ST's BP Rantings

New estimates of amount of oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico spark congressional inquiry | NOLA.com
National Public Radio asked Steven Wereley, an associate professor at Purdue University, to estimate the amount of oil leaking from a pipe on the Gulf floor viewed in video released by BP earlier this week. His computer program tracks particles on the tape and calculates how fast they are moving.

Wereley's estimates that anywhere from 56,000 to 84,000 barrels are leaking each day. Previous estimates from BP and the Coast Guard have placed the amount at 5,000 barrels a day. The higher estimate would mean the Gulf spill already exceeds the record set by the 1989 Exxon Valdez accident in Alaska
New estimates of amount of oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico spark congressional inquiry | NOLA.com

STFU!!! You stupid ASSHOLE!!!! Why don't you just appreciate the new descrption of a gulf coast beach? "It's Shiny"

National Public Radio asked Steven Wereley, an associate professor at Purdue University, to estimate the amount of oil leaking from a pipe on the Gulf floor viewed in video released by BP earlier this week. His computer program tracks particles on the tape and calculates how fast they are moving.

Wereley's estimates that anywhere from 56,000 to 84,000 barrels are leaking each day. Previous estimates from BP and the Coast Guard have placed the amount at 5,000 barrels a day. The higher estimate would mean the Gulf spill already exceeds the record set by the 1989 Exxon Valdez accident in Alaska

STFU!!! You stupid ASSHOLE!!!! Why don't you just appreciate the new descrption of a gulf coast beach? "It's Shiny"

And it won't rust! :lol:

Lied? Why assume that they lied? Maybe they miscalculated? Cuz the Coast Guard said the same as BP so did BP bribe the Coast Guard to lie?

Maybe they're right and the Professor is wrong? The Professor is basing his calculation on video tape. Maybe he's wrong.

Unsurprisingly, Spidey yet again assumes facts not in evidence because they support his own view. Moron.

Hey stupid, there are no solutions to accidents.

Then do us all a favor and stop wearing a seatbelt when you ride or drive a car.

Uhh, OK. Then I caught you in a lie. You said:

I've been living on the gulf cost my entire life, when a hurricane is in the gulf I don't wait for someone to tell me when it's time to fucking leave. If it's a Cat. 2 or lower I stay home, Cat. 3 or higher I evacuate. You dumbasses in Louisiana are too fucking stupid to know when it's time to leave.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/energ...velopes-new-orleans-again-14.html#post2302957

There were FIVE Cat 3 or higher storms in the Gulf in 2005. You said whenever a Cat 3 or higher enters the Gulf, you evacuate. So you lied.

I said I evacuate when a hurricane reaches a cat 3 or higher, but I didn't specify exactly when I would evacuate.
:cuckoo: OK. You just specified when you would evacuate in the very same sentence above! See bold-faced print. Says I EVACUATE WHEN A HURRICANE REACHES CAT 3 OR HIGHER. There were 5 Cat 3 or higher gulf storms that year. You still can't speak without contradicting yourself.

Obviously no sane person in Texas would evacuate when a Cat 3 or greater threatens you stupid fucks in Louisiana.

Its interesting how you hold others to higher standards than yourself. Katrina was still predicted to hit the Florida panhandle as late as the 27th.

Lied? Why assume that they lied? Maybe they miscalculated? Cuz the Coast Guard said the same as BP so did BP bribe the Coast Guard to lie?

Maybe they're right and the Professor is wrong? The Professor is basing his calculation on video tape. Maybe he's wrong.

Unsurprisingly, Spidey yet again assumes facts not in evidence because they support his own view. Moron.

Are you that gullible and naive? Did you not hear that BP covered up the safety of this rig? Guess not!

Energy is a national security issue. We should nationalize all domestic drilling, put it under the Department of Defense, use all the oil produced to supply the military, and sell the surplus to the American public at cost.

How very communist of you! Also.... just curious about who this 'We' is that you refer to... because for the US Government to 'nationalize' domestic drilling and then sell the surplus to the American people would be, in effect, us paying for it twice.... Because the US Government is funded by the US Taxpayer... so if they 'nationalize' the drilling - we fucking own it so why should we pay for it again?

What a fucking communistic little dipshit you are.

It wouldn't be paying for it twice because it has to be gotten out of the ground. Americans would only pay for the cost of getting it out of the ground and getting it refined.

Oh, and PS...

"Namecalling is the sign of a lost argument." (California Girl 10/09)

...so now that I've won that argument, anything else you want to discuss??

That's not name calling, it's a statement of fact. You support communism... you're a communistic little dipshit. Fool.

Actually Cali, BP claims its not even possible to measure how much is coming out.
But scientists and environmental groups are raising sharp questions about that estimate, declaring that the leak must be far larger. They also criticize BP for refusing to use well-known scientific techniques that would give a more precise figure.

The criticism escalated on Thursday, a day after the release of a video that showed a huge black plume of oil gushing from the broken well at a seemingly high rate. BP has repeatedly claimed that measuring the plume would be impossible.

Which is an obvious bold faced lie. BP could have measured the leak rate very accurately when it had the clogged coffer dam over the leak - its a giant measuring cup.

