ST's BP Rantings

The cofferdamn can't be used as a measuring device as 1) you really cant see into it. 2) its one liquid in it displacing another.

1) You can't really see much inside a 10,000 bbl barge, but you don't have to take a swim in its contents to measure how much is in it.

2) Yeah, that's actually WHY you can measure it. If it was one liquid mixing evenly with another, measurement would be much less practical. But since the oil tends to stay separate from the water, floating on the top, all you've got to do is measure the time from the point when the thing got clogged to the time when oil started flowing out around its base, then take the total known volume of the dam and divide it by that amount of time - voila, you have the leak rate.

:cuckoo: OK. You just specified when you would evacuate in the very same sentence above! See bold-faced print. Says I EVACUATE WHEN A HURRICANE REACHES CAT 3 OR HIGHER. There were 5 Cat 3 or higher gulf storms that year. You still can't speak without contradicting yourself.

Obviously no sane person in Texas would evacuate when a Cat 3 or greater threatens you stupid fucks in Louisiana.

Its interesting how you hold others to higher standards than yourself. Katrina was still predicted to hit the Florida panhandle as late as the 27th.

Tuber... it's quite evident to most everyone else what was meant by the statement.. the gulf is a large place... evacuation orders and landing estimate areas are not for the whole gulf area every time a hurricane comes into the gulf....

Was I talking to you?

New estimates of amount of oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico spark congressional inquiry | NOLA.com
National Public Radio asked Steven Wereley, an associate professor at Purdue University, to estimate the amount of oil leaking from a pipe on the Gulf floor viewed in video released by BP earlier this week. His computer program tracks particles on the tape and calculates how fast they are moving.

Wereley's estimates that anywhere from 56,000 to 84,000 barrels are leaking each day. Previous estimates from BP and the Coast Guard have placed the amount at 5,000 barrels a day. The higher estimate would mean the Gulf spill already exceeds the record set by the 1989 Exxon Valdez accident in Alaska
New estimates of amount of oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico spark congressional inquiry | NOLA.com

es·ti·mate
   /v. ˈɛstəˌmeɪt; n. ˈɛstəmɪt, -ˌmeɪt/ Show Spelled [v. es-tuh-meyt; n. es-tuh-mit, -meyt] Show IPA verb,-mat·ed, -mat·ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
to form an approximate judgment or opinion regarding the worth, amount, size, weight, etc., of; calculate approximately: to estimate the cost of a college education.
to form an opinion of; judge.
–verb (used without object)
to make an estimate.
–noun
an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.
a judgment or opinion, as of the qualities of a person or thing.
a statement of the approximate charge for work to be done, submitted by a person or business firm ready to undertake the work

fuckwit

Then do us all a favor and stop wearing a seatbelt when you ride or drive a car.

Uhh, OK. Then I caught you in a lie. You said:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/energ...velopes-new-orleans-again-14.html#post2302957

There were FIVE Cat 3 or higher storms in the Gulf in 2005. You said whenever a Cat 3 or higher enters the Gulf, you evacuate. So you lied.

I said I evacuate when a hurricane reaches a cat 3 or higher, but I didn't specify exactly when I would evacuate.
:cuckoo: OK. You just specified when you would evacuate in the very same sentence above! See bold-faced print. Says I EVACUATE WHEN A HURRICANE REACHES CAT 3 OR HIGHER. There were 5 Cat 3 or higher gulf storms that year. You still can't speak without contradicting yourself.

Obviously no sane person in Texas would evacuate when a Cat 3 or greater threatens you stupid fucks in Louisiana.

Its interesting how you hold others to higher standards than yourself. Katrina was still predicted to hit the Florida panhandle as late as the 27th.

You are one stupid fuck.

Katrine did hit Florida on the 25th, and then it hit land again on the 29th in Louisiana. How many days notice do you need to evacuate?

From this map of Katrina's path, it's obvious that once Katrina got past Florida it wasn't going to turn back around. So if they told you on the 27th it was going to hit Florida they lied and your dumbass obviously believed them.

FLHurricane.com: Google Map Plot of Katrina (2005) Google Maps Hurricane Track Overlay

Can you cite a source or otherwise show that the earth won't take care of this issue?

Fisherman in Alaska are still waiting for the Earth to take care of the Exxon-Valdez you idiot.
Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains

Oil naturally "disappears" through two processes: As the tide rises over an oil patch, the water sloughs off bits of oil, which then disperse into the ocean as tiny, less harmful droplets that can biodegrade easily.

Biodegradation occurs when bacteria or other microorganisms break down oil as part of their life cycle.

Awesome.Doesn't happen fast enough.

Tuber... it's quite evident to most everyone else what was meant by the statement.. the gulf is a large place... evacuation orders and landing estimate areas are not for the whole gulf area every time a hurricane comes into the gulf....

