Strong Job Growth Data Eases Concerns After Winter Dip in Economy

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011

Blunting worries about the American economy’s momentum after a stretch of lackluster growth this year, the government reported on Friday that employers added a hefty 280,000 jobs in May, well above the average monthly totals logged over the last year.

At the same time, hourly wages rose 0.3 percent last month, finally providing workers with some long-awaited gains.

“This is a confirmation that the economy is performing well and the first quarter was an aberration,” said Carl Tannenbaum, chief economist at Northern Trust.

U.S. Adds 280 000 Jobs in May Jobless Rate Ticks Up to 5.5 - WSJ

The unemployment rate, which is obtained from a separate survey of U.S. households, was 5.5% in May, up slightly from 5.4% the prior month. But the increase was for good reason: more people were looking for work last month, suggesting Americans are more confident about their job prospects.

Revisions showed employers added 32,000 more jobs in March and April than previously estimated.

The Labor Force Participation Rate has remained steady for over a year now. The 15 year decline which started long before Obama has been halted:
Since April 2014, the participation rate has remained within a narrow range of 62.7 percent to 62.9 percent

But the number of discouraged workers—people who were not looking for work because they believed no jobs were available for them—dropped sharply compared with a year ago, to 563,000 from 697,000 in May 2014.

23j06iu.jpg

B-b-but...but...BENGHAZI!!!

Gesundheit.

Last edited:
Employment is a lagging indicator. I keep having to repeat that because the libtards just dont understand what that means.
Productivity is lagging, which means wages will likely stagnate. With incipient inflation the Fed will need to raise rates. Hello, recession.

Employment is a lagging indicator. I keep having to repeat that because the libtards just dont understand what that means.
Productivity is lagging, which means wages will likely stagnate. With incipient inflation the Fed will need to raise rates. Hello, recession.
Yes, jobs are a lagging indicator. They are always the last thing to recover. This is something which has had to be explained to your side of the table many times.

You are the one who does not seem to understand that. They are not a leading indicator we are heading for a recession.

And actually, if you had bothered to...you know... READ my post, wages are increasing, not stagnating.

It is always amusing to see the red partisans work so hard to make a lot of job creation sound like a bad thing.

Moar peeplez got jobz oh noes! Lemme tell you why thaz bad. I know therez a turd in this ice cream somewheres!

Yes, jobs are a lagging indicator. They are always the last thing to recover. This is something which has had to be explained to your side of the table many times.

You are the one who does not seem to understand that. They are not a leading indicator we are heading for a recession.

And actually, if you had bothered to...you know... READ my post, wages are increasing, not stagnating.
You are right. The strong jobs numbers do not indicate a looming recession. Slowing earnings growth and stagnating economic activity indicate a looming recession.
Glad you agree with me. Happy to school you here.

The ISM manufacturing index is a leading economic indicator: ISM manufacturing index hits 52.8 in May construction spending up 2.2 in April

U.S. construction spending surged in April to the highest level in nearly 6-1/2 years as outlays increased broadly, pointing to some pockets of strength in the economy.

The report adds to business spending plans, employment and housing data in suggesting some momentum in the economy early in the second quarter even as consumer spending and industrial production have been soft.

Blunting worries about the American economy’s momentum after a stretch of lackluster growth this year, the government reported on Friday that employers added a hefty 280,000 jobs in May, well above the average monthly totals logged over the last year.

At the same time, hourly wages rose 0.3 percent last month, finally providing workers with some long-awaited gains.

“This is a confirmation that the economy is performing well and the first quarter was an aberration,” said Carl Tannenbaum, chief economist at Northern Trust.

The unemployment rate, which is obtained from a separate survey of U.S. households, was 5.5% in May, up slightly from 5.4% the prior month. But the increase was for good reason: more people were looking for work last month, suggesting Americans are more confident about their job prospects.

Revisions showed employers added 32,000 more jobs in March and April than previously estimated.

The Labor Force Participation Rate has remained steady for over a year now. The 15 year decline which started long before Obama has been halted:
Since April 2014, the participation rate has remained within a narrow range of 62.7 percent to 62.9 percent

But the number of discouraged workers—people who were not looking for work because they believed no jobs were available for them—dropped sharply compared with a year ago, to 563,000 from 697,000 in May 2014.

23j06iu.jpg

Gesundheit.
Yet productivity was down 3.1% last quarter and went down again in May.

Why is that?

23j06iu.jpg

Gesundheit.
Yet the GDP was down 3.1% last quarter and went down again in May.

Why is that?
You would not ask if you had...you know...read the OP links.

Keep trying to find that turd in the ice cream. I'm sorry the good news has hurt your feelings.

23j06iu.jpg

Gesundheit.
Yet the GDP was down 3.1% last quarter and went down again in May.

Why is that?
You would not ask if you had...you know...read the OP links.
Well your first link told me I had to subscribe to read it it. The second was a pdf version.

I just went to the BLS site to read it and remove the middleman.

It also says prices, and thus inflation, is going up.

Not exactly good news for people on a fixed income (retired) or collecting benefits.

Wait for the revisions...usually on page 16, lower left hand corner and in small print of your newspaper

I still don't trust the administration numbers.

They've lied to us again and again......so the only good indication they could report could have been fudged. At best it was just enough to keep from having to report an increase in unemployment.

23j06iu.jpg

Gesundheit.

This is great news but I wonder if the millions of inner city blacks still to this day suffering from high unemployment and even worse, no hope for the future view this as good news.

For you, a lagging indicator means that good job growth is due to Reagan and all things bad are due to everyone else.

Productivity is lagging

Then why are people hiring? If productivity is down, businesses would not be hiring, they'd be waiting.

which means wages will likely stagnate.

Yet, wages are starting to improve.

With incipient inflation the Fed will need to raise rates. Hello, recession.

The Fed keeps rates low to combat inflation, not to the other way around.

23j06iu.jpg

Gesundheit.

By chance have the net over/under on Obama's total job creation to date?

23j06iu.jpg

Gesundheit.

This is great news but I wonder if inner city blacks still to this day suffering from high unemployment and no hope for the future view this as good news.
It isn't just them. My ex wife has been stuck in a part time position for some time now. She looks for other work all the time. When these bullshit stats start being reflected on main street I'll call them good. Until then I'll just mock the fools who take them at face value.

Yeah SURE

I'm sure those 90MILLION people out of work is now jumping for joy and this means the Democrats will take the country by storm.

23j06iu.jpg

Gesundheit.
Another summer recovery,how many in a row will we get?

It isn't just them. My ex wife has been stuck in a part time position for some time now. She looks for other work all the time. When these bullshit stats start being reflected on main street I'll call them good. Until then I'll just mock the fools who take them at face value.

I agree, the celebrations (and the doom forecasts, for that matter) are routinely premature in this day and age. The job growth isn't bad, but it's not necessarily good either. Today's economy relies on surfing bubbles. And corporate interests nowadays seem to try to leverage that by willfully inflating the bubble where they can. We're constantly on the verge of another bad downturn.

Forum List

Back