Stocks Take Worst Losses Since 1987

The firing of the 2018 Pandemic Team might raise a red flag to most. You?
I don't see how...since the team in place is doing an awesome job...they have a treatment plan that is knocking this flu right out of people before it can gain strength withing the body....that is a huge development that the world except for TDS morons appreciates very much....

View attachment 312869

Awesome job? Awesome con job maybe
looks like an ordinary day at the airport to me....

Thousands standing in line for hours while there is an out of control virus taking place and doctors are prescribing social distancing.

What it looks like is the blob’s incompetence to everyone else

The buying opportunities created by this virus are starting to look very very appetizing.

You’re nuts! This market hasn’t hit bottom. Whatever you are thinking about buying now that has dropped 20-30% already will be cheaper in the future. There are a few, very few long opportunities right now. The economic effects haven’t even been felt. Wait until some of these highly leveraged companies start filing bankruptcy.

What buying opportunities do you see? Blue Apron? It was up over 50% today.
There are tons of deals out there...look at how low the energy sector is...if you are not researching a purchase or two you are not thinking....
View attachment 312865
I've got blood flow.
Look at Home depot with spring just around the corner....

go for it. I’ll buy it later for less.

The buying opportunities created by this virus are starting to look very very appetizing.

You’re nuts! This market hasn’t hit bottom. Whatever you are thinking about buying now that has dropped 20-30% already will be cheaper in the future. There are a few, very few long opportunities right now. The economic effects haven’t even been felt. Wait until some of these highly leveraged companies start filing bankruptcy.

There are tons of deals out there...look at how low the energy sector is...if you are not researching a purchase or two you are not thinking....

Specifics? Name the stocks you’d go long right now.
Home Depot and Apple are both good individual gambles if you don't like energy stocks....

Home Depot and Apple are both good individual gambles if you don't like energy stocks....

Whatever you pay for them tomorrow, I will buy them for less in the future.

View attachment 312865
I've got blood flow.
Look at Home depot with spring just around the corner....

go for it. I’ll buy it later for less.
I set a low buy in price...when it hits that amount my manager will buy as directed....

Whatever you pay for them tomorrow, I will buy them for less in the future.
When it starts back up it will climb so fast you will lose more than you think you are saving by waiting....

Anyone noticed Dems are celebrating.

I hate to say it as a conservative, but all you Trumpers who we’re giving him kudos for the bloated market have to take your medicine. He didn’t make the market a bubble, the Fed did that, but he sure took credit for it. Dumb, very dumb.

As you know, there was not a bloated market. President Donald Trump made all the changes necessary to employ record numbers and to increase wages.

He started doing the right thing in January when WHO advised AGAINST closing our borders to travelers from the Wuhan area of China.

Progressives must be immensely proud of themselves for wishing pain and suffering for their neighbors. I'm sorry, I can't understand their reasoning.

Published February 1, 2020
China slams Trump's coronavirus travel limits: 'Not a gesture of goodwill'
By Joe McDonald, Sam McNeil | Associated Press
[...]
On Friday, the United States declared a public health emergency and President Donald Trump signed an order barring entry to foreign nationals, other than immediate family of American citizens and permanent residents, who visited China within the last 14 days, which scientists say is the virus’s longest incubation period.

'Unfriendly comments'
China criticized the U.S. controls, which it said contradicted the WHO’s appeal to avoid travel bans, and “unfriendly comments” that Beijing was failing to cooperate.

“Just as the WHO recommended against travel restrictions, the U.S. rushed to go in the opposite way. Certainly not a gesture of goodwill,” said foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying.

WHO Secretary-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in Geneva that despite the emergency declaration, there is “no reason for measures that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade.”
[...]
China slams Trump's coronavirus travel limits: 'Not a gesture of goodwill'

They need to shutdown the stock markets until next Monday.

They likely will in the next couple of days. Honestly, I thought it would be closed today.

Bank holiday is definitely coming.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

They aren't ready to hear about a "bank holiday".
Market circuit breakers which are set by the exchanges help to stabilize a market so when there is major market fall, traders anxious to clear their position do not add to the collapse. For example, if the price of the Standard & Poor 500 index falls 7% from the previous close, trading of all stocks on the two major U.S. stock exchanges – the New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ is suspended for 15 minutes. If it drops an additional 6%, trading halts for another 15 minutes. If the S&P 500 drops a further 7% – for a total drop of 20% then trading ceases for the day.

If the market is closed too long, it can give the signal that American markets are not free of government intervention and that they are unreliable. In general, investors prefer the market is open during major falls so they know at all times the value of their portfolio.

While temporary halts to trading gives market participants time to parse information and make more levelheaded decisions, a shutdown could cause real damage to U.S. investments in the long run if they’re seen as less of a haven to global investors.

How much 'credit' should the fear / panic-fueling media and stock market manipulators get for the plummet?

Wow...you’re an angry little person.

You're the one freaking out and calling for the stock market to be closed. Why?

Because people’s retirement savings are dwindling at no fault to the investors

Not the way it works. We don't get "saved" from losses due to pestilence.

The markets were closed after 9/11 for a week so that is the way it has worked

This isn't 9-11. So no, false equivalence. I'm afraid this will be worse that 2008 and there is no way to stop it.
The administration and fed have used up all the recession stopping big guns, tax cuts, government spending, and interest rate cuts trying to extend the life of an economic expansion that was way overdue for a correction. Now the only thing left is to stop the virus and that's going to take time.

IMHO, you will be witnessing one the greatest stock buying opportunities in our history over the next few months. However, in terms of the DJIA, it could reach down as low as 13,000. It all depends on how soon the market sees an end to the epidemic. I have started buying and will continue as the market falls.

Last edited:
1-42796f46c2.jpg

They need to shutdown the stock markets until next Monday.
That is about the worst thing, they could do.

I'm curious. Why do you say that?
As I said in a previous post, government shutdowns of a free market casts doubts on just how free the market actually is. It removes one primary advantages of free markets, liquidity. It also creates a lot of of anxiety among investors when they have no gauge as to the current value of their investments. Finally, there is no evidence that closing markets have any real effect on the future movements of the market.

The markets were closed after 9/11 for a week so that is the way it has worked

Economics was not the major reason for closing the markets after 9/11. The collapse of those two buildings caused extensive underground damage under the building sites that needed to be cleared and repaired.

It doesn't take me to make trump fail. He is doing a fine job of failing himself.
How?.....I don't see him failing at all...I see him leading and doing everything he can to get us through this....so tell me what failures are you talking about?....

The firing of the 2018 Pandemic Team might raise a red flag to most. You?

The people were not fired, the office of, and the bureaucracy was removed.

Forum List

Back