still dying on Mt Everest

These self absorbed idiots are conquerors of nothing but a sense of false achievment.
I would be far more impressed if they carried in their own gear and packed their damn garbage out like I am expected to when visiting and camping in our natural areas.
Everest is basically a landfill.

These self absorbed idiots are conquerors of nothing but a sense false achievment.
I would be far more impressed if they carried in their own gear and packed their damn garbage out like I am expected to when visiting and camping in our natural areas.
yes, the Sherpas carry the extra oxygen bottles/ food/ ropes/etc
if not for the Sherpas, most would not make it

These self absorbed idiots are conquerors of nothing but a sense false achievment.
That and the sheer amount of trash left behind. Tons of debris.
There's Way Too Much Trash on Mt. Everest

That and the sheer amount of trash left behind. Tons of debris.
There's Way Too Much Trash on Mt. Everest
that's disgusting
it's like leaving all kind of trash at Yosemite

It's getting ridiculous on Everest. Once you get above 8000 meters and into the "death zone", you obviously need supplemental oxygen. That's no problem as long as you can keep moving to the summit, and head straight back down.
The problem today, they get these traffic jams on the ropes, and climbers are forced to wait sometimes several hours, for other climbers to summit and descend.
Many end up running out of oxygen due to the wait time and end up becoming oxygen starved. If they don't get dragged back down the mountain to a safe altitude, they die.

Anyone ever read the story about "Green Boots" ? This guy has been on the mountain since 1996.

1024px-Green_Boots.jpg

The Sherpas should set up an oxygen bar at the top.......

My favorite Mt. Everest death was that woman vegan eating-disorder-sicko who was determined to prove that a vegan can climb it......she ended up dying less than halfway up through the climb. I look at Mt. Everest climbing as pure Natural Selection.

Apparently if the weather holds up the climb isn't terribly difficult with Sherpas guiding the way and stainless steel ladders set up. The problem of course is altitude sickness which can kill seemingly without warning.

These self absorbed idiots are conquerors of nothing but a sense of false achievment.
Yep, I used to think it was environmentalist/conservationist types that wanted to conquer it and would want to be sure to keep it pristine. Obviously not.

If you haven't read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer you must read it...

It's getting ridiculous on Everest. Once you get above 8000 meters and into the "death zone", you obviously need supplemental oxygen. That's no problem as long as you can keep moving to the summit, and head straight back down.
The problem today, they get these traffic jams on the ropes, and climbers are forced to wait sometimes several hours, for other climbers to summit and descend.
Many end up running out of oxygen due to the wait time and end up becoming oxygen starved. If they don't get dragged back down the mountain to a safe altitude, they die.

Anyone ever read the story about "Green Boots" ? This guy has been on the mountain since 1996.

1024px-Green_Boots.jpg
Is this proof that no black person ever made the climb? Those boots would have been stolen if they had.
It's always appreciated when CRCs show us exactly what they are like.

If you haven't read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer you must read it...

Ok, that’s been mentioned above 20 times now, so I think they’ve got it.
So what?....it got mentioned again...live with it....

We get it, you read a book once. Congratulations.
Hey genius!...why you care so much is a wonder...but to inform you of something that has flown over your ability to think is the fact that not everyone reads every page of a thread...so posting something I feel would be beneficial to interested people on the latest page is welcomed by some....

Apparently if the weather holds up the climb isn't terribly difficult with Sherpas guiding the way and stainless steel ladders set up. The problem of course is altitude sickness which can kill seemingly without warning.
it's not easy...but, yes, the sickness seems to be the major problem as the 2 top guides died in 1996.....one stayed with a client who could not make it...the other was having ''mental''/thinking problems going up.....he had been up and down a lot --more so than others--they believe altitude sickness was the cause
....very cold/bulky clothing/oxygen bottles/acclimation/up-up-up--rough terrain/uneven terrain--not flat ''paths''
....not running but placing a foot up and pushing with one leg is very demanding on muscles= needing more oxygen
.....maybe someone can confirm, but was it Krakauer or who asked someone to turn his oxygen up, but they turned it down = less oxygen and he started to get ''dizzy''..?

Forum List

Back