ST's BP Rantings

Mr. PHD assholephysics candidate, it's their not "there"

Clearly, that's why I wrote "their".

, and yes they're profit motivated as most corporations are, but at this time their concern is plugging up the leak.. after all this is oil that they could be selling to your dumbass, for a profit.

Their concern is preserving their profits. Simply allowing the oil to flow without doing anything about would cost them more in the long run in terms of lawsuits, fines, willingness of people to buy from them.

Lord I hope not all coonasses are as stupid as you are.

Really? The use of ethnic epithets? That's your argument?

Clearly, that's why I wrote "their".

Their concern is preserving their profits. Simply allowing the oil to flow without doing anything about would cost them more in the long run in terms of lawsuits, fines, willingness of people to buy from them.

Coonass, despite sounding so, is not a racial epithet.

It's basically the Louisana version of "hillbilly" or "hoosier".

I've always seen it classified as an epithet.

It's similar to 'peckerwood' or '******', both of which have been adapted by some folks as a means of self-identification.

It's similar to 'peckerwood' or '******', both of which have been adapted by some folks as a means of self-identification.

I guess it's an "ethnic slur", but it has nothing to do with race.

Coonass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never met anyone from Louisiana who considers it derogatory. In fact, it's usually the opposite.

Yes and with all their little toys they are no better at predicting landfall than they were 20 years ago.
That's not even true. Hurricane tracking improves every year.
The NWS/Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory model. This model has been the best overall performing model the past three years. An upgrade to the model this spring has produced a 10-12% improvement in track forecasts and a 30% improvement in intensity forecasts when re-run on hurricanes from the 2005 season. The GFDL and HWRF models are the only models that provide specific intensity forecasts of hurricanes. Wunderground.com makes these graphics available on our computer models page. More deatiled GFDL graphics are available at NOAA/NCEP. See the "GHM" model under the heading, Hurricane Graphics.

Explanation of computer models used to track hurricanes : Weather Underground

Like I said I've lived on this coast my entire life (40+ years), I've been through countless hurricanes I'm just as good are better at predicting landfall than most meteorologist.

No you aren't. What you're good at is being totally full of bullshit.

Oh and these "models" you speak of do nothing more than look at barametric pressure, jet stream and water temp to make a guess, hence the "cone of probability".

Wrong again Mr. Bullshit Artist. They solve the differential equations for fluid dynamics.

(same link)
The best hurricane forecasting models we have are "global" models, that solve the mathematical equations governing the behavior of the atmosphere at every point on the globe. Models that solve these equations are called "dynamical" models. The four best hurricane forecast models--GFDL, GFS, UKMET, and NOGAPS--are all global dynamical models. These models take several hours to run on the world's most advanced supercomputers

Last edited:

I guess it's an "ethnic slur", but it has nothing to do with race.

Coonass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never met anyone from Louisiana who considers it derogatory. In fact, it's usually the opposite.

Neither have I. I've read on wiki that some people consider it offensive but i have yet to meet one. I'll stop using it the day a real coonass looks me in the eye and tells me I've offended him by using the term.

While I disagree with geux's political views, he is absolutely correct on this point, as I spend quite a bit of time in south Louisianna and some of my best friends are "coon-ass's". It has nothing AT ALL to do with ethnicity!!

While I disagree with geux's political views, he is absolutely correct on this point, as I spend quite a bit of time in south Louisianna and some of my best friends are "coon-ass's". It has nothing AT ALL to do with ethnicity!!

It refers to those of Cajun descent. Not all Louisianians are Cajun. We have massive populations of people descended from African, English, Italian, Sicilian, German, French, Irish, Native, and Vietnamese people.

Forum List

Back