Student destroys 9/11 memorial flag display, citing US imperialism

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
What a bunch of assholes.

Student destroys 9/11 memorial flag display, citing U.S. imperialism | The Daily Caller

The flags symbolize each of the 2,977 people who died in the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. The College Republicans and Democrats have jointly planted the flags in a field on campus every year for the last decade.

The protesters — at least one of whom was a student — explained that they were “confiscating” the flags in order to take a stand against U.S. imperialism.

They also claimed the area was a Native American burial ground, and that planting flags there was disrespectful

my favorite quote:

“My intention was not to cause pain but to visibilize the necessity of honoring all human life and to help a friend heal from the violence of genocide that she carries with her on a daily basis as an indigenous person,” she wrote in a statement. “While the American flags on the Middlebury hillside symbolize to some the loss of innocent lives in New York, to others they represent centuries of bloody conquest and mass murder. As a settler on stolen land, I do not have the luxury of grieving without an eye to power. Three thousand flags is a lot, but the campus is not big enough to hold a marker for every life sacrificed in the history of American conquest and colonialism.”

While desecrating the US flag is allowed, it generally should be your own flag. Theft and vandalism are illegal.

Student destroys 9/11 memorial flag display, citing U.S. imperialism | The Daily Caller

The flags symbolize each of the 2,977 people who died in the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. The College Republicans and Democrats have jointly planted the flags in a field on campus every year for the last decade.

The protesters — at least one of whom was a student — explained that they were “confiscating” the flags in order to take a stand against U.S. imperialism.

They also claimed the area was a Native American burial ground, and that planting flags there was disrespectful

my favorite quote:

“My intention was not to cause pain but to visibilize the necessity of honoring all human life and to help a friend heal from the violence of genocide that she carries with her on a daily basis as an indigenous person,” she wrote in a statement. “While the American flags on the Middlebury hillside symbolize to some the loss of innocent lives in New York, to others they represent centuries of bloody conquest and mass murder. As a settler on stolen land, I do not have the luxury of grieving without an eye to power. Three thousand flags is a lot, but the campus is not big enough to hold a marker for every life sacrificed in the history of American conquest and colonialism.”

Not their flags, not their property. They need to be charged with theft.

my favorite quote:

Agreed.

my favorite quote:

Do they allow that at your school :lol::eusa_liar:

Yeah, take that bipartisan gesture that remembered 9/11! That'll show everyone how against imperialism I am.

Sucks 9/11 became a soapbox for asshats to create controversy. Burn your own flag

[MENTION][/MENTION]
I prefer to just fly them upside down.

At least that gesture has some meaning behind it. There's a clear purpose for flying the flag upside down. But burning a flag on 9/11 because of imperialism? It's just controversy baiting; your actions have no meaning in reference to your protest.

Also, when was the last time America decided to forcibly annex a foreign region? The 1800's?

[MENTION][/MENTION]
I prefer to just fly them upside down.

At least that gesture has some meaning behind it. There's a clear purpose for flying the flag upside down. But burning a flag on 9/11 because of imperialism? It's just controversy baiting; your actions have no meaning in reference to your protest.

Also, when was the last time America decided to forcibly annex a foreign region? The 1800's?

Sign of international distress. I think a good argument could be made that this place is in distress. I don't usually do that though.

Forum List

Back