Star Wars, the culture wars, and the New Star Wars, the Left Strikes Back...

Man make a black guy and a woman hero's in the Star Wars universe, and conservatives lose their minds

:cuckoo:

But it isn't just so-called conservatives who are up in arms. Feminists are pissed because Captain Phasma, this feminist icon for some reason, is completely incompetent as a Stormtrooper Commander. They're also miffed because Rey ends up as a damsel-in-distress at one point and because Princess Leia really has no role except to stand on the sidelines.

There's just no pleasing some people. They can't just sit back and enjoy the movies without being offended by something. Like we say in my part of the country, they'd complain if you hung them with a new rope.

Man make a black guy and a woman hero's in the Star Wars universe, and conservatives lose their minds

I didn't have any problems with Mace Windu. He was a badass that didn't do any hand holding shit, he did what was necessary to stand up against evil and destroy it. He did it with attitude and even some anger, but it didn't mean he was full of hatred or heading down the dark side.

You progs just see race in everything. If we dare criticize a black character, it must be "racism". The Finn character was completely unnecessary. If they took him out completely it wouldn't had changed the story at all, other than one more x-wing pilot would be dead.

I didn't have any problems with Mace Windu. He was a badass that didn't do any hand holding shit, he did what was necessary to stand up against evil and destroy it. He did it with attitude and even some anger, but it didn't mean he was full of hatred or heading down the dark side.

You progs just see race in everything. If we dare criticize a black character, it must be "racism". The Finn character was completely unnecessary. If they took him out completely it wouldn't had changed the story at all, other than one more x-wing pilot would be dead.
Okay so how does Poe escape then? Who decides to go save Rey then? Who tells them how to take the shields of the Starkiller down then? Finn sets the entire movie into motion.

Face it, you're just PO'd they put a negro in the spotlight. Mace Windu was a side character, and the prequels were shit.

Okay so how does Poe escape then? Who decides to go save Rey then? Who tells them how to take the shields of the Starkiller down then? Finn sets the entire movie into motion.

Face it, you're just PO'd they put a negro in the spotlight. Mace Windu was a side character, and the prequels were shit.

As I said, the only thing would had been that Poe would die, but he was totally unnecessary after he sent off the droid. Rey didn't need saving, she escaped herself remember? It was really Han that went after her anyway. I'm sure they could of found a more plausible way of getting the shields down than by relying on an ex-janitor turned conscious-objector, you know, like using their superior Resistance/Republic fleet to occupy the planet weapon.

Poe and BB8 set the movie into motion, not the janitor.

As I said, the only thing would had been that Poe would die, but he was totally unnecessary after he sent off the droid. Rey didn't need saving, she escaped herself remember? It was really Han that went after her anyway. I'm sure they could of found a more plausible way of getting the shields down than by relying on an ex-janitor turned conscious-objector, you know, like using their superior Resistance/Republic fleet to occupy the planet weapon.

Poe is a central character to the entire plot. I know you wish he'd died so that a scary black guy wouldn't be in the movie, but Disney and the overwhelming majority of Star Wars fans laugh at your nonsense.

Poe is a central character to the entire plot. I know you wish he'd died so that a scary black guy wouldn't be in the movie, but Disney and the overwhelming majority of Star Wars fans laugh at your nonsense.

You're an idiot, Poe was in no way "central" to the entire plot. He was no more important than the Botham spies that died in ROTJ.

You're an idiot, Poe was in no way "central" to the entire plot. He was no more important than the Botham spies that died in ROTJ.
It seems you haven't read anything about the new movies so I'm not surprised you think that Poe has no relevance to the new trilogy.

Sorry there's a black guy and a woman in the new movies. I guess you shouldn't watch any of them.

It seems you haven't read anything about the new movies so I'm not surprised you think that Poe has no relevance to the new trilogy.

Sorry there's a black guy and a woman in the new movies. I guess you shouldn't watch any of them.

It's obvious they are building him up for the future movies. My point is, he really wasn't important for this movie. The movies are all about the Skywalkers, this one was no different. It feels like Finn was only written in to sell more action figures.

It's obvious they are building him up for the future movies. My point is, he really wasn't important for this movie. The movies are all about the Skywalkers, this one was no different. It feels like Finn was only written in to sell more action figures.
Well that's a stupid opinion. Good thing it doesn't matter. I'm done with this convo. If you dislike all of the most significant characters in the new trilogy, then don't watch the movies.

From what I can see no one is complaining about Rae being a woman or Fin being black…..we are complaining about giving Rae so much talent and so much power that she can't really grow as a character…….and the reason they gave her so much power is because of whacked out leftist crap. And Fin, they made him comic relief, helpless in almost all situations and as a storm trooper completely incompetent.

From what I can see no one is complaining about Rae being a woman or Fin being black…..we are complaining about giving Rae so much talent and so much power that she can't really grow as a character…….and the reason they gave her so much power is because of whacked out leftist crap. And Fin, they made him comic relief, helpless in almost all situations and as a storm trooper completely incompetent.

