raise taxes on the wealthy. ...

While the public sees both unemployment and the deficit as a threat, anxiety over unemployment is higher. Eight out of 10 poll respondents rate unemployment a high risk to the economy in the next two years and 7 of 10 say the same about the deficit.

Infrastructure Spending

The poll contains some of the features Obama announced in his jobs plan. Two-thirds of Americans back boosting spending on infrastructure. Six of 10 also support more spending on alternative energy to stimulate job growth, another measure Obama announced. ...

Americans support a range of other potential new government initiatives presented as employment programs, with ideas from both parties backed by wide majorities. An across-the-board tax cut, a favorite of some Republicans, also is supported by 6 of 10 Americans.

A tax credit for businesses that hire new workers, which Obama favored as a presidential candidate and this week proposed in a limited form available only to small firms, gains backing from 7 of 10 Americans.

Skeptical About Results

Americans support the proposals even as they express doubts the federal government will help cut joblessness. A 51 percent majority say they are pessimistic about the prospects.

When it comes to the deficit, they are more distrustful: 61 percent say they are pessimistic the government will bring down the budget shortfall.

Nearly 9 out of 10 Americans say the middle class will have to make sacrifices to cut the deficit. That doesn’t mean that they are ready to embrace the idea. ...

The appeal of taxes on the wealthy crosses party lines. About half of Republicans back the idea and it is more popular among Democrats and independents. ...

The poll shows that an across-the-board 5 percent cut of all discretionary government spending also attracts support as a deficit-reduction measure, with 57 percent saying they would back it.

Majorities of poll respondents also say some big government programs either are not justified or could be cut. They included the $700 billion rescue of the nation’s banking system, the auto industry bailout, Iraq War funding, the $787 billion economic stimulus package and funding for the Afghanistan War.

Cuts in funding for the Medicare prescription drug program would be resisted by 71 percent.

Americans Want Government to Spend for Jobs, Send Bill to Rich - Bloomberg.com

Exactly.. most people never consider themselves among the 'rich'.. and it is easy to demonize and try and force the punishment on to someone else..

This is EXACTLY why we are not a strict democracy and exactly why the country is set up as a republic... to keep they tyranny of masses from taking away the freedoms of the rest of the country

Americans want their government to create jobs through spending on public works, investments in alternative energy or skills training for the jobless.

They also want the deficit to come down. And most are ready to hand the bill to the wealthy.

A Bloomberg National Poll conducted Dec. 3-7 shows two- thirds of Americans favor taxing the rich to reduce the deficit.

Even though almost 9 of 10 respondents also say they believe the middle class will have to make financial sacrifices to achieve that goal, only a little more than one-fourth support an increase in taxes on the middle class. Fewer still back cuts in entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare or a new national consumption tax. ...

The findings are in tune with the job-promotion initiatives President Barack Obama announced Dec. 8, as well as the administration’s assurances it will address the deficit, and proposals from some Democratic lawmakers to raise taxes on the wealthy. ...

While the public sees both unemployment and the deficit as a threat, anxiety over unemployment is higher. Eight out of 10 poll respondents rate unemployment a high risk to the economy in the next two years and 7 of 10 say the same about the deficit.

Infrastructure Spending

The poll contains some of the features Obama announced in his jobs plan. Two-thirds of Americans back boosting spending on infrastructure. Six of 10 also support more spending on alternative energy to stimulate job growth, another measure Obama announced. ...

Americans support a range of other potential new government initiatives presented as employment programs, with ideas from both parties backed by wide majorities. An across-the-board tax cut, a favorite of some Republicans, also is supported by 6 of 10 Americans.

A tax credit for businesses that hire new workers, which Obama favored as a presidential candidate and this week proposed in a limited form available only to small firms, gains backing from 7 of 10 Americans.

Skeptical About Results

Americans support the proposals even as they express doubts the federal government will help cut joblessness. A 51 percent majority say they are pessimistic about the prospects.

When it comes to the deficit, they are more distrustful: 61 percent say they are pessimistic the government will bring down the budget shortfall.

Nearly 9 out of 10 Americans say the middle class will have to make sacrifices to cut the deficit. That doesn’t mean that they are ready to embrace the idea. ...

The appeal of taxes on the wealthy crosses party lines. About half of Republicans back the idea and it is more popular among Democrats and independents. ...

The poll shows that an across-the-board 5 percent cut of all discretionary government spending also attracts support as a deficit-reduction measure, with 57 percent saying they would back it.

Majorities of poll respondents also say some big government programs either are not justified or could be cut. They included the $700 billion rescue of the nation’s banking system, the auto industry bailout, Iraq War funding, the $787 billion economic stimulus package and funding for the Afghanistan War.

Cuts in funding for the Medicare prescription drug program would be resisted by 71 percent.

Americans Want Government to Spend for Jobs, Send Bill to Rich - Bloomberg.com

I have a hunch, Rasmussen's poll would show something completely different.....just sayin'

A rightist will refer to capital flight and the Laffer Curve as justifications against more steeply progressive taxation; a leftist will refer to diminishing marginal utility, as $10 is effectively worth more to a man with $100 than to a man with $1,000, to put it in simpler terms. I'd agree that the latter justification is more persuasive for various reasons.

