still dying on Mt Everest

People who climb Mt. Everest are just plain stupid. I climbed to the bottom of Grand Canyon and back out and the Grand Canyon is on a killing spree as I write.

Well either one does a quick death there or a slow death in the godforsaken rat race here. Same end result.

Make stupid choices. I already know my sea-level ass would probably explode up that high, so fuck that!

You don't have to get anywhere near that high up to suffer from altitude sickness if you're out of shape/unprepared/naturally susceptible.

.....in the book Into Thin Air, the head of the guide company offered one of the men who died--- on his second try--- a discount because he did not make it the first time-----------both died
[ if I recall correctly ]

Thank-you harmonica. As I was reading through the posts I was tying to recall the name of that particular book which I read many years ago. .

.....in the book Into Thin Air, the head of the guide company offered one of the men who died--- on his second try--- a discount because he did not make it the first time-----------both died
[ if I recall correctly ]

Thank-you harmonica. As I was reading through the posts I was tying to recall the name of that particular book which I read many years ago. .
yes, it is very well written ..I recommend it to all ..Into Thin Air

I have been fascinated with the Mt Everest climb for years...probably because, honestly, I'm terrified of heights, so I don't understand what drives people to do it, but find it interesting. Read the Krakauer book and like harmonica, highly recommended.

When you get into the death zone you have only a certain amount of hours to summit and get out because you are dying up there. Even with oxygen, your body is shutting down. Seeing that line...horrifying.

Make stupid choices. I already know my sea-level ass would probably explode up that high, so fuck that!

You don't have to get anywhere near that high up to suffer from altitude sickness if you're out of shape/unprepared/naturally susceptible.

Base camp is 17,600 feet. I repeat: BASE CAMP is 17,600 feet. When people get back from the summit they feel like this is oxygen-rich air. !!!!

On the other hand, my neighbor started hallucinating in the Rockies at about 12,000 feet. Ascended too fast, and we are flatlanders.

What does it matter?

All these people made their own choices and paid their money to go.

What does it matter?

I believe some Sherpas have died attempting to rescue them, not to mention the cost of the rescues themselves....notably Beck Weathers, rescued by helicopter.

It's one thing to put your own life in danger, knowingly, but another expecting others to put theirs in danger rescuing you.

What does it matter?

I believe some Sherpas have died attempting to rescue them, not to mention the cost of the rescues themselves....notably Beck Weathers, rescued by helicopter.

It's one thing to put your own life in danger, knowingly, but another expecting others to put theirs in danger rescuing you.

The Sherpas are also making their own choice to be there. They want the money the climbers bring.

As far as search and rescue that's the government's responsibility and I do think that there should be no rescue attempts in the death zone unless the climber either pays a very large deposit or has some kind of insurance to cover the costs

I have been fascinated with the Mt Everest climb for years...probably because, honestly, I'm terrified of heights, so I don't understand what drives people to do it, but find it interesting. Read the Krakauer book and like harmonica, highly recommended.

When you get into the death zone you have only a certain amount of hours to summit and get out because you are dying up there. Even with oxygen, your body is shutting down. Seeing that line...horrifying.
....thanks for pointing out the oxygen deal.....yes, the body --and mind!! --is taking a ''beating'' for days/weeks trying to acclimate and climb --not just the hours from Camp 4 to the top
...Scott Fischer was an extremely strong, experienced guide on the 1996 expedition and for those who did not read the book, they say he might have been suffering from problems concerning oxygen deprivation of ascending and descending Everest so many times

Forum List

Back