Strike for $15.00 an hour, Sub shop fires everybody

Gee, I bought a cup of Chai tea this year, and I bought one about 7 years ago too. Guess I really shouldn't have spent that extra money.

You know it would be a lot cheaper if you'd grow your own tea leaves, or just drank hot water, that way your employer could cut your pay and up their profits.

I also suggest making your own soap, and bathing in the creek. No reason to be so greedy as to want to able to afford such "luxuries" as running hot and cold water and soap.

Well, I do already make my own laundry detergent, no joke.

I have to make a combo blend. Husband with allergies and a lot of grease from the yard.

(trucking) Nice to know someone else out there is pulling a hell in the cell ring doing laundry.

Oh and our water is so freaking hard Palmolive doesn't even bubble up. Now that tells you something.

:lol:

Then why don't you just go to the most expensive places to eat instead of a sub shop?

In all honesty it's cheaper to make your own sandwiches than it is to order out.

That's another of my pet peeves. How many people whining that they don't make enough buy coffee every day at 2-5 dollars a cup when they could fill a thermos up at home for a few cents?

Usually, I do prepare most of my own food, and the only time I go to a Starbucks is when I am meeting a c lient. (It's really not the coffee I'm paying for, it's the WiFi.)

Of course, the fallacy here is that paying a decent wage would really increase prices all that much. A nickel a sandwich? Can't see that being that big of a deal.

Have you done the math?

Can you prove that nickel increase is accurate?

Do you know the overhead cost per minute of that sub shop?

BTW an increase of 5 dollars an hour costs the employer much more than the 200 a week for a full time employee. Payroll taxes unemployment taxes and workman's comp taxes all go up as well. if that employee made 100 sandwiches a week to recoup the increase and break even every sandwich that employee made would have to go up more than 2 dollars each.

Frankly, if you are working in a sub shop and not making at least 100 sandwiches a week, no wonder the place is going out of business.

Code:
Actually, we did read the link.

A guy who owns a shop in downtown Chicago (where the cost of rent is ridiculously high) isn't paying his employees a decent wage.

Now, if you have ever been to downtown Chicago, it's usually a madhouse down there at lunch.

But this guy isn't paying his employees a decent wage in a place where parking for the day costs $30.00 or more.

That's why they went on strike.

They went "on strike" because they bought the party line myth that they are being treated unfairly and that by joining a strike action, they might be able to bully their employer into caving to their demands.

LOL

"minimum wage employees aren't people. Why are they thinking they have rights?"

That's what you keep telling us.

It's been answered before, you just don't listen. A living wage is enough for one person to pay rent on a crappy apartment, all their utilities, their clothes, transportation and medical. I don't think that's too much to ask for the lowest paid worker in the richest country in the world.

Back in 1968 when my brother worked a minimum wage job, he could pay for his own apartment, buy a brand new car and take college classes part time. That can't be done today. Why do you think the top 1% earn more than 200% increase in their income while the bottom workers deserved to lose spending power?

Why should one person rent an entire apartment? Why not a room in a boarding house or why not share an apartment with 3 or 4 people?

The problem as I see it it is that people want to only work 40 hours a week and they think that should make them enough to buy a house a car and put their kids through college.

I guarantee you that anyone who has had any success at all worked a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week.

Because said person deserves to be able to afford their own apartment so that they aren't dependent on a roommate who may or may not stay. You're right, successful people work more than 40 hours a week, however, minimum wage workers have their hours cut back continually, and moved around just to make sure they can't keep 2 jobs.

Have you ever asked yourself why employers often keep minimum wage employees on short hours, less than a full-time work schedule? You don't think that government interference in the employer-employee relationship has even the tiniest bit to do with that?

Then why don't you just go to the most expensive places to eat instead of a sub shop?

In all honesty it's cheaper to make your own sandwiches than it is to order out.

That's another of my pet peeves. How many people whining that they don't make enough buy coffee every day at 2-5 dollars a cup when they could fill a thermos up at home for a few cents?

