State sterilized inmates against their will

The question "Do you think that forced sterilization of this and other problematic" whatever is negated if the women had to voluntarily sign agreements to authorize a tubal litigation.

Did the women voluntarily sign and agree to the tubal litigations?

If so, this OP is fail.

Do you even read the damn link...What exactly is voluntary about prison dumb ass? What they gonna do run away? christ sakes...

Do you even bother to read the rules for this forum?

Answer the question: did they have to sign a form in order to authorize a tubal litigation?

signing a form doesn't prove that it was not FORCED.
One can sign the consent and still be considered forced. And one can refuse any procedure even after he/she signed 10 consents - that is the law.

The question "Do you think that forced sterilization of this and other problematic" whatever is negated if the women had to voluntarily sign agreements to authorize a tubal litigation.

prove that it was voluntary. Signature on the form does not preclude she refused it after or that the signature was not forced.

No, those who support the OP affirmation have to prove that the signatures were not voluntary.

You can't, and you fail the OP. That is the whole point: you can't carry the affirmation.

The signature does not matter. The patient can refuse the procedure even if she/he signed million consents - and can refuse VERBALLY a minute before the procedure starts - that is ALL what matters.
It's the law.

Do you even read the damn link...What exactly is voluntary about prison dumb ass? What they gonna do run away? christ sakes...

Answer the question: did they have to sign a form in order to authorize a tubal litigation?

One can sign the consent and still be considered forced. And one can refuse any procedure even after he/she signed 10 consents - that is the law.

some stated they were being harassed while in surgery to sign it. During a time like that is not appropriate, in my opinion.

The patients agreed to the litigation and could have backed out at anytime.

One could make an argument that the pressure on these patients to agree is similar to the pressure the reactionary legislatures place on women who want abortions.

some stated they were being harassed while in surgery to sign it. During a time like that is not appropriate, in my opinion.

I know how it works. I sign consents all the time. And I know the law on medical consents. It does not differ behind bars.
One can refuse a medical procedure being on a operating table - and it is a CRIME to proceed.
And it is against the law to harass the patient for any additional procedure - one has to go the other road around. It happens all the time that the necessity to do some other stuff arises and the patient is unable to consent - he/she is under sedation/anesthesia - then there are other routes to go, you can not just harass the patient ( even if she/he is awake)

Last edited:
California isn't a reflection of the rest of the country. Heck, half the time it acts like a country unto itself.

From the link:

"As soon as he found out that I had five kids, he suggested that I look into getting it done. The closer I got to my due date, the more he talked about it," said Christina Cordero, 34, who spent two years in prison for auto theft. "He made me feel like a bad mother if I didn't do it."

A convict who keeps cranking out kids, who will be sucking up a lot of taxpayer money. Five kids! I would strongly recommend a free tubal ligation, too.

Montano, 42, was serving time after pleading guilty to burglary, forgery and receiving stolen property. The mother of seven children, she said neither Heinrich nor the medical staff told her why she needed a tubal ligation.

Come on!!

Last edited:
A lot of things occur in jail but because we've managed to do two things: Lock up the most citizens of any other Country and 2) Made someone in jail appear less than human

Most look the other way with a "they deserve it" or "who cares attitude"

The State of California is doing the right thing in encouraging free tubal litigations: good for the woman, good for the tax payer.

A lot of things occur in jail but because we've managed to do two things: Lock up the most citizens of any other Country and 2) Made someone in jail appear less than human

hey, most even consider forced sterilization on some segments of the society a "good thing"

Would you prefer we didn't lock them up and just did as other countries do and either execute them or let them run wild?

If people voluntarily get the procedure done, how is it happening against their will?

Would you prefer we didn't lock them up and just did as other countries do and either execute them or let them run wild?

false premise. other countries do not execute and do not lock that many people.
Mandatory sentencing is one of the reasons we have so many inmates.
And it is a business, too

One of the criminals in the story had seven children. These are seven kids with a mom in prison. If I worked at the prison, I would ask her, "ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?!?!" and I would strongly suggest she stop having kids and offer a free tubal ligation.

You call that coercion? I call that bringing some common sense to a seriously fucked up situation.

Last edited:
Is there a criminal gene now?

There is a criminal CULTURE...and please do not deny that, it would make you look incredibly stupid.

There have always been cultures considered outside the law or outside the norm. It's offering sterilization that picques me.

What good could that possibly do? Do you think criminality is hereditary?

Most of these "criminals" are locked up for victimless crimes. 1 in 97 Americans behind bars right?

Forum List

Back