Was I talking to you?

It's an open forum, dumbass... I don't need your permission to interject in a conversation

Lied? Why assume that they lied? Maybe they miscalculated? Cuz the Coast Guard said the same as BP so did BP bribe the Coast Guard to lie?

Actually Cali, BP claims its not even possible to measure how much is coming out.
But scientists and environmental groups are raising sharp questions about that estimate, declaring that the leak must be far larger. They also criticize BP for refusing to use well-known scientific techniques that would give a more precise figure.

The criticism escalated on Thursday, a day after the release of a video that showed a huge black plume of oil gushing from the broken well at a seemingly high rate. BP has repeatedly claimed that measuring the plume would be impossible.

Which is an obvious bold faced lie. BP could have measured the leak rate very accurately when it had the clogged coffer dam over the leak - its a giant measuring cup.

Calculations of Gulf Spill Volume Are Questioned - NYTimes.com

Maybe they're right and the Professor is wrong? The Professor is basing his calculation on video tape. Maybe he's wrong.

The professor is basing his calculation on videotape, yes, what would you prefer he did, just pull a random number out his ass like everyone else so far? Because other than this single well justified calculation based on video evidence, all we have is a government guess and a BP lie that they can't measure it.

Can you post one post without lying? I have made no such claim, you lying bastard. Stop fucking lying.

It took them something like 23 days to release that video. Of course BP is going to try to cover it up. They knew independent scientist would have figured out a rough estimate in a day. Which they did. I don't think anyone would do anything different if they were running BP. Just considering they stand to lose BILLIONS of dollars here and a loss of somewhere around 20 percent of their stock price in just the past couple of weeks. We could end up kicking them out of the gulf when this is through. Would anyone else do anything different if you were in their shoes?

Christ, ANOTHER ST thread about BP????

Radioman has another to add to the spam list.

Please quit littering the board with your hysterical whining. The conversation concerning the Gulf oil spill is a serious one that requires serious adults. This does not include you. Thanks so much.

:thup:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/117077-bp-no-longer-sure-if-they-wanna-pay-to-clean-the-mess.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/energy/116663-stench-of-crude-oil-fumes-envelopes-new-orleans-again.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/116982-bp-cut-corners-people-dies-and-oil-spilled.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/116937-a-crime-against-nature.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/116761-transocean-tried-to-slip-away-from-its-legal-responsibility-in-this-mess.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/116528-to-oil-company-lovers-this-will-blow-your-mind.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/116370-bp-and-its-criminal-past.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/116281-bp-idiots-may-finally-get-around-to-stopping-their-gusher.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/116249-bp-jeopardized-health-of-new-orleans.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/115923-any-righties-on-the-3rd-coast-wanna-tell-me-how-great-oil-is.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/115934-should-taxpayers-bail-out-3rd-coast-if-bp-does-not.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/116046-the-british-invasion-reaches-our-shores-their-first-target-louisianas-state-bird.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/115800-bp-adds-insult-to-injury.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/115586-tougher-regulation-could-have-prevent-oil-spill.html

The cofferdamn can't be used as a measuring device as 1) you really cant see into it. 2) its one liquid in it displacing another.

1) You can't really see much inside a 10,000 bbl barge, but you don't have to take a swim in its contents to measure how much is in it.

2) Yeah, that's actually WHY you can measure it. If it was one liquid mixing evenly with another, measurement would be much less practical. But since the oil tends to stay separate from the water, floating on the top, all you've got to do is measure the time from the point when the thing got clogged to the time when oil started flowing out around its base, then take the total known volume of the dam and divide it by that amount of time - voila, you have the leak rate.

You know how much is in the barge from how much you pumped, from the level indicator on the side, and from displacement. Mostly you can do this because it isnt 1 mile underwater. Also barges tend to be empty when you start adding stuff to them.

For point 2, again 1 mile underwater. Also you would have only 1 shot at measuring if your method was really feasible. You would have to note when then spillover goes from clear to clouded, and would need laminar flow that miraculously bypasses the exitsting water in its way as it rises to the top of the bell.

And all this to measure something when instead they could be working to figure out how to stop it.

Fisherman in Alaska are still waiting for the Earth to take care of the Exxon-Valdez you idiot.
Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains

Oil naturally "disappears" through two processes: As the tide rises over an oil patch, the water sloughs off bits of oil, which then disperse into the ocean as tiny, less harmful droplets that can biodegrade easily.

Biodegradation occurs when bacteria or other microorganisms break down oil as part of their life cycle.

Well.. keep your little ruby slippers on and keep wishing... because in all probability, with your derangement over the issue, nothing would be 'fast enough' for you

So if they told you on the 27th it was going to hit Florida they lied and your dumbass obviously believed them.

