ST's BP Rantings

Federal and state agencies are pressing ahead with an ambitious plan to build up chains of barrier islands east and west of the mouth of the Mississippi River to protect interior marshes from the spreading oil in the Gulf of Mexico, after state coastal restoration officials filed for a permit with the Army Corps of Engineers this week.

But one obvious component of the plan - hundreds of millions of dollars in funding from oil giant BP - remains uncertain.

BP officials at the joint information center in Robert did not return phone calls seeking comment about the barrier island plan over the past three days.

Oh well, guess they lied to us when they said they'd pay to fix this. BIG SURPRISE

Barrier island defense against Gulf of Mexico oil spill being developed | NOLA.com

PossibleIslands051410.jpg

Last edited:
hell, they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.. so if I were them I'd go with didn't too.. smart.

Somehow this is going to be obama's fault.

Oh and what kid of idiot sides with these oil guys? ^^^^ putz

The facts that have come to light have caused me to change my thinking on the role of regulation with regards to this oil spill. If the current regulations were not being enforced - and it clearly wasn't just a one time slip up, which might be understandable - what makes us think future ones will?

Its time to do what the U.S. does better than any nation - use free market forces to get companies to self-regulate.

I propose the affected states in this disaster all chip in to hire a few thousand attorneys, investigators, paralegals, secretaries, and associated staff - and sue the fuck out of BP until they are no more. Force them to pay so much that the company gets confiscated and sold off.

This could be funded with a special tax that would be refunded with interest to the taxpayer when the case is won.

Once BP has been killed for their crime against nature - all the other companies won't need regulation to keep their shit in line. They will see that if they fuck up bad, they will simply be destroyed. That will be enough.

BP may be a big company, but the gulf states are bigger and we're meaner. Its time to push the fuckers back into the sea just like we did in 1815!!!

We're gonna make a Tea Party participant out of you yet. Now take your correct conclusion about what should become of BP and apply it to AIG, GS, BOA, GM, DCX and any other company that cannot make it playing by the same rules everyone else does. We don't need TARP I, TARP II, UAW bailout, Cash for Clunkers (UAW bailout II) or any other government program to reward failure and corruption.

When you bend the rules for one company/union/government because the consequences are painful (too large to fail), you also take away the primary reason people have to keep themselves divested of losers engaged in risky behavior. No company should be too large to fail and if they become so, they should be broken up so they are not too large to fail.

BP lobbied both the Bush and Obama administrations and were granted exemptions to safety standards by both. They should pay a very dear price for buying off our politicians and causing a disaster like this one. If it means the end of BP, so be it. If investors lose their investment in BP, sorry, but you should have picked a more responsible company.

Federal and state agencies are pressing ahead with an ambitious plan to build up chains of barrier islands east and west of the mouth of the Mississippi River to protect interior marshes from the spreading oil in the Gulf of Mexico, after state coastal restoration officials filed for a permit with the Army Corps of Engineers this week.

But one obvious component of the plan - hundreds of millions of dollars in funding from oil giant BP - remains uncertain.

BP officials at the joint information center in Robert did not return phone calls seeking comment about the barrier island plan over the past three days.

Oh well, guess they lied to us when they said they'd pay to fix this. BIG SURPRISE

Barrier island defense against Gulf of Mexico oil spill being developed | NOLA.com

JESUS CHRIST you whiny little exaggerator.... OMFG! do you ever read what you are crying about? Your linked article says the following...

"BP officials at the joint information center in Robert did not return phone calls seeking comment about the barrier island plan over the past three days. "

Comment to whom? Do you think answering the phones every time some media calls is a good idea? You think their phones should be better used talking to the people who will have to get the money, or the government agencies who will have to do the work or collect it? How about the EPA?

Grow the fuck up you little moron.... If they did talk to the press every time they called, some asshole some where would accuse them of spending too much time with the press and not enough on the problem.....

Stop crying, stop fidgeting, and come down off your tweak junior. They will pay for it and no you won't get a check from them..... Moron....

The facts that have come to light have caused me to change my thinking on the role of regulation with regards to this oil spill. If the current regulations were not being enforced - and it clearly wasn't just a one time slip up, which might be understandable - what makes us think future ones will?

Its time to do what the U.S. does better than any nation - use free market forces to get companies to self-regulate.

I propose the affected states in this disaster all chip in to hire a few thousand attorneys, investigators, paralegals, secretaries, and associated staff - and sue the fuck out of BP until they are no more. Force them to pay so much that the company gets confiscated and sold off.

This could be funded with a special tax that would be refunded with interest to the taxpayer when the case is won.

Once BP has been killed for their crime against nature - all the other companies won't need regulation to keep their shit in line. They will see that if they fuck up bad, they will simply be destroyed. That will be enough.

BP may be a big company, but the gulf states are bigger and we're meaner. Its time to push the fuckers back into the sea just like we did in 1815!!!

We're gonna make a Tea Party participant out of you yet. Now take your correct conclusion about what should become of BP and apply it to AIG, GS, BOA, GM, DCX and any other company that cannot make it playing by the same rules everyone else does. We don't need TARP I, TARP II, UAW bailout, Cash for Clunkers (UAW bailout II) or any other government program to reward failure and corruption.

When you bend the rules for one company/union/government because the consequences are painful (too large to fail), you also take away the primary reason people have to keep themselves divested of losers engaged in risky behavior. No company should be too large to fail and if they become so, they should be broken up so they are not too large to fail.

