State Takes Legal Action to Seize $135K From Bakers Who Refused to Make Cake for Lesbian Couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, not gonna work. Sorry, you are required to obey the law in this case. So sad, for your kind...

So what would they do to keep me from burning it all to the ground, so nothing of value remains?

Given the knowledge that I couldn't sell it, everything of value would be destroyed. House, car, business, all other property of value. Bank accounts emptied (not that there's much there). Better that ut all go away than to the Government or the Freaks.

Its very easy to stop that. :) Its called paying for and getting license to become private club. Therefore you CAN or CAN NOT issue memberships to people you want to be members :) Very simple.Very legal.

Not quite that easy.

To be exempt from Public Accommodation laws, being a "private membership" business does not normally exempt one from Pubic Accommodation laws.

Interpretation of similar statutes have considered the following factors in making that determination:

"1. the genuine selectivity of the group in the admission of its members;

2. the membership's control over the operations of the establishment;

3 .the history of the organization;

4. the use of the facilities by nonmembers;

5. the purpose of the club's existence;

6. whether the club advertises for members;

7. whether the club is profit or nonprofit; and

8. the formalities observed by the club (e.g. bylaws, meetings, membership cards, etc.)."​

Pertaining to #6, formation of "the club" specifically to evade Public Accommodation laws in a for profit business is not cause for exemption from Pubic Accommodation. Is there an question that Costco, Sam's Warehouse, and BJ's Warehouse are subject to Public Accommodation laws even though you have to be a "member" to shop there?

http://www.cmaa.org/uploadedFiles/PCS/MayJune02legal.pdf

Anti-Discrimination Laws Applicable to Private Clubs or Not?

>>>>

Yep, not gonna work. Sorry, you are required to obey the law in this case. So sad, for your kind...

So what would they do to keep me from burning it all to the ground, so nothing of value remains?

Given the knowledge that I couldn't sell it, everything of value would be destroyed. House, car, business, all other property of value. Bank accounts emptied (not that there's much there). Better that ut all go away than to the Government or the Freaks.

You still owe the debt

Plan on never working the rest of your life?

really? can you give us an example?

Everyone knows Communists/Progressives are obsessed with hating Christians. They've done everything they could to destroy the faith. This is especially true in Western Europe. Now the Churches sit empty while the Mosques are filled to capacity.

The American Left is conducting the same 'War on Christians' here. Americans are just gonna have to stand up for their religious freedoms and practices. They have no choice at this point.
everyone knows it. you can't give an example, but everyone knows it's happening.

Yes we know, ALL HAIL 'PISS CHRIST!'

pisschrist_extendo_by_erevis.jpg
ah yes. the nearly 30 year old photograph that is 'proof' of this contemporary, omnipresent 'war on christianity'

Communists/Progressives hate Christians. That's common knowledge. Just because you don't acknowledge that fact, doesn't mean it isn't so.
keep saying it. that'll make it true.

It's a sign the government has slipped into tyranny when they force people to be accepting of politically aggressive deviant lifestyles. We shouldn't need a religious reason to turn down business we find repulsive.

Even under bible law they are frauds . If they follow the bible they wouldn't bake cakes for divorced people , people living in sin, couples having premarital sex . I'm sure that's all fine . But they gays!!! Now they suddenly find religion ? Fakes !

Even under bible law they are frauds . If they follow the bible they wouldn't bake cakes for divorced people , people living in sin, couples having premarital sex . I'm sure that's all fine . But they gays!!! Now they suddenly find religion ? Fakes !

Religious beliefs and practices have to be respected as well. It's not only about Gay Rights. Others' rights have to be respected too.

And some here the country is going in the right direction... The owners did nothing wrong.

Only a fool would side with such a frivolous lawsuit.

The State of Oregon clearly disagrees. And in a contest of legality between you and the State of Oregon on Oregon law, Oregon has a distinct advantage.

Creating a wedding cake is not like ordering napkins. It's special. It requires a great deal of collaboration. It is a creative process. I believe that in a free society an artist should be free to accept or deny a commission for any reason. Should all creative artists be dragooned to the needs of the state?

PS - At the time the lesbians requested the cake, same sex marriage was not legal in Oregon.

Religious beliefs and practices have to be respected as well. It's not only about Gay Rights. Others' rights have to be respected too.

So if someone didn't believe in serving Christians because of their religion.....or blacks......or jews.....you're cool with that?

There is no bible law unless you are talking about Mosaic Laws for orthodox Jews, but none of them follow it these days. Muslims, not so much.

Divorce isn't considered a sin in the NT, very discouraged but not a sin. You can make the argument remarriage is though. But then you are telling bakers to do a background check on cake orderers. It isn't like buying a gun. The gays could simply go to where they are welcomed instead of forcing someone to make them food against their will. But where's the fun in that?

So if someone didn't believe in serving Christians because of their religion.....or blacks......or jews.....you're cool with that?

According to their religious beliefs, they couldn't support homosexuality and marriage. They shouldn't have been forced to make them their cake. That's just wrong. We have to respect religious rights and beliefs as well.

According to their religious beliefs, they couldn't support homosexuality and marriage. They shouldn't have been forced to make them their cake. That's just wrong. We have to respect religious rights and beliefs as well.

Notice you didn't actually answer my question. If their religious beliefs mandated that they refuse service to blacks...or Christians....or jews.....you'd be fine with that?

If so, what laws couldn't you ignore because of your religious beliefs?

religion is gloriously subjective. It means....whatever you think it means. And if your religious beliefs justify you summarily ignoring any law that you decide violates them, then you have a religious "Sovereign Citizen" argument. Where all laws are voluntary, as you decide through the lens of religion if any given law applies to you.

I feel a religious objection to speeding laws coming on.

Notice you didn't actually answer my question. If their religious beliefs mandated that they refuse service to blacks...or Christians....or jews.....you'd be fine with that?

If so, what laws couldn't you ignore because of your religious beliefs?

We'll see when the time comes. But these particular people should not have been punished for their religious beliefs. It's wrong.

"State Takes Legal Action to Seize $135K From Bakers Who Refused to Make Cake for Lesbian Couple"

And appropriately so.

Public accommodations laws are necessary, proper, and Constitutional – as authorized by the Commerce Clause.

The bakers were afforded their comprehensive due process:

“Our agency has docketed the judgment and is exploring collection options,” Charlie Burr, communications director for the agency, told The Daily Signal. “They are entitled to a full and fair review of the case, but do not have the right to disregard a legally binding order.”

Correct.

No one has the right to defy, ignore, or disregard a lawful court order, regardless how much they might disagree with it.

Moreover, as a fact of law, the judgment is not 'extortion,' the bakers are not 'victims,' nor is their religious liberty in any manner being 'violated' – it is a lie to maintain otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back