:clap2::clap2::clap2: Thank you Dr. Righteous Hindsight!

Just let me make sure I get this straight here:

a) One should evacuate whenever a cat 3 or higher hurricane is forecast to hit landfall near where one lives.

b) One should not trust hurricane forecasts.

Brilliant! You will go to any lengths of twisted fucked up logic to justify your hatred!

Well.. keep your little ruby slippers on and keep wishing... because in all probability, with your derangement over the issue, nothing would be 'fast enough' for you

I apologize to BP and the other Corporate Gods for suggesting that 20+ years is too long to wait for the beautiful oil they are spilling on our coast to be gone. I am a mere citizen, I have no right to question the corporation.

It took them something like 23 days to release that video. Of course BP is going to try to cover it up. They knew independent scientist would have figured out a rough estimate in a day. Which they did. I don't think anyone would do anything different if they were running BP. Just considering they stand to lose BILLIONS of dollars here and a loss of somewhere around 20 percent of their stock price in just the past couple of weeks. We could end up kicking them out of the gulf when this is through. Would anyone else do anything different if you were in their shoes?

What difference would it make knowing how much oil is leaking out? Fact is BP's primary goal wasn't to determine how much oil was being leaked, but to stop the damn leak. And a rough esitmate is just that.

And is anyone really surprised about this?

Why should a company that is being attacked by the Obama Administration to deflect attention from its lack of a "Day One Response" and is being threatened with Ex Post Facto legislation voluntarily do anything right now? Such attacks by the government tend to force everything towards a "work to law" environment. There is no incentive for BP to do anything other than the bare minimum. The government is overreaching to take more, BP will wait to see how to minimize the costs under that scenario.

I apologize to BP and the other Corporate Gods for suggesting that 20+ years is too long to wait for the beautiful oil they are spilling on our coast to be gone. I am a mere citizen, I have no right to question the corporation.

You can question all you want... and you can whine all you want (lord knows you do that well)... but when it comes down to it, it will only take as long as it takes.... and no matter HOW much money you try and throw at it, it won't be completely cleaned up by efforts... the natural course of the biodegrade is the only way it will be completely gone

Oh... and your 20+ years appears to be based on the Exxon spill, which if you actually looked into it further, is slowed in recovery because of a specific set of circumstances in a closed system..... what is needed for the biodegrade to happen is in fact prevalent in the gulf.... but like I said, it is highly probable that nothing will be fast enough for you.... the rest of the people will live in reality

You know how much is in the barge from how much you pumped, from the level indicator on the side, and from displacement.

Draft measurements will only give you a very approximate number. To more accurately measure the contents, you would walk out on the deck and drop a gauging tape down one of the gauging holes to measure the innage. From that you would use a prepared table for that particular barge that lists volume as a function of innage.
Also barges tend to be empty when you start adding stuff to them.
You'd be surprised. Styrene especially can be a problem, because it solidifies as it warms.

For point 2, again 1 mile underwater. Also you would have only 1 shot at measuring if your method was really feasible. You would have to note when then spillover goes from clear to clouded, and would need laminar flow that miraculously bypasses the exitsting water in its way as it rises to the top of the bell.
All you need is video. Its not really that hard. A child could figure it out. They knew beforehand there was a possibility the think would clog up - they could have prepared to at least use that bad news to get a measurement. All you have to do is note the time the clog happens and have video on the thing. Sure, the point where oil starts to flow out the bottom won't be a precise moment in time, but it will be enough to got a rough estimate, and then you can go and model the flow inside after the fact to get a better estimate.

And all this to measure something when instead they could be working to figure out how to stop it.
That is a false excuse. ONE scientist at Purdue, with maybe a couple of grad students helping him, came out with this estimate, its not like it took a team of scientists. BP probably could have sent video of the leak to dozens of scientists and engineers all over the world who would have gladly come up with independent estimates free of charge to BP.

So if they told you on the 27th it was going to hit Florida they lied and your dumbass obviously believed them.

:clap2::clap2::clap2: Thank you Dr. Righteous Hindsight!

Just let me make sure I get this straight here:

a) One should evacuate whenever a cat 3 or higher hurricane is forecast to hit landfall near where one lives.

b) One should not trust hurricane forecasts.

Brilliant! You will go to any lengths of twisted fucked up logic to justify your hatred!

You shouldn't trust a forcast that is wrong. Any one with an IQ above 70, which you obviously do not possess, can view a radar screen and draw their own conclusion about the track of a hurricane. But when in doubt always err on the side of safety.

What difference would it make knowing how much oil is leaking out? Fact is BP's primary goal wasn't to determine how much oil was being leaked, but to stop the damn leak. And a rough esitmate is just that.

Their only goal is profit.

Their only goal is profit.
Duh.

:rolleyes:

Goddam, are you stupid.

Forum List

Back