Usually, I do prepare most of my own food, and the only time I go to a Starbucks is when I am meeting a c lient. (It's really not the coffee I'm paying for, it's the WiFi.)

Of course, the fallacy here is that paying a decent wage would really increase prices all that much. A nickel a sandwich? Can't see that being that big of a deal.

I remember back in the late 70's, early 80's when Pizza Hut said they couldn't provide health insurance for their employees because it would cost them an extra 50 cents a pizza. Well, everyone I knew was willing to pay that extra 50 cents so they could have health insurance, then it comes out they lied and it would only cost a few cents extra for each Pizza. Don't think they ever did get insurance for their employees.

So, Pizza Hut management may have lied? That doesn't seem to much of a problem for lots of progressives in this day and age. They seem to like electing and re-electing the worst, most egregious liars to represent them in public office. Of course, the RINOs are no better. Again, the hypocrisy is almost painful to witness.

Last edited:

Gee, I bought a cup of Chai tea this year, and I bought one about 7 years ago too. Guess I really shouldn't have spent that extra money.

You know it would be a lot cheaper if you'd grow your own tea leaves, or just drank hot water, that way your employer could cut your pay and up their profits.

I also suggest making your own soap, and bathing in the creek. No reason to be so greedy as to want to able to afford such "luxuries" as running hot and cold water and soap.

Ha-ha-ha...I do make my own soap. I also bring water in (sometimes from the creek) because we don't have a well yet. As for hot and cold water, well, chopping wood for the woodstove takes care of the hot water issue. Your suggestion is actually quite good, imagine how much more valuable all these things we take for granted would be if they had to be earned by hard work and sweat equity.

Well, I do already make my own laundry detergent, no joke.

Yeah, I make my laundry detergent, too. I also raise animals for milk and meat, making cheese, yogurt, and kefir. I also grow veggies and herbs for culinary and medicinal use.

[

I remember back in the late 70's, early 80's when Pizza Hut said they couldn't provide health insurance for their employees because it would cost them an extra 50 cents a pizza. Well, everyone I knew was willing to pay that extra 50 cents so they could have health insurance, then it comes out they lied and it would only cost a few cents extra for each Pizza. Don't think they ever did get insurance for their employees.

So, Pizza Hut engagement may have lied? That doesn't seem to much of a problem for lots of progressives in this day and age. They seem to like electing and re-electing the worst, most egregious liars to represent them in public office. Of course, the RINOs are no better. Again, the hypocrisy is almost painful to witness.

Here's the thing. Pizza Hut build custom resturants with those distinctive triangle windows.

You can see them all over the Chicagoland area now. Very few of them are STILL Pizza Huts.

As for politicians telling us the truth. THe last guy who was straight up honest with us was Walter Mondale, who said, "Yes, We WILL Have to raise taxes to cover the deficits."

He lost 49 states in the 1984 election and Reagan went on to raise taxes anyway.

YOu really can't whine about politicians not telling us the truth when you punish them when they do.

Have you done the math?

BTW an increase of 5 dollars an hour costs the employer much more than the 200 a week for a full time employee. Payroll taxes unemployment taxes and workman's comp taxes all go up as well. if that employee made 100 sandwiches a week to recoup the increase and break even every sandwich that employee made would have to go up more than 2 dollars each.

Frankly, if you are working in a sub shop and not making at least 100 sandwiches a week, no wonder the place is going out of business.

Possibly and thank you for providing the best reason to date why the employer should fire all of them ASAP.
Good point Joe.

Have you done the math?

so for your nickel increase to cover the 200 plus dollars a week that one employee would have to make more than 4000 sandwiches a week.

That's just for one employee I don't know too many corner sub shops that make 4000 sandwiches a week. At 5 bucks a sandwich that shop would be pulling in over a million a year on one full time employee.

Like I said you don't bother to do the math you just pick a number out of your ass.

Have you done the math?

so for your nickel increase to cover the 200 plus dollars a week that one employee would have to make more than 4000 sandwiches a week.

