Stand and Deliver

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Some teachers take the lazy route and show movies all the damn time. I consider that "phoning it in" and don't do it too often. When I do show movies, they are related to the unit we are working on. These are older movies without racing cars or bikini models. The students tend to hate the movies I choose when I rarely show them.

My most advanced ESL class is working on a unit about education. The text is ridiculously outdated, so I have been supplementing with my own original content. Last week, I showed them Stand and Deliver. The movie came out in 1988, so I expected the kids to hate it, but I was wrong. These are kids that many of you would be terrified of just from looking at them, but they were mesmerized by the film. I was really surprised. Lots of productive class discussions following. The kids know what's up.

Some teachers take the lazy route and show movies all the damn time. I consider that "phoning it in" and don't do it too often. When I do show movies, they are related to the unit we are working on. These are older movies without racing cars or bikini models. The students tend to hate the movies I choose when I rarely show them.

My most advanced ESL class is working on a unit about education. The text is ridiculously outdated, so I have been supplementing with my own original content. Last week, I showed them Stand and Deliver. The movie came out in 1988, so I expected the kids to hate it, but I was wrong. These are kids that many of you would be terrified of just from looking at them, but they were mesmerized by the film. I was really surprised. Lots of productive class discussions following. The kids know what's up.
Love that movie.

I think it is very important to emphasize to classes, before you even start it, that it is a true story.

All we ever got, back in the day, in the way of movies at school were the Bell science films, such as Hemo The Magnificient.

how so?
~S~

It opened my mind to a different way of thinking about stuff. I will assume that you know the movie, or at least the premise and the inspiration for it...

The movie, the dialogue, made me think, made me consider things I hadn't before. The damage religion is capable of, the good, the idea that perhaps evolution and creationism might not be mutually exclusive. That you can be a person of faith (though I am not especially so) and still believe in science. It opened my eyes to people who lack curiosity and imagination, the willfully ignorant and blind... people with narrow minds.

One of the courtroom exchanges that gave me pause:

Henry Drummond: [Brady is testifying about the first day of creation] That first day, what do you think, it was 24 hours long?
Matthew Harrison Brady: The Bible says it was a day.
Henry Drummond: Well, there was no sun out. How do you know how long it was?
Matthew Harrison Brady: The Bible says it was a day!
Henry Drummond: Well, was it a normal day, a literal day, 24 hour day?
Matthew Harrison Brady: I don't know.
Henry Drummond: What do you think?
Matthew Harrison Brady: I do not think about things that I do not think about.
Henry Drummond: Do you ever think about things that you do thing about? Isn't it possible that it could have been 25 hours? There's no way to measure it; no way to tell. Could it have been 25 hours?
Matthew Harrison Brady: It's possible.
Henry Drummond: Then you interpret that the first day as recorded in the Book of Genesis could've been a day of indeterminate length.
Matthew Harrison Brady: I mean to state that it is not necessarily a 24 hour day.
Henry Drummond: It could've been 30 hours, could've been a week, could've been a month, could've been a year, could've been a hundred years, or it could've been 10 million years!

Last edited:

First off no reason to be terrified or terrorized by the kid features and second congrats on engaging their minds.

I am advocate in teaching by using life experiences like when cooking it is just not about the measurement and taste but they should know the history of the dish they are making.

So congrats.

I remember being shown documetaries of what the Nazis did in English calss.

I had a teacher in an English Lit. class that showed "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

T'was my first exposure to Monty Python and helped me better understand things British.
:113:

What do you think of teachers who post on the internet during school hours?

What do you think of teachers who post on the internet during school hours?
I think a very full class of students is diligently working on a project right now. One girl just went to the nurse, and one boy just asked for girlfriend advice. They are doing great, and I'm very proud of them.

I think a very full class of students is diligently working on a project right now. One girl just went to the nurse, and one boy just asked for girlfriend advice. They are doing great, and I'm very proud of them.
Suuuuure you are.

You post way to frequently during school hours to be an actual teacher

Forum List

Back