BP lobbied both the Bush and Obama administrations and were granted exemptions to safety standards by both. They should pay a very dear price for buying off our politicians and causing a disaster like this one. If it means the end of BP, so be it. If investors lose their investment in BP, sorry, but you should have picked a more responsible company.

I agree 100 per cent.. Sorry can't rep a monkey.

JESUS CHRIST you whiny little exaggerator.... OMFG! do you ever read what you are crying about? Your linked article says the following...

"BP officials at the joint information center in Robert did not return phone calls seeking comment about the barrier island plan over the past three days. "

Comment to whom? Do you think answering the phones every time some media calls is a good idea? You think their phones should be better used talking to the people who will have to get the money, or the government agencies who will have to do the work or collect it? How about the EPA?

Grow the fuck up you little moron.... If they did talk to the press every time they called, some asshole some where would accuse them of spending too much time with the press and not enough on the problem.....

Stop crying, stop fidgeting, and come down off your tweak junior. They will pay for it and no you won't get a check from them..... Moron....

Why are you such an ass? Small dick?

Why are you such whiny broken record? Why are you always exaggerating and lying?

THis is how many threads on the same subject from you now? Seriously get over it, there is nothing any one can do to change it happened.

Why are you such whiny broken record? Why are you always exaggerating and lying?

THis is how many threads on the same subject from you now? Seriously get over it, there is nothing any one can do to change it happened.

Why are you obsessed with posting in threads about subjects you aren't interested in? I think you should see a shrink about this. Posting obsessively about something you don't care about has to be a fucking disease. In the meantime though, I would suggest you simply not post in threads you don't care about.

Spiderman, your approach does seem like a most Libertarian one to the problem. I certainly have no trouble in holding corporations accountable for their actions, but isn't the lawsuit route hampered in this situation by existing legal limits to liabilities of the corporations involved? In looking to the future, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing any of these current limits greatly increased to give these guys incentive to go beyond what is simply required by regulation.

The result of the OPs great idea.... not one foreign business would do business with the US.
If they don't want our money then we can do business with others. Since you like corporations that rape the people and don't get punished in any meaningful way, you can have them.

This is why some of us feel it is important to learn the principles of 'critical thinking'.
Some of us feel like you're a snooty bitch, and its because you are.

I have a better idea you miserable, ignorant mass of jackassery.

I vote petroleum companies pull out of the gulf all together and then the only job you all have down there is holding the lighting for Girls Gone Wild Mardi Gras photographers.
Somehow I don't think petro companies are going to leave all this money laying underneath the gulf floor just because you "vote" they should.

But the idea that they aren't already paying for it out the wazoo is ridiculous.

Is that a joke? They made $6,000,000,000 last quarter. At $24,000,000,000 a year, I don't think they are hurting that much. Sorry, but if I were to dump oil all over the Louisiana coast, I would expect to have to pay more than 2 weeks pay to make it right.
You want to put them out of business?
Yes.
Because of an accident?
its no accident they were not prepared to handle this contigency. That's why its over 3 weeks later and the thing is still gushing out. Its clear they just prayed to God that all the safeguards on the rig would work - and should they fail, well oh well then, no big deal, just the worse U.S. oil spill in at least 20 years and probably far worse.

How does losing American jobs with a company with a somewhat clean record in favor of Chinese companies drilling in the gulf without safety standards and absolutely no care about environmental impact in the gulf help?

Jobs? I'm almost certain that if BP doesn't want the money underneath the Gulf floor, someone else will. Their numerous competitors, for instance.

Stop trying to punish people and just fix the problem.

Why do you think corporations should not be punished for doing wrong? Why do you think they should have more rights than people?

Last edited:

Why are you obsessed with posting in threads about subjects you aren't interested in? I think you should see a shrink about this. Posting obsessively about something you don't care about has to be a fucking disease. In the meantime though, I would suggest you simply not post in threads you don't care about.

Still going to play dumb when you are called out huh.....

Here is your MO.....

you say something ignorant or lie like you did in the OP. And then when you are called on it, you turn into an idiot. you pretend you don't understand, or you ramble off nonsense just like now....

Dude you have gone into a threads repeatedly and not understood a thing that was being discussed and tried to pull this "I'm smart/I'm ignorant now" crap... And at this same time you go around here trying to tell everyone you are a PHD candidate in astrophysics....

Seriously man, either you have a legitimate point to make or you don't stop wasting peoples time... YOUR OP was a lie.... You made the implications up and you cry when you are called on it? Grow up ! big baby, if you can't take getting caught lying then don't fucking lie.....

my2¢;2305027 said:
Spiderman, your approach does seem like a most Libertarian one to the problem. I certainly have no trouble in holding corporations accountable for their actions, but isn't the lawsuit route hampered in this situation by existing legal limits to liabilities of the corporations involved? In looking to the future, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing any of these current limits greatly increased to give these guys incentive to go beyond what is simply required by regulation.

Those limits will be raised by Congress very soon, and even if they aren't, the $75,000,000 cap is lifted automatically in cases of willful negligence.

Without tarp we'd be facing a 1930's style great depression right now. The problem is that these banks are allowed to get so big that the government has no choice but to bail them out - their failure would cause a collapse of the economic system. The obvious solution is to limit the size of banks.

Forum List

Back