What power did she supposedly have? It strikes me that her power was less than 8 year old Aniken in the prequels being able to win a pod race and then pilot a Naboo fighter and then destroy a Trade Federation starship from the inside.

THAT was silly and improbable.

So let's see now, Fin was so helpless that he escaped from a Star destroyer, made his way across the desert, fought his way out of a ship that was crawling with monsters and bounty hunters, went one on one with a better armed Stormtrooper, then even managed to hold his own in a lightsaber duel with Kylo Ren. If he were white, you'd be cheering him as a hero....

If he were white.

My neighbors - who are very nice people - won't let their kids watch Star Wars because they think The Force is anti-Christian.

And I live in a nice middle-class neighborhood.

What power did she supposedly have? It strikes me that her power was less than 8 year old Aniken in the prequels being able to win a pod race and then pilot a Naboo fighter and then destroy a Trade Federation starship from the inside.

THAT was silly and improbable.

So let's see now, Fin was so helpless that he escaped from a Star destroyer, made his way across the desert, fought his way out of a ship that was crawling with monsters and bounty hunters, went one on one with a better armed Stormtrooper, then even managed to hold his own in a lightsaber duel with Kylo Ren. If he were white, you'd be cheering him as a hero....

If he were white.

You realize that with no training or knowledge of it's existence she used the Jedi mind trick, and used a lightsaber like a fully trained jedi……and not to mention grabbed the light saber from a distance….without even the rudimentary lessons from obi wan…….

Fin…..was comic relief…he was saved at each point by another character…….Poe flew the ship, Rae killed the monsters and how do you figure he held his own with kylo ten?

You realize that with no training or knowledge of it's existence she used the Jedi mind trick, and used a lightsaber like a fully trained jedi……and not to mention grabbed the light saber from a distance….without even the rudimentary lessons from obi wan…….

How would you conclude she had no knowledge of the Force? All of these things happened AFTER she had her vision in the basement of that bar.

how do you figure he held his own with kylo ten?

He didn't DIE!

and more...

'The Force Awakens' Is the Worst Thing Ever - Breitbart

Why is she amazing? Girl power, of course. Girls can just do the most incredible shit that boys never could. They can fly ageing space cruisers they’ve never once flown before, mastering the controls in seconds to the point where, just a minute later, they can steer them through near-impossible dog fight manoeuvres. They’re good in hand-to-hand combat situations too. They’re so naturally brilliant — because they’re girls, obv. — that they don’t even need to undergo lengthy training sessions on Dagobah in the use of The Force. (Bollocks this is).

And they’re great mechanics, too, because, again, girls are like that: their minds are so geared to engineering and spacecraft maintenance and stuff, they can teach guys like Han Solo a thing or two, just you listen. Oh, and they’re also fluent in robot. Some critics of the old school might argue that a heroine who can overcome every obstacle without difficulty is a heroine without interest or entertainment value or, indeed, plausibility. But that’s just sexism.

-------------

9. Token

Token. That’s what John Boyega’s character would be called if this were South Park. But he’s not. He’s called — oh, whatever, I forget and I’m not going to look it up.

The tragic thing is that Boyega is actually one of Britain’s most charismatic young actors — check him out in the infinitely superior sci-fi movie Attack The Block. In The Force Awakens, however, Boyega has only two functions: 1.) be black 2.) be scaredy-cat and useless so that the Rey character (see above) can show how feisty and amazing and not-scared-of-anything and omnicompetent girls are by comparison.

Director JJ Abrams has congratulated himself on the diversity of his casting. I’d say the creation of a character whose only real jobs are to be black and benignly lame has set the diversity clock back to the pre-Civil-War era.

I guess most of you missed out on the fact that Storm Troopers had been clones, but now they were young children stolen from their families and brainwashed to be the warriors for the First Order. Did anyone else notice Captain Phasma is female?

I guess most of you missed out on the fact that Storm Troopers had been clones, but now they were young children stolen from their families and brainwashed to be the warriors for the First Order. Did anyone else notice Captain Phasma is female?

And?

And?

Do you really need to be spoonfed? These are not your father's Storm Troopers. Fin has a conscience (not "conscious" for all of you who can't seem to spell) and Phasma just rolled over when threatened by Han.

As she leads into the review of The Force Awakens...he has to go back and look at the first three.....and he does well too....

STAR WARS and EMPIRE STRIKES BACK were basically healthy, that is, conservative in moral outlook, as are all dramatic dramas, even the simplest. Conservatism is about taking responsibility for actions, earning, working, fighting, and doing. Conservatives believe in free will.

Leftism is about evading responsibility. It is unhealthy. It is about blaming someone else, the Capitalist conspiracy, the Jewish conspiracy, the Patriarchal conspiracy, for any shortcomings. It is about worrying about things where no one has any control, like the weather, and ignoring things where something needs to and can be done, like a war. Leftism believes in free emotions, but not free will.

