State Department issues travel warning for Israel, Gaza, West Bank

Shaarona

Dec 23, 2013
This certainly took me by surprise.. I didn't think there had ever been travel warnings in Israel.

By Mary Forgione Daily Deal and Travel Blogger
February 4, 2014, 8:00 a.m.

The State Department on Monday strongly warned Americans against travel to the West Bank and Gaza after violent clashes in the border area last month played out amid current peace talks. Section fronts

"The security environment remains complex in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza, and U.S. citizens need to be aware of the continuing risks of travel to these areas," the warning said.

The statement comes after violence erupted in the Gaza Strip last month when Palestinians attacked Israeli soldiers with rocks and burning tires during a protest. The Israelis later opened fire, killing one protester and injuring another.

The cross-border conflicts came during peace talks between Palestinians and Israel that began in July. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry visited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu last week and plans to soon present a framework agreement for peace in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, the State Department warned U.S. travelers about the risk of "small arms fire, anti-tank weapons, rockets and mortars" being launched from Gaza toward Israel. U.S. citizens should leave Gaza immediately, the warning said, noting that the area is under control of the terrorist organization Hamas.

c:confused:ontinued

State Department issues travel warning for Israel, Gaza, West Bank - latimes.com

This certainly took me by surprise.. I didn't think there had ever been travel warnings in Israel.

The State Department on Monday strongly warned Americans against travel to the West Bank and Gaza after violent clashes in the border area last month played out amid current peace talks. Section fronts

"The security environment remains complex in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza, and U.S. citizens need to be aware of the continuing risks of travel to these areas," the warning said.

The statement comes after violence erupted in the Gaza Strip last month when Palestinians attacked Israeli soldiers with rocks and burning tires during a protest. The Israelis later opened fire, killing one protester and injuring another.

The cross-border conflicts came during peace talks between Palestinians and Israel that began in July. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry visited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu last week and plans to soon present a framework agreement for peace in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, the State Department warned U.S. travelers about the risk of "small arms fire, anti-tank weapons, rockets and mortars" being launched from Gaza toward Israel. U.S. citizens should leave Gaza immediately, the warning said, noting that the area is under control of the terrorist organization Hamas.

State Department issues travel warning for Israel, Gaza, West Bank - latimes.com

That is strange. Gaza is the safest place to go.

I wouldn't travel to Palestine these days.

Not for long. Hamas can run but it can't hide. If it hides behind civilians then the responsibility is on Hamas for possible civilian deaths.

People have been going to Gaza all the time in complete safety.

Only if you are a hamas supporter.

But according to the anti semitic Jew haters if you go to gaza you will be shot by the Israeli's

Your title should say "state dept issues warning to stay away from Palestinian terrorist animals."

Last edited:

Unless you plan on starring in a "Islamist savages kidnapped an American" video.

Your title should say "state dept issues warning to stay away from Palestinian terrorist animals."

Don't I wish. This Kerry State Department is warning Americans about Israel's larger cities. I don't know why, Roudy. :(

Major Metropolitan Areas in Israel
Personal safety conditions in major metropolitan areas, including Tel Aviv and Haifa and their surrounding regions, are comparable to or better than those in other major global cities. Please see below for specific information regarding Jerusalem. Tourists, students, and businesspeople from around the world are welcome. Visitors should observe appropriate personal security practices to reduce their vulnerability to crime, particularly late at night or in isolated or economically depressed areas, including in the countryside. Visitors are advised to avoid large gatherings or demonstrations and keep current with local news, which is available through numerous English language sources.
U.S. citizen employees of the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv and Consulate General in Jerusalem and their families are prohibited from using public buses and their associated terminals and bus stops throughout the country. In November, 2012, a bomb exploded on a public bus in downtown Tel Aviv, causing several injuries. In December 2013, a bomb exploded on a public bus in Bat Yam after all of the passengers had been evacuated. Additionally, in November 2012, long-range rockets launched from Gaza reached as far north as Tel Aviv and southern Jerusalem. In light of the threat of rocket or missile attacks, visitors and U.S. citizens living in Israel should also familiarize themselves with the location of the nearest bomb shelter (often referred to as a secure or protected room). Since the early 1990s, the Government of Israel has required that all new homes and buildings include a designated shelter. Visitors should seek information on shelters from hotel staff or building managers.
The Government of Israel has had a long-standing policy of issuing gas masks to its citizens and, starting in 2010, it began issuing replacement masks. It stopped this distribution process in early 2014, but does not rule out starting it again at any time, in response to regional events. Visitors and foreign residents in Israel are not issued masks and must individually procure them, if desired. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate General do not provide gas masks for persons who are not U.S. government employees or their dependents. For further emergency preparedness guidance, please visit the website of the Government of Israel's Home Front Command, which provides information on how to choose a secure space in a home or apartment, as well as a list of the types of protective kits (gas masks) issued by the Government of Israel to its citizens.

Not tonight, it won't be!

Don't I wish. This Kerry State Department is warning Americans about Israel's larger cities. I don't know why, Roudy. :(

Personal safety conditions in major metropolitan areas, including Tel Aviv and Haifa and their surrounding regions, are comparable to or better than those in other major global cities. Please see below for specific information regarding Jerusalem. Tourists, students, and businesspeople from around the world are welcome. Visitors should observe appropriate personal security practices to reduce their vulnerability to crime, particularly late at night or in isolated or economically depressed areas, including in the countryside. Visitors are advised to avoid large gatherings or demonstrations and keep current with local news, which is available through numerous English language sources.
U.S. citizen employees of the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv and Consulate General in Jerusalem and their families are prohibited from using public buses and their associated terminals and bus stops throughout the country. In November, 2012, a bomb exploded on a public bus in downtown Tel Aviv, causing several injuries. In December 2013, a bomb exploded on a public bus in Bat Yam after all of the passengers had been evacuated. Additionally, in November 2012, long-range rockets launched from Gaza reached as far north as Tel Aviv and southern Jerusalem. In light of the threat of rocket or missile attacks, visitors and U.S. citizens living in Israel should also familiarize themselves with the location of the nearest bomb shelter (often referred to as a secure or protected room). Since the early 1990s, the Government of Israel has required that all new homes and buildings include a designated shelter. Visitors should seek information on shelters from hotel staff or building managers.
The Government of Israel has had a long-standing policy of issuing gas masks to its citizens and, starting in 2010, it began issuing replacement masks. It stopped this distribution process in early 2014, but does not rule out starting it again at any time, in response to regional events. Visitors and foreign residents in Israel are not issued masks and must individually procure them, if desired. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate General do not provide gas masks for persons who are not U.S. government employees or their dependents. For further emergency preparedness guidance, please visit the website of the Government of Israel's Home Front Command, which provides information on how to choose a secure space in a home or apartment, as well as a list of the types of protective kits (gas masks) issued by the Government of Israel to its citizens.
That's true Becki. But they are talking about Israel's cities in the South. Israel will be prepared to retaliate ten fold should Hamas decide to do so.

This is not all that new. There have been numerous travel advisories for many parts of Eretz Yisrael. Nothing in the wording of this looks even a little bit out of line. Standard stuff.

for instance:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/w...partment-issues-global-travel-alert.html?_r=0

There were numerous such warnings in 2006, in the summer.

Forum List

Back