ST's BP Rantings

You know how much is in the barge from how much you pumped, from the level indicator on the side, and from displacement.

Draft measurements will only give you a very approximate number. To more accurately measure the contents, you would walk out on the deck and drop a gauging tape down one of the gauging holes to measure the innage. From that you would use a prepared table for that particular barge that lists volume as a function of innage.
Also barges tend to be empty when you start adding stuff to them.
You'd be surprised. Styrene especially can be a problem, because it solidifies as it warms.

For point 2, again 1 mile underwater. Also you would have only 1 shot at measuring if your method was really feasible. You would have to note when then spillover goes from clear to clouded, and would need laminar flow that miraculously bypasses the exitsting water in its way as it rises to the top of the bell.
All you need is video. Its not really that hard. A child could figure it out. They knew beforehand there was a possibility the think would clog up - they could have prepared to at least use that bad news to get a measurement. All you have to do is note the time the clog happens and have video on the thing. Sure, the point where oil starts to flow out the bottom won't be a precise moment in time, but it will be enough to got a rough estimate, and then you can go and model the flow inside after the fact to get a better estimate.

And all this to measure something when instead they could be working to figure out how to stop it.
That is a false excuse. ONE scientist at Purdue, with maybe a couple of grad students helping him, came out with this estimate, its not like it took a team of scientists. BP probably could have sent video of the leak to dozens of scientists and engineers all over the world who would have gladly come up with independent estimates free of charge to BP.

Estimating a flow from a plume shown on a video is basically guesswork. i dont care how good you think your model is. And again it is a big waste of time. The only people who seem to care about how much oil is leaking are those trying to make political statements out of it. The people trying to stop if have other things to worry about.

You shouldn't trust a forcast that is wrong.
How the fuck would I know its wrong until its already happened, Dr. Righteous "20/20" Hindsight ?

Any one with an IQ above 70, which you obviously do not possess, can view a radar screen and draw their own conclusion about the track of a hurricane.

They could draw their own conclusions, but those conclusions would be ill informed. How do you suggest one predicts landfall simply by looking at the radar screen?

It took them something like 23 days to release that video. Of course BP is going to try to cover it up. They knew independent scientist would have figured out a rough estimate in a day. Which they did. I don't think anyone would do anything different if they were running BP. Just considering they stand to lose BILLIONS of dollars here and a loss of somewhere around 20 percent of their stock price in just the past couple of weeks. We could end up kicking them out of the gulf when this is through. Would anyone else do anything different if you were in their shoes?

What difference would it make knowing how much oil is leaking out? Fact is BP's primary goal wasn't to determine how much oil was being leaked, but to stop the damn leak. And a rough esitmate is just that.

Their only goal is profit.

Mr. PHD assholephysics candidate, it's their not "there", and yes they're profit motivated as most corporations are, but at this time their concern is plugging up the leak.. after all this is oil that they could be selling to your dumbass, for a profit.

Estimating a flow from a plume shown on a video is basically guesswork.
The term "guesswork" in this context has vague meaning. All scientific measurements - direct and indirect - come with associated margins of error. In this case, the margin is +/ 20%.

i dont care how good you think your model is.

Its clear that you do not care for evidence, that much is evident.

The only people who seem to care about how much oil is leaking are those trying to make political statements out of it.
I assure you the people of Louisiana care how much oil is being leaked out. Our particular methods of response to this catastrophe may depend on such estimates.

just curious about who this 'We' is that you refer to... because for the US Government to 'nationalize' domestic drilling and then sell the surplus to the American people would be, in effect, us paying for it twice.... Because the US Government is funded by the US Taxpayer... so if they 'nationalize' the drilling - we fucking own it so why should we pay for it again?
:clap2:

What difference would it make knowing how much oil is leaking out? Fact is BP's primary goal wasn't to determine how much oil was being leaked, but to stop the damn leak. And a rough esitmate is just that.

Mr. PHD assholephysics candidate, it's their not "there"

Clearly, that's why I wrote "their".

, and yes they're profit motivated as most corporations are, but at this time their concern is plugging up the leak.. after all this is oil that they could be selling to your dumbass, for a profit.

Their concern is preserving their profits. Simply allowing the oil to flow without doing anything about would cost them more in the long run in terms of lawsuits, fines, willingness of people to buy from them.

And is anyone really surprised about this?

Why should a company that is being attacked by the Obama Administration to deflect attention from its lack of a "Day One Response" and is being threatened with Ex Post Facto legislation voluntarily do anything right now? Such attacks by the government tend to force everything towards a "work to law" environment. There is no incentive for BP to do anything other than the bare minimum. The government is overreaching to take more, BP will wait to see how to minimize the costs under that scenario.

Ex post facto only applies to criminal law. See Calder v Bull (1798)

How the fuck would I know its wrong until its already happened, Dr. Righteous "20/20" Hindsight ?

Any one with an IQ above 70, which you obviously do not possess, can view a radar screen and draw their own conclusion about the track of a hurricane.