Hence in RETURN, we had the absurdity of being told that anger, and anger alone, regardless of the provocation or object, was the definition of evil. If Luke has lost his temper even for one second, so the plot told us, he would suddenly change from good to evil like flipping a lightswitch. And he would be Lawful Evil, too, immediately vowing eternal fealty to the Emperor.

It was supposed to be a scene where Luke was tempted by the Dark Side, but at no point was there any temptation involved: the Emperor did not offer anything whatsoever that Luke wanted, not even “I will spare your friends and let them escape if you bow and serve me.”

The scene was painfully shallow and painful to watch, written by someone who had correctly and accurately boiled Leftism down to its clearest expression: a world where results mean nothing, and only intentions matter. It was a scene written by someone who has no idea what prompts men either to resist or to surrender to temptation, someone who does not know the difference between good and evil. There is more to moral righteousness than keeping one’s temper.

It was supposed to be a scene where Luke was tempted by the Dark Side, but at no point was there any temptation involved: the Emperor did not offer anything whatsoever that Luke wanted, not even “I will spare your friends and let them escape if you bow and serve me.”

Wow you totally fail to understand this scene.

The Emperor's temptation was "attachment", attachment to Luke's friends would cause him to serve the Emperor, because to serve the Light side of the Force is to forsake all attachments.

Remember, it was attachment to his friends that caused Luke to leave his training and go back before his training was truly complete in the first place.

We aren't told that Anger and Anger alone causes one to join the dark side. In fact, Luke was already tempted by the Dark Side when he asked Yoda how he will know the Light from the Dark, and Yoda replies "You will know, when you are passive, calm." So you and this stupid author do not understand the Force at all.

In fact if you want a better understanding here read this!

What is the Force? What motivates the Light AND the Dark?

"To turn from the light is to see your own shadow." -- ancient proverb.

What motivates a villain is very hard to describe, but what motivates the dark side is not so hard to understand, but it is greatly misunderstood.

Certainly power and control are motivations on the surface, they are projections of internal conflict and are later manifestations of something we all relate to, that is, to control one's own passions and emotions.

The force sensitive is born into a world with great attachment to things, to their mother most of all. The force user might find their power disturbing, they can choke those that anger them, manipulate those that resist their will. To stand in the light is to see your own shadow. The evil that can be done by the force causes anyone not a psychopath to question their own goodness.

Their attachment to things causes them to fear loss, to fear mistakes, to feel guilt for the accumulation of their failures, their impulses, their desires.

The dark side is motivated, truly motivated, by controlling these things. From there it fractures down many paths, control leads to totalitarianism, control of power allows more manipulation of others, more power over those that might hurt you, more fear that you will never be strong enough to save the ones you love even from the one thing that cannot be defeated.

Death.

The darksider, before they even realize they are being seduced by the dark side, is seeking a strong man, someone who has walked the path before, to teach them, or discipline them to control their passions, to suppress them, to repress their emotions which cause them such pain over the loss of the things they are attached to.

Luke Skywalker felt this conflict, Obi Wan admits it to Yoda when Yoda says he will not train the boy, Obi Wan asks Yoda was he any different at first?

Luke Skywalker is doubtful of his own goodness, how will he know the light from the dark? "When you are Passive, calm", Yoda replies.

The Light offers the only true answer to a Jedi, but it is an answer all confront and few can truly accept.

What did the Emperor tempt Luke with at the end? He tempted Luke with the threat of the loss of things Luke held most dear, imagine that one thing you are attached to, that one thing you cannot do with out!

Imagine a creature you hate, threatens you, that you want to destroy, threatens to destroy everything you love, but promises to spare them if you submit, if you surrender yourself to the same submission that all the darksiders seek.

Can you let go of that one thing you hold most dear? Can you really?

Can you truly let go?

This is the answer you must give to walk in the Light.

To be a Jedi is to let go of all things!

So what motivates the light? The exact same thing as the dark, to control their passions, only their answers differ.

The dark controls it with force, with power, and from there loses any control over it at all.

The light lets it go, gives it up, ceases to struggle to try and control it and only by losing everything do they gain everything and are no longer ruled by their emotions, dominated by their desires, and so they can never be ruled or dominated by others.

So then what is the Force? Is it light? Is it dark? Or both?

It is neither. It is like art, a person is a filter, and though the painting is the same intrinsic thing no matter who gazes upon it, the person takes it in, filters it from their own perspectives, and visualizes it differently.

A person takes in the force, and if they cannot accept the answer the light requires, they inevitably find themselves walking the path of the dark side.

They may not all become Sith Lords, or evil villains.

But so long as they remain attached, they are vulnerable to the seductions of those creatures.

So long as they remain attached, they have something to lose, something to fear, something to hate.

They turn from the answer the light provides, and are consumed in their own shadow until all that surrounds them is the darkness.

But I feel the movies elloquently show, that you can at any time surrender, at any time you can let go of all attachment to things, to hopes and desires, and in doing so you turn from the darkness to find it was only your own shadow blocking out all the light, you turn and face the light and in there you dwell.

Forum List

Back