Why I carry a handgun, 2024

Interesting. What do you tell them to do when they faced an armed attacker?

I tell them not to be stupid. More importantly, I tell them how to avoid finding themselves "faced with an armed attacker." Beyond THAT it's a long story.

And this is a perfect example of why people don't take anti-gunners seriously. Tell us from the ICU how it goes the next time you tell an elderly southern lady you disrespect her carrying a weapon.

"Southern"? What would "southern" have to do with it?

I tell them not to be stupid. More importantly, I tell them how to avoid finding themselves "faced with an armed attacker." Beyond THAT it's a long story.
I'm sure that helps a lot, and it's cool that people have a choice. Like me, they may not want to be armed themselves, but appreciate the fact that there are friends with guns around them most of the time.

Last edited:
She's likely to be shot and her gun stolen.
Not so much if she knows what she's doing with it. You can come up with all kinds of scenarios (what if she carries it in a holster on her left side and the attacker comes up to her from behind and uses traffic noise to distract her while he uses a knife to cut the strap holding the gun in and super glue to lift her gun from her holster, then walks 10 feet away from her before ordering her to stop, get on her knees and give him her purse) in which she might not be able to use a firearm, but there are more scenarios in which she can (she knows there is a dark alley between her and her house, so she puts her hand on her weapon as she walks past it and is ready should someone approach her).

Not so much if she knows what she's doing with it. You can come up with all kinds of scenarios (what if she carries it in a holster on her left side and the attacker comes up to her from behind and uses traffic noise to distract her while he uses a knife to cut the strap holding the gun in and super glue to lift her gun from her holster, then walks 10 feet away from her before ordering her to stop, get on her knees and give him her purse) in which she might not be able to use a firearm, but there are more scenarios in which she can (she knows there is a dark alley between her and her house, so she puts her hand on her weapon as she walks past it and is ready should someone approach her).
How many times does an attacker give the victim sufficient notice that they're going to be mugged? I need to find that link on the forum that may give some stats for this thread. One moment please.

How many times does an attacker give the victim sufficient notice that they're going to be mugged? I need to find that link on the forum that may give some stats for this thread. One moment please.
Well, the other poster says that he trains people in situational awareness, which everyone can put to good use, whether they have a gun or not. That would mean that you are aware of your surroundings and are a lot less likely to be surprised by an attacker. A wise person with a gun that sees a potentially bad situation unfolding doesn't have to use the gun, he/she can walk away before it happens. A gun is just useful when escape is impossible for whatever reason, and only a tool to be used when other means don't work.

Well, the other poster says that he trains people in situational awareness, which everyone can put to good use, whether they have a gun or not. That would mean that you are aware of your surroundings and are a lot less likely to be surprised by an attacker.
Not sure how an old woman would cope with such training, probably takes them best part of a morning to make a cup of tea.

The psychology behind guns is, if you feel small, or weak, or underachieving, then you want to own a gun to give you the feeling of power over other people. Paranoia, anger, and insecurity gives the person social anxiety and owning a gun is a quick and simple solution, but they're the most unsuitable person behind a firearm. It creates a shoot first, ask questions later scenario

The above is the psychology community's thoughts on the issue.

Not sure how an old woman would cope with such training, probably takes them best part of a morning to make a cup of tea.
Ask him. I'm sure that everyone, regardless of age, can benefit from situational awareness training.
The psychology behind guns is, if you feel small, or weak, or underachieving, then you want to own a gun to give you the feeling of power over other people. Paranoia, anger, and insecurity gives the person social anxiety and owning a gun is a quick and simple solution, but they're the most unsuitable person behind a firearm. It creates a shoot first, ask questions later scenario

The above is the psychology community's thoughts on the issue.
Which is obviously written by people who don't own and use guns, nor have been exposed to a threat from someone else. Let's put it this way, who is doing most of the shooting and killing? Not little old ladies carrying handguns so they can walk past alleys on the way home from the store. If what they were worried about is true, the numbers would be different.

hadit

Here's the useful link on gun stats -

It was in this thread -

PS - I don't read multi-quotes replies and I don't respond to them

If it makes society safer owning and walking around with guns, and there's 120.48 guns per person, with Canada next at 34.7, then why does America top the death by guns chart with 4.12 per 100,000 people, with Chile next at 1.82, and every other country below 1%?

Surely with that number of guns, the USA should be bottom of the stats. What's up gun nuts?

hadit

Here's the useful link on gun stats -

It was in this thread -

PS - I don't read multi-quotes replies and I don't respond to them
It's academic when they only look at the most recent years and refuse to take into account societal changes. It is in living memory that kids could take shooting courses in school with live ammo. Likewise, you could order a gun and ammo and have them shipped to your house, no questions asked. You routinely saw guns in racks in pickup trucks, and no one shot up schools and shopping malls. Today, you have to jump through ever increasing numbers of hoops and satisfy ever increasing numbers of bureaucrats before you're allowed to actually have a gun. Carrying in more and more places gets in you in more and more trouble. You have to be ID'd and pass a background check to get a gun, yet we're seeing schools and shopping malls get shot up. What changed? Not the guns.

In fact, the kiss of death is to put up a sign that your business is a gun-free zone. I've challenged anti-gunners to put teeth in their convictions by posting such signs on their houses and putting it on their t-shirts. So far, none have agreed to do it. I wonder why.

If it makes society safer owning and walking around with guns, and there's 120.48 guns per person, with Canada next at 34.7, then why does America top the death by guns chart with 4.12 per 100,000 people, with Chile next at 1.82, and every other country below 1%?

Surely with that number of guns, the USA should be bottom of the stats. What's up gun nuts?
Mental illness is what's up. We're pretending that guns are the problem when we have people suffering from severe mental illnesses not getting the treatment that they need (even incarceration), and ultimately killing others and themselves.

Mental illness is what's up. We're pretending that guns are the problem when we have people suffering from severe mental illnesses not getting the treatment that they need (even incarceration), and ultimately killing others and themselves.
Screenshot_20240709-214000.jpg

Those other 9 countries should be up with your stats then.

I listed story after story of women violently attacked by male criminals and fighting them off…see, that is the importance of guns….even in the middle of a violent attack a smaller, weaker woman can use a gun to stop the attacker, even when the assault begins with a violent punch or even a stabbing…

Don’t worry, now that labor controls your country you will really see what violent crime is like…..I saw a story where they are going to cut current prison sentences in half….

Enjoy your Islamic republic

Forum List

Back