Calculations of Gulf Spill Volume Are Questioned - NYTimes.com

The professor is basing his calculation on videotape, yes, what would you prefer he did, just pull a random number out his ass like everyone else so far? Because other than this single well justified calculation based on video evidence, all we have is a government guess and a BP lie that they can't measure it.

I think I could probably come up with estimates just as realistic as anyone elses using a dartboard and a blindfold.

Spiderflunky don't understand what an estimate is. It's impossible to know how much oil is coming out of the ground without knowing the rate of flow and the size of the leak. All they can do is provide an educated guess, which is what an estimate boils down to.

Foreign companies will simply sell the oil to China instead of us with the restrictions he suggests.

Dude - WHAT restrictions?

Suing them out of existence would be considered restrictive by a reasonable person. You do remember suggesting that in the first post you made right?

Putting someone in prison is also considered restrictive but some people deserve it. What is your solution here? Just let the corporations do as they please? Its quite simple - don't destroy our coast - and we won't destroy you - how fucking hard is that to get?

Actually Cali, BP claims its not even possible to measure how much is coming out.
But scientists and environmental groups are raising sharp questions about that estimate, declaring that the leak must be far larger. They also criticize BP for refusing to use well-known scientific techniques that would give a more precise figure.

The criticism escalated on Thursday, a day after the release of a video that showed a huge black plume of oil gushing from the broken well at a seemingly high rate. BP has repeatedly claimed that measuring the plume would be impossible.

Which is an obvious bold faced lie. BP could have measured the leak rate very accurately when it had the clogged coffer dam over the leak - its a giant measuring cup.

The professor is basing his calculation on videotape, yes, what would you prefer he did, just pull a random number out his ass like everyone else so far? Because other than this single well justified calculation based on video evidence, all we have is a government guess and a BP lie that they can't measure it.

And from that you decide that they 'lied'. Honestly, your critical thinking skills are non existent. Must be hard to be you.

IF BP lied, so did the US Coast Guard... and a few other agencies who independently came up with the same estimate.

But then.... they didn't have the benefit of film footage at that stage.

Spiderflunky don't understand what an estimate is. It's impossible to know how much oil is coming out of the ground without knowing the rate of flow and the size of the leak. All they can do is provide an educated guess, which is what an estimate boils down to.

You know that, I know that.... sadly, critical thinking is not in Spidey's skill set. His particular talent LIES in, well, lies.

The cofferdamn can't be used as a measuring device as 1) you really cant see into it. 2) its one liquid in it displacing another.

If it worked they could determine spill rate by a combination of how much they pumped out with an analysis of what is in the hold.

To me this whole discussion is academic. There is a spill, its a lot of oil, and BP has to clean it.

Dude - WHAT restrictions?

Suing them out of existence would be considered restrictive by a reasonable person. You do remember suggesting that in the first post you made right?

Putting someone in prison is also considered restrictive but some people deserve it. What is your solution here? Just let the corporations do as they please? Its quite simple - don't destroy our coast - and we won't destroy you - how fucking hard is that to get?

We are not discussing what I would do. You felt compelled to throw out an idea. Now we are having fun beating the Hell out of the idiotic concept. Quite frankly, I'm having way too much fun with that to let you in on my ideas.

Spiderflunky don't understand what an estimate is. It's impossible to know how much oil is coming out of the ground without knowing the rate of flow and the size of the leak.

particle image velocimetry.

All they can do is provide an educated guess, which is what an estimate boils down to.
The range of error is specified in my subject line.

And from that you decide that they 'lied'. Honestly, your critical thinking skills are non existent. Must be hard to be you.

IF BP lied, so did the US Coast Guard... and a few other agencies who independently came up with the same estimate.

But then.... they didn't have the benefit of film footage at that stage.

BP didn't come up with the estimate. They simply refuse to acknowledge its at all possible to measure the flow, which is an obvious lie.

Then do us all a favor and stop wearing a seatbelt when you ride or drive a car.

Uhh, OK. Then I caught you in a lie. You said:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/energ...velopes-new-orleans-again-14.html#post2302957

There were FIVE Cat 3 or higher storms in the Gulf in 2005. You said whenever a Cat 3 or higher enters the Gulf, you evacuate. So you lied.

I said I evacuate when a hurricane reaches a cat 3 or higher, but I didn't specify exactly when I would evacuate.
:cuckoo: OK. You just specified when you would evacuate in the very same sentence above! See bold-faced print. Says I EVACUATE WHEN A HURRICANE REACHES CAT 3 OR HIGHER. There were 5 Cat 3 or higher gulf storms that year. You still can't speak without contradicting yourself.

Obviously no sane person in Texas would evacuate when a Cat 3 or greater threatens you stupid fucks in Louisiana.

Its interesting how you hold others to higher standards than yourself. Katrina was still predicted to hit the Florida panhandle as late as the 27th.

Tuber... it's quite evident to most everyone else what was meant by the statement.. the gulf is a large place... evacuation orders and landing estimate areas are not for the whole gulf area every time a hurricane comes into the gulf....

Forum List

Back