Stockton University removes bust of Richard Stockton

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Stockton University removes bust of Richard Stockton, who signed the Declaration of Independence
Stockton University has temporarily removed a bust of its namesake, Richard Stockton, from the campus library and is creating a committee to review the university’s racist past.

The hub-ub predominantly stems from the fact that Stockton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was a slaveholder. Stockton University President Harvey Kesselman has made note that controversy about the college’s namesake is not new.

In a letter to the campus community, Stockton Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Lori Vermeulen, explained that the bust will return to campus with an exhibit that will give historical context.

President Kesselman has asked Provost Vermeulen to create a “Richard Stockton Exhibit Committee” that will “thoughtfully and objectively” explore the life Stockton, while contextualizing the historical bust. The forthcoming exhibit will include panel lectures and possibly even a class surrounding the controversial figure.

“We are hopeful that through the development of the Richard Stockton Exhibit we will demonstrate that difficult issues can be dealt with in a way that strengthens and unites us,” Kesselman said in a statement.

Some find the removal and review committee a big to-do about nothing.

“I really never heard anyone make a comment or complaint about Richard Stockton. I do know he was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and otherwise not much is known about him. But I think removing the bust is an overreaction,” said Dylan Perry, a senior at Stockton University.

Read more at Stockton University removes bust of Richard Stockton, who signed the Declaration of Independence

I think its much ado about much. What's next to go bye bye? The declaration itself?

Let the morons put up a statue of Obama and call it Obama university

My bet is they are checking to see if this guy owned slaves cuz someone saw a banana peel nearby the statue and got offended.

In short...if all this shit is not nipped in the bud really fast by ALL parties...its gonna get much much worse.

Let's take down the Jefferson Memorial then. God almighty this is getting stupid, even for Liberals.

Stockton University removes bust of Richard Stockton, who signed the Declaration of Independence
Stockton University has temporarily removed a bust of its namesake, Richard Stockton, from the campus library and is creating a committee to review the university’s racist past.

The hub-ub predominantly stems from the fact that Stockton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was a slaveholder. Stockton University President Harvey Kesselman has made note that controversy about the college’s namesake is not new.

In a letter to the campus community, Stockton Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Lori Vermeulen, explained that the bust will return to campus with an exhibit that will give historical context.

President Kesselman has asked Provost Vermeulen to create a “Richard Stockton Exhibit Committee” that will “thoughtfully and objectively” explore the life Stockton, while contextualizing the historical bust. The forthcoming exhibit will include panel lectures and possibly even a class surrounding the controversial figure.

“We are hopeful that through the development of the Richard Stockton Exhibit we will demonstrate that difficult issues can be dealt with in a way that strengthens and unites us,” Kesselman said in a statement.

“I really never heard anyone make a comment or complaint about Richard Stockton. I do know he was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and otherwise not much is known about him. But I think removing the bust is an overreaction,” said Dylan Perry, a senior at Stockton University.

Read more at Stockton University removes bust of Richard Stockton, who signed the Declaration of Independence

I think its much ado about much. What's next to go bye bye? The declaration itself?

Here's a question.

If "not much is known" about this Richard Stockton ----- then how the fuck does he have a university named after him?

In short...if all this shit is not nipped in the bud really fast by ALL parties...its gonna get much much worse.

If this guy was a signer of the D of I then by linear time he cannot have been a Confederate and it's highly doubtful the Daughters put the bust there since they were all about pushing the Lost Cause. Doesn't seem related to any of that. I see more relevance in the university's examination of "its racist past", whatever that is.

Here's a question.

If "not much is known" about this Richard Stockton ----- then how the fuck does he have a university named after him?
Damn good question! :lol:

Here's a question.

Found an article here from local paper. The question of "slaveowning" seems not at all definite either as a history nor as a reason for relocation. I get the impression they're moving to ensure it doesn't get targeted, and to flesh out that very question above. More knowledge always beats rumor and innuendo.

Destroying Monuments: "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past." George Orwell

Mao used his Cultural Revolution to erase China's past and replaced it with his far left ideology. American Left Wingers are trying to do the same thing.

Destroying Monuments: "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past." George Orwell

That's an extremely pertinent quotation, since that's exactly what all the Lost Cause monuments were put there for --- to commandeer the past and rewrite it. That's exactly why they were placed in public squares and in front of local government buildings -- to make them look "legitimate" so they could do their work as propaganda transmitters.

But none of that applies here -- Richard Stockton died in 1781, the Daughters of the Confederacy didn't put this bust up, and even where it does apply no monuments have been "destroyed" anyway. Which makes your post....

(/offtopic)

Here's a question.

Yanno Gracie, every time I see your avatar in a small version on the list of topics, it just looks like a chocolate-frosted donut. If I gain weight I'm blaming you. :mad:

Here's a question.

Found an article here from local paper. The question of "slaveowning" seems not at all definite either as a history nor as a reason for relocation. I get the impression they're moving to ensure it doesn't get targeted, and to flesh out that very question above. More knowledge always beats rumor and innuendo.
Never stopped "them" before. Oh. Wait. Never mind. You meant sane people.

Here's a question.

Yanno Gracie, every time I see your avatar in a small version on the list of topics, it just looks like a chocolate-frosted donut. If I gain weight I'm blaming you. :mad:
I'm thinking about changing it. Been wearing it too long. I like swapping out often. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Not sure I like it. Looks like I am awaiting the guillotine.

Forum List

Back