They could draw their own conclusions, but those conclusions would be ill informed. How do you suggest one predicts landfall simply by looking at the radar screen?

Oh that's right, I forgot you were stupid!

How old are you nine? Ten? Most people I know that live on the Gulf coast can watch the track of a hurricane along with the barometric pressure and come up with a landfall prediction equal to are better than any meteorologist. And by knowing the rate of speed one can approximate the time of landfall. How do you think meteoroloist come up with their predictions? By flipping a coin?

Most meteorologist even give a "cone of probability" for morons like yourself.

Well.. keep your little ruby slippers on and keep wishing... because in all probability, with your derangement over the issue, nothing would be 'fast enough' for you

I apologize to BP and the other Corporate Gods for suggesting that 20+ years is too long to wait for the beautiful oil they are spilling on our coast to be gone. I am a mere citizen, I have no right to question the corporation.

You can question all you want... and you can whine all you want (lord knows you do that well)... but when it comes down to it, it will only take as long as it takes.... and no matter HOW much money you try and throw at it, it won't be completely cleaned up by efforts... the natural course of the biodegrade is the only way it will be completely gone

Oh... and your 20+ years appears to be based on the Exxon spill, which if you actually looked into it further, is slowed in recovery because of a specific set of circumstances in a closed system..... what is needed for the biodegrade to happen is in fact prevalent in the gulf.... but like I said, it is highly probable that nothing will be fast enough for you.... the rest of the people will live in reality

BP executives scrubbing the marshes with toothbrushes

How old are you nine? Ten? Most people I know that live on the Gulf coast can watch the track of a hurricane along with the barometric pressure and come up with a landfall prediction equal to are better than any meteorologist. And by knowing the rate of speed one can approximate the time of landfall. How do you think meteoroloist come up with their predictions? By flipping a coin?

The meteorologists use high performance computers to run models to determine landfall, they don't just look at the radar and guess. When's the last time you watched the Weather Channel, 20 years ago?

It took them something like 23 days to release that video. Of course BP is going to try to cover it up. They knew independent scientist would have figured out a rough estimate in a day. Which they did. I don't think anyone would do anything different if they were running BP. Just considering they stand to lose BILLIONS of dollars here and a loss of somewhere around 20 percent of their stock price in just the past couple of weeks. We could end up kicking them out of the gulf when this is through. Would anyone else do anything different if you were in their shoes?

I am not a scientist but I knew by first look at the video it was way more then a gallon a second. Even if there is mud and gas mixed in with it. It has to make some difference to American people's opinion if they see it first hand right at the beginning of the disaster. I am just saying it was withheld because of a PR issue and we are a pretty reactionary type of people. It sounds better to me to soften the blow a little bit. Of course their only goal is profit spidey. They are a company, I don't know of many companies that are as successful as BP without the main goal being profit. All I am saying is it is expected of them to react this way and they will pay the consequences one way or the other by losing the money. The true problem is when public servants and whistle blowers have the only goal of profit. Thats what bothers me.

, and yes they're profit motivated as most corporations are, but at this time their concern is plugging up the leak.. after all this is oil that they could be selling to your dumbass, for a profit.

Their concern is preserving their profits. Simply allowing the oil to flow without doing anything about would cost them more in the long run in terms of lawsuits, fines, willingness of people to buy from them.

Lord I hope not all coonasses are as stupid as you are.

Lord I hope not all coonasses are as stupid as you are.

I'm not a coonass.

The meteorologists use high performance computers to run models to determine landfall, they don't just look at the radar and guess. When's the last time you watched the Weather Channel, 20 years ago?

Yes and with all their little toys they are no better at predicting landfall than they were 20 years ago. Like I said I've lived on this coast my entire life (40+ years), I've been through countless hurricanes I'm just as good are better at predicting landfall than most meteorologist. Oh and these "models" you speak of do nothing more than look at barametric pressure, jet stream and water temp to make a guess, hence the "cone of probability".

Who does the US government sue for a dry hole, if we nationalize? More importantly, who do WE sue if the government well pollutes?

Yeah. The government hiring thousands of attorneys to find ways to sue companies (when they have the power to make the most banal activity a crime) is really The Hallmark of a Free Market System.

Heh.

So you think regulation is the answer?

Or do you just not have an answer?

Wait, lemme guess your answer, its something along the lines of "trust the corporation", right?

Hey stupid!! Accidents happen no amount of regulations or lawsuits will ever change that fact!!

Proper regulation can make them far less frequent and devastating

You're arguing for making rape legal and letting people fire their guns into crowded theaters because it still happens sometimes and people shoot themselves in the face cleaning their rifles.

LOL, the whiny little punk just negged me and said this....

"That's what you get for cancelling my neg rep to amanda" -spidermantuba

Dude how old are you? HAHAHAHA!

Did you know if you post quotes from rep notes, it violates a rule in here. Have a nice vacation...
No, it doesn't. Rep notes are not protected PMs, although replies to them are.

The case was argued in the forums and can be found in the feedback sections

Forum List

Back