Stevens is senile.

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Gun Control and the Constitution: Should We Amend the Second Amendment? - Businessweek

The entire intent of the second was to ensure ALL able bodied men could arm themselves in defense of the nation, not just the select militia. This is very important in the context of reality. The Government only recognizes the National Guard as the ready Militia. And few States maintain a separate militia of their own.

How ever under current law even Stevens proposed amendment change would do little as under current law the Unformed Militia is all able bodied men age 17 to 46. So even his change would not disarm the people he intends it to.

All it would do is allow the disarmament of the older population most in need of firearms as they become unable to physically defend themselves.

"Half a dozen stimulating ideas for altering the Constitution"? Did they say "stimulating"? FDR tried to stack the Supreme Court with fools like Stevens and what we are left with is the legacy of a former KKK member who's majority opinion is the basis for today's bogus "separation of church and state" opinion. God help us if they get hold of the rest of the Bill of Rights.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the militia shall not be infringed.

The man's far from senile. That is brilliant.

Want to carry? Join the guard, go through extensive psychological and armament training, serve...say, three months of the year in (insert hotspot here), or walk the borders guarding them. Nobody over the age of 18, male or female, would be exempt.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the militia shall not be infringed.

Want to carry? Join the guard, go through extensive psychological and armament training, serve...say, three months of the year in (insert hotspot here), or walk the borders guarding them. Nobody over the age of 18, male or female, would be exempt.

Brilliant? You gotta be kidding. A liberal tenth grader could have made that one up. The problem for Stevens is that he is pretty full of himself and apparently became tired of interpreting the Constitution so he figured he was entitled to rewrite it. Crackpots like him come and go every day.

Gun Control and the Constitution: Should We Amend the Second Amendment? - Businessweek

The entire intent of the second was to ensure ALL able bodied men could arm themselves in defense of the nation, not just the select militia. This is very important in the context of reality. The Government only recognizes the National Guard as the ready Militia. And few States maintain a separate militia of their own.

How ever under current law even Stevens proposed amendment change would do little as under current law the Unformed Militia is all able bodied men age 17 to 46. So even his change would not disarm the people he intends it to.

All it would do is allow the disarmament of the older population most in need of firearms as they become unable to physically defend themselves.

As the primary victims of young black thugs are the older population, it is very important to the left that older people have no means with which to defend themselves.

Absolutely batshit crazy.

First of all, losing my rights to bear arms because I am 54 is ridiculous.

Second of all, requiring every hunter to walk borders or serve overseas in various hotspots is nuts.

And the fact that all of this would be under the strict control of the gov't defeats one of the purposes of the 2nd Amendment anyway.

I realize you are illiterate and so do not know the meaning of the 2nd, but several prominent English Professors have stated for the record that the sentence as designed specifically states that the people have the right and that the clause about Militias is just one of any of a number of reasons for the right.

As for your ignorant rant on militias I suggest you read US law, EVERY able body man age 17 to 46 is a member of the Militia.

swiss boys and girls ride their bikes with rifles on theirbacks. Swirtzerland has more 300 yd ranges than any other country.
obviously it's not the guns it's the morons that own em

There was no National Guard when the amendment was written. Ergo the Founders had something else in mind.
Stevens isn't senile. But he is the model of an activist liberal intent on suppressing liberties for the people.
I couldnt find what the other 5 amendments were. Any help?

"Half a dozen stimulating ideas for altering the Constitution"? Did they say "stimulating"? FDR tried to stack the Supreme Court with fools like Stevens and what we are left with is the legacy of a former KKK member who's majority opinion is the basis for today's bogus "separation of church and state" opinion. God help us if they get hold of the rest of the Bill of Rights.
Judges can be impeached...hard to do for sure but it can be done.

So...you want the people who need to protect themselves the MOST disarmed, then? I know several people who didn't serve for medical reasons. (With two bad knees, I'm one of them.) My wife's best friend couldn't have served because she's too short. The same is true for my mother. My grandmother couldn't serve, because her husband did. My uncle did, though technically, he shouldn't have. (He failed his first physical, but memorized the eye chart for his second.)

Just admit it: you want guns to be limited to the police and the criminals.

Forum List

Back