A rightist will refer to capital flight and the Laffer Curve as justifications against more steeply progressive taxation; a leftist will refer to diminishing marginal utility, as $10 is effectively worth more to a man with $100 than to a man with $1,000, to put it in simpler terms. I'd agree that the latter justification is more persuasive for various reasons.

Marginal utility is just a justification for higher taxes on the most productive.

Personally every dollar i earn is just as important as any other.

I just utilize it differently (better) than someone else would.

No, an economist will show that if you increase incentives to certain behavior, like low earnings, then you get it.
A political hack will use terms like "marginal utility" to justify communistic type policies that have been proven to bankrupt every country they've been tried in.

Marginal utility is just a justification for higher taxes on the most productive.

Well, even appealing to basic intuition, we're aware that money far in excess of what is needed for the purchase of essential necessities will be used on commodities or simply hoarded. This is particularly morally repugnant because of the fact that these usages provide far less happiness than a poorer person's usage of that same money on necessities would. For example, Ahuvia's If money doesn't make us happy, why do we act as if it does? notes that "[r]esearch on income and subjective well-being shows that among the non-poor, increased income has little or no lasting impact on happiness."

No, an economist will show that if you increase incentives to certain behavior, like low earnings, then you get it.
A political hack will use terms like "marginal utility" to justify communistic type policies that have been proven to bankrupt every country they've been tried in.

An increase of progressive taxation on the basis of diminishing marginal utility will finance the social infrastructure so critical in the state's role in maintaining stability in the capitalist economy. That's ultimately quite inconsistent with communism, inasmuch as the private ownership of the means of production is sustained this way.

It seems fair to me as the rich receive more tax cuts than the rest of us. For example, they've enjoyed lower rates on investment income that most receive on actual employment income.

They've had a nice ride for years maybe it is time for them to put some money into the country that enabled them to thrive.

It seems fair to me as the rich receive more tax cuts than the rest of us. For example, they've enjoyed lower rates on investment income that most receive on actual employment income.

They've had a nice ride for years maybe it is time for them to put some money into the country that enabled them to thrive.

Yet their rates are still higher, Ravi

Let's see you call for and support true equality with an equal % tax system on every dollar earned by every citizen

Let's see you call for and support true equality with an equal % tax system on every dollar earned by every citizen
I do support that. To me it is ridiculous that investment income is taxed at a lower rate.

The most productive for who? Themselves?

I'm tired of hearing "tax the rich" every time I turn on the tv or listen to certain radio shows. If we really wanted to do something to help America, we should tax the dumbasses. That would get people back into school to obtain more education and as a way to lower their taxes and hence, improve their lot in life.

I do support that. To me it is ridiculous that investment income is taxed at a lower rate.

Then why do you continue to sing the praises of increasing taxation on only some, all the while they share a higher % burden than the rest of the populous

americans want their government to create jobs through spending on public works, investments in alternative energy or skills training for the jobless.

A bloomberg national poll conducted dec. 3-7 shows two- thirds of americans favor taxing the rich to reduce the deficit.

Even though almost 9 of 10 respondents also say they believe the middle class will have to make financial sacrifices to achieve that goal, only a little more than one-fourth support an increase in taxes on the middle class. Fewer still back cuts in entitlement programs such as social security and medicare or a new national consumption tax. ...

The findings are in tune with the job-promotion initiatives president barack obama announced dec. 8, as well as the administration’s assurances it will address the deficit, and proposals from some democratic lawmakers to raise taxes on the wealthy. ...

Infrastructure spending

the poll contains some of the features obama announced in his jobs plan. Two-thirds of americans back boosting spending on infrastructure. Six of 10 also support more spending on alternative energy to stimulate job growth, another measure obama announced. ...

Americans support a range of other potential new government initiatives presented as employment programs, with ideas from both parties backed by wide majorities. An across-the-board tax cut, a favorite of some republicans, also is supported by 6 of 10 americans.

A tax credit for businesses that hire new workers, which obama favored as a presidential candidate and this week proposed in a limited form available only to small firms, gains backing from 7 of 10 americans.

Skeptical about results

americans support the proposals even as they express doubts the federal government will help cut joblessness. A 51 percent majority say they are pessimistic about the prospects.

Nearly 9 out of 10 americans say the middle class will have to make sacrifices to cut the deficit. That doesn’t mean that they are ready to embrace the idea. ...

The appeal of taxes on the wealthy crosses party lines. About half of republicans back the idea and it is more popular among democrats and independents. ...

Majorities of poll respondents also say some big government programs either are not justified or could be cut. They included the $700 billion rescue of the nation’s banking system, the auto industry bailout, iraq war funding, the $787 billion economic stimulus package and funding for the afghanistan war.

Cuts in funding for the medicare prescription drug program would be resisted by 71 percent.

americans want government to spend for jobs, send bill to rich - bloomberg.com

i have a hunch, rasmussen's poll would show something completely different.....just sayin'

lol

Then why do you continue to sing the praises of increasing taxation on only some, all the while they share a higher % burden than the rest of the populous
Because the "some" have so many loopholes that they do not share the same tax burden as the rest of us.

Because the "some" have so many loopholes that they do not share the same tax burden as the rest of us.

And some pay no income tax at all.. yet you do not bat an eyelash

Like offshore bank accounts, perhaps?

Forum List

Back