That's just for one employee I don't know too many corner sub shops that make 4000 sandwiches a week. At 5 bucks a sandwich that shop would be pulling in over a million a year on one full time employee.

Like I said you don't bother to do the math you just pick a number out of your ass.
Liberals think the right to a job is constitutionally protected.

Have you done the math?

Possibly and thank you for providing the best reason to date why the employer should fire all of them ASAP.
Good point Joe.

Yes, this guy was a pretty shitty businessman, who shouldn't be in business.

Can't run with the big dogs.

Maybe he can move down south and serve sandwiches to Cleetus and Billy-Bob.

Have you done the math?

I still think your math is off. But that's okay, most people would pay an extra nickel.

Or he could try moving his sandwich shop to a place where they don't charge tens of thousands in rent a month...

Of course, the guy should probably give up now, since he now has a reputation as being anti-worker in a Union town.

I still think your math is off. But that's okay, most people would pay an extra nickel.

Or he could try moving his sandwich shop to a place where they don't charge tens of thousands in rent a month...

Of course, the guy should probably give up now, since he now has a reputation as being anti-worker in a Union town.

It's not the nickel it's about recouping the extra expense.

That's the thing you people don't understand.

Tell me what do you think the profit margin on a sandwich is?

It ain't much about a dollar

A subway for example grosses about 400K a year.

Let's make this simple and assume they only sell sandwiches not soda chips or cookies. If the average profit on a sandwich is a buck and the average profit is 80K then this particular shop makes 80,000 subs a year.

or 1538 a week.

Now if you raise the salary of a full time employee by 200 a week and only raise the price of a sandwich by a nickel it would take 4000 sandwiches to get that 200 a week back so the profit margin would remain the same.

That's only for one employee what about the 8 or 9 other part timers the store employs?

http://www.startupnation.com/community/forums/topic/13425/whats-the-average-income-of-a-su

http://www.restaurants.com/blog/how-does-subway-profit-from-the-5-foot-long-deal/

Another lying thread-title from one of our resident right wing propagandists.

With all the problems the Dems really DO cause, one would think that having to make shit up wasn't necessary.

But to the truly stupid lying is always easier than doing your homework.

It's been answered before, you just don't listen. A living wage is enough for one person to pay rent on a crappy apartment, all their utilities, their clothes, transportation and medical. I don't think that's too much to ask for the lowest paid worker in the richest country in the world.

Back in 1968 when my brother worked a minimum wage job, he could pay for his own apartment, buy a brand new car and take college classes part time. That can't be done today. Why do you think the top 1% earn more than 200% increase in their income while the bottom workers deserved to lose spending power?

Why should one person rent an entire apartment? Why not a room in a boarding house or why not share an apartment with 3 or 4 people?

The problem as I see it it is that people want to only work 40 hours a week and they think that should make them enough to buy a house a car and put their kids through college.

I guarantee you that anyone who has had any success at all worked a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week.

Because said person deserves to be able to afford their own apartment so that they aren't dependent on a roommate who may or may not stay. You're right, successful people work more than 40 hours a week, however, minimum wage workers have their hours cut back continually, and moved around just to make sure they can't keep 2 jobs.

Then they need to train and educate themselves for a job that markets their skills that pays enough to pay their rent.
Not my responsibility to pay their rent.
And if their 2nd job is not enough to pay the rent then get a damn 3rd job or a 4th.
NO CRY BABIES

[

Then they need to train and educate themselves for a job that markets their skills that pays enough to pay their rent.
And if their 2nd job is not enough to pay the rent then get a damn 3rd job or a 4th.
NO CRY BABIES

Or we just stop putting up with it and vote in raises.

OOOOPS. there it is.

[

NO CRY BABIES

Or we just stop putting up with it and vote in raises.

OOOOPS. there it is.

Yes vote in raises.

Lets vote in a car, house, vacation, retirement, healthcare, education and a pony on a sandwich makers earnings.

Forum List

Back