Stock market goes up 10% in one week

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Wall Street closed higher for the fourth consecutive day on Friday, capping its best week since November, and one that gave investors a break from a relentless streak of declines.

The market shot up in one week as it might in some years, with major indicators chalking up gains of about 10 percent.

Friday’s gains were modest compared with the rallies on Tuesday and Thursday, but investors welcomed the market’s ability to hold its ground. Several recent rallies have ended with disappointing sell-offs.

The Dow Jones industrial average closed 53.92 points higher to finish the week at 7,223.98, and the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index rose 5.81 points, to 756.55. The technology-heavy Nasdaq index was 5.4 points higher at 1,431.50.

For the week, the Dow finished up more than 9 percent while the S&P 500 ended 10.7 percent higher, largely on the back of rallies on Tuesday and Thursday. A closely watched gauge of market volatility dropped for the week.

Stock market makes it a four-in-a-row win streak | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Last edited:
Let's hope it's a trend that will lead us to economic recovery.

I really, really hope this isn't a dead cat bounce. There's indicators it's based on a real stability in the market. Hopefully, this general trend will continue, and slowly we'll start to climb back to eight and nine thousand.

Now we need to focus on rebuilding the economy with a stronger foundation. And putting the people who caused this collapse in jail as an example to future would-be financial criminals.

Wall Street closed higher for the fourth consecutive day on Friday, capping its best week since November, and one that gave investors a break from a relentless streak of declines.

The market shot up in one week as it might in some years, with major indicators chalking up gains of about 10 percent.

Friday’s gains were modest compared with the rallies on Tuesday and Thursday, but investors welcomed the market’s ability to hold its ground. Several recent rallies have ended with disappointing sell-offs.

The Dow Jones industrial average closed 53.92 points higher to finish the week at 7,223.98, and the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index rose 5.81 points, to 756.55. The technology-heavy Nasdaq index was 5.4 points higher at 1,431.50.

For the week, the Dow finished up more than 9 percent while the S&P 500 ended 10.7 percent higher, largely on the back of rallies on Tuesday and Thursday. A closely watched gauge of market volatility dropped for the week.

Stock market makes it a four-in-a-row win streak | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
figures a moron like you would be bragging about this minor blip
i hope its a sign that things will rebound in spite of the crap Obama and the dem morons in congress have done

i hope its a sign that things will rebound in spite of the crap Obama and the dem morons in congress have done

Typical. Obama is responsible for the market going down, but the market going up happens in spite of him. Even when the market starts going up shortly after the stimulus bill is completed.
Are there any conditions under which you would accept that President Obama has been good for America? Is there any result that would make you accept it?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

$v2008-09.gif

When the good people that have lost their jobs start getting decent paying jobs again, then I will say that a recovery has started. Nothing else is acceptable as a measure of the success of the economy.

When the good people that have lost their jobs start getting decent paying jobs again, then I will say that a recovery has started. Nothing else is acceptable as a measure of the success of the economy.

The stock market is not an indication of the main market. JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Citibank are only able to make profit by cutting costs and tens of thousands of jobs. When those companies can make profit when they've re-hired people, then we'll see some sign of an economic recovery.

WOO HOO! The DOW hit 7200!

And that the Dow was at 12000 in November of 2006 when the Democrats promised to save us from Bush's economic FAILURE is wholly IRRELEVANT! The point here is that THE MARKET IS UP... (finally...)

Great post Chris. I bought 1000 shares of GM, week before last... so I gleefully share your enthusiasm.

Sadly, the policies being advanced by the Lord of the Idiots will saddle the means of those companies to grow, thus reduce the potential for the capital value of those companies to increase... but there's no better time to get in than when the market is DOWN! So we'll celebrate the gains together little lady... as we watch the market's inevitable rise back to where it was before the the effects of leftism began to demonstrate it's customary corrosive results.

Last edited:
I've found I enjoy the forum more when I just skip over his posts. It's not like they ever say anything unexpected.

Bear market rally. That's all it is. We'll be hovering around 7000 for a while.
thats pretty much what I think
but i hope we're both wrong
but i dont believe we are
this was just a few people taking advantage of some bargains

Typical. Obama is responsible for the market going down, but the market going up happens in spite of him. Even when the market starts going up shortly after the stimulus bill is completed.
Are there any conditions under which you would accept that President Obama has been good for America? Is there any result that would make you accept it?
no, a 4 day blip is just a blip
when you know what the economic policies will do, you might begin to understand that Obama is not business friendly

Forum List

Back