Stephen Hawking Says 'there Is No God,' Confirms He's An Atheist

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Stephen Hawking says he's an atheist, arguing that science offers a "more convincing explanation" for the origins of the universe and that the miracles of religion "aren't compatible" with scientific fact.

"Before we understood science, it was natural to believe that God created the universe, but now science offers a more convincing explanation," the celebrated physicist said in a video posted by Spanish newspaper El Mundo. "What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is we would know everything that God would know if there was a God, but there isn't. I'm an atheist."

Hawking's remarks came in response to a question from El Mundo journalist Pablo Jauregui, who quizzed Hawking about his religious leanings in the lead-up to this week's Starmus Festival in the Canary Islands. The "mind of God" reference was Hawking's effort to clarify a passage in his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," in which he wrote that scientists would "know the mind of God" if a unifying set of scientific principles known colloquially as the theory of everything were discovered.

As NBC News reported, this isn't the first time Hawking has spoken about his religious beliefs.

In 2011, he told The Guardian that he didn't believe in a heaven or an afterlife, calling it "a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." In 2007, he told the BBC that he was "not religious in the normal sense," adding, "I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."

Stephen Hawking Says There Is No God Confirms He s An Atheist

Well, if the smartest man on the planet says so - that's good enough for me.

If he read the bible and decided it was all false and there is no God because snakes cant talk, the dead don't come out of their graves, people don't float up into the sky, and the universe or solar system was not created in six days without realizing that a talking snake and every other 'miraculous' event in scripture is indicative of a children's story and the authors employed well known literary techniques of figurative expression, metaphors, allegories, homonyms, hyperbole, etc., that convey a sublime teaching specifically designed to educate bronze age children that he himself has not be able to grasp, he really can't be that smart.

If he can't discern the truths conveyed in a collection of children's stories, and has taken refuge in the fact that science has proven false what scripture is not about, how can he possibly be capable of discerning whether God exists or not?

Last edited:
I was an Atheist long before I ever knew Hawking was one.

Thats probably a good thing.

I listen to what people of many faiths have had to say about God and I too do not believe, but I don't see how a lot of confused people who make silly claims about God is proof that there is no God.

I see that the impenetrable confusion of these very same people who openly perjure themselves in Gods name in direct contradiction of what is written about God, is verifiable evidence of divine condemnation referred to in scripture as the death consequent to sin..

Try to learn the hidden meaning of things, learn the lessons of the past and see how it applies to the hidden meaning of what is actually taking place.

If anyone sets out to discover the truth of something and puts together an experiment they first have to clean and sterilize all of the equipment and calibrate all of the instruments involved because any contamination or malfunction would render the results false.

The mind is the most important instrument of all.

Purify your mind and you will perceive God.

I think all religions are bullshit conjured up by superstitious old goat/sheepherders. However, Buddhism seems to make more practical common sense than the others.

Hawking will find out if there is a God when Hawking dies, just like all the rest of us.

Stephen Hawking says he's an atheist, arguing that science offers a "more convincing explanation" for the origins of the universe and that the miracles of religion "aren't compatible" with scientific fact.

"Before we understood science, it was natural to believe that God created the universe, but now science offers a more convincing explanation," the celebrated physicist said in a video posted by Spanish newspaper El Mundo. "What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is we would know everything that God would know if there was a God, but there isn't. I'm an atheist."

Hawking's remarks came in response to a question from El Mundo journalist Pablo Jauregui, who quizzed Hawking about his religious leanings in the lead-up to this week's Starmus Festival in the Canary Islands. The "mind of God" reference was Hawking's effort to clarify a passage in his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," in which he wrote that scientists would "know the mind of God" if a unifying set of scientific principles known colloquially as the theory of everything were discovered.

As NBC News reported, this isn't the first time Hawking has spoken about his religious beliefs.

In 2011, he told The Guardian that he didn't believe in a heaven or an afterlife, calling it "a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." In 2007, he told the BBC that he was "not religious in the normal sense," adding, "I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."

Stephen Hawking Says There Is No God Confirms He s An Atheist

he is the smartest guy?....geezus.....

I think all religions are bullshit conjured up by superstitious old goat/sheepherders. However, Buddhism seems to make more practical common sense than the others.

To me Buddhism makes about as much practical sense as Catholicism.

If you can get an entire population to embrace poverty and suffering as a virtue they are not likely to complain about any injustice, neither are they likely to challenge any corruption within the ruling political or religious establishment for whom religion is only a mask..

Last edited:
What would the lefties do if Hawking suddenly changed his mind, had a spiritual awakening, and said he saw God? They would turn on him like a Pit Bull with rabies.

Hawking will find out if there is a God when Hawking dies, just like all the rest of us.
And what if the God is Loki, which means 99.99% of all humans that were/are religious were praying to the wrong God.
Ask Hawking to let you know if God is Loki. Since some consider Hawking to be 'the smartest guy' he should be able to find some way of getting a message back to you Maybe Hawking could send the message with Thor

And what if the God is Loki, which means 99.99% of all humans that were/are religious were praying to the wrong God.
Ask Hawking to let you know if God is Loki. Since some consider Hawking to be 'the smartest guy' he should be able to find some way of getting a message back to you Maybe Hawking could send the message with Thor
Hawking is an atheist which means your question is redundant. I think Hawkings is pretty smart,dont you?

Hawking is an atheist which means your question is redundant. I think Hawkings is pretty smart,dont you?

Forum List

Back