Students find $40,000 in Thrift Store couch

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
New York roommates find $40,000 inside their $20 thrift store couch - NY Daily News

Three New Paltz, N.Y., roommates found piles of cash in a couch they picked up at a thrift shop for just $20, CBS New York reported.

Reese Werkhoven, Cally Guasti and Lara Russo were watching a movie together last month when they felt something weird in the cushions of their couch, which they bought at a Salvation Army about two months before.

Curious, Werkhoven stuck his hand under the sofa's arm. The State University of New York junior pulled out a plastic envelope. Inside: $700 in $20 bills.

"I almost peed," Werkhoven told the Little Rebellion, a student-run news site at SUNY New Paltz. "The most money I'd ever found in a couch was, like, fifty cents. Honestly, I'd be ecstatic to find just $5 in a couch."

The three began digging through the rest of the couch. They found several more envelopes containing $40,000 total.

They started thinking about what they would spend the cash on: vacations, student loans and a new car for Werkhoven's mom.

But before they could cash in their fortune, Russo found a name on one of the envelopes.

"We all agreed that we had to bring the money back to whoever it belonged to," Russo told the news site. "It's their money. We didn't earn it."

A day later, they matched the name on the envelope to a phone book listing. Werkoven called her.

"I'm like, 'I found something that I think is yours,' and she's like, 'What?!'" Werkhoven told CBS New York. "And I'm like, 'I found a couch,' and then She's like, 'oh my God, I left a lot of money in that couch.'"

The friends delivered the cash to the woman, who explained that she kept her savings — and her husband's savings — in the couch for 30 years.

After her husband died, the woman had back surgery. Thinking she was doing her mother a favor, the woman's daughter got rid of the old couch, which the woman slept on, and replaced it with a new bed.

The New York woman gave the three roommates $1,000 as a reward.

The roommates said they're lucky they could have helped.

"We almost didn't pick that couch," Russo told the Little Rebellion. "It's pretty ugly and smells, but it was the only couch that fit the right dimensions for our living room."

Last edited:
Whenever these type news items come up I'm baffled as to why anyone not involved in crime would have a huge amount of money in a shoe/couch/whatever that ends up at Goodwill.

I could see having some emergency cash stashed around the house, but what dumbfuck does 40k and just hopes they don't forget about it, get it stolen, have it burned up in a fire, etc. hell even a 1% interest rate at an online bank is better than what she did.

I hope she kicked those kids some kind of reward, being a stupid any amount of money is a big deal.

Whenever these type news items come up I'm baffled as to why anyone not involved in crime would have a huge amount of money in a shoe/couch/whatever that ends up at Goodwill.

I could see having some emergency cash stashed around the house, but what dumbfuck does 40k and just hopes they don't forget about it, get it stolen, have it burned up in a fire, etc. hell even a 1% interest rate at an online bank is better than what she did.

I hope she kicked those kids some kind of reward, being a stupid any amount of money is a big deal.

She gave them $1000

$1000 does not seem like much of a reward, but I have a feeling this will turn into one of those good karma stories

The kids did the right thing and they should be proud. It is a "feel good" story and I wouldn't be surprised if they find themselves with a brand new couch and anonymous people contributing towards their tuition

What a good news story all around!

I'd have kept the money.

The old woman needed it more than you

If she needed it she wouldn't have lost it.

Besides I would not have even bothered to find out who was stupid enough to lose 40 grand.

You're a real righteous citizen.

The story as I heard it, the cash was left to the woman by her husband before he died. She became rather ill and had to be hospitalized, and her daughter then gave away the couch to make room for a hospital bed for her mom. The daughter did not know about the money, but thankfully some decent people were the ones who found it, not some assclown typing on a keyboard.

The old woman needed it more than you

Besides I would not have even bothered to find out who was stupid enough to lose 40 grand.

The story as I heard it, the cash was left to the woman by her husband before he died. She became rather ill and had to be hospitalized, and her daughter then gave away the couch to make room for a hospital bed for her mom. The daughter did not know about the money, but thankfully some decent people were the ones who found it, not some assclown typing on a keyboard.

Yeah yeah. Tell me have you searched for the owner of every penny you've found on the street?

Yeah yeah. Tell me have you searched for the owner of every penny you've found on the street?

A penny is not $40,000

Losing a penny does not change your life, losing $40 k definitely does

Reminds me of the sugar bowl I once saw at a thrift store. It still had sugar in it.

Second-hand stores must not do a very thorough job of cleaning up their merchandise before they sell it. Who knows what other kinds of germs and bed bugs might have been in that couch.

This is a good story....
But..

I'm sure the Libs on the USMB are busy trying to work a tax angle on this wondering what sort of tax liability any of those involved are responsible for...

Libs see someone having money it's their duty to find a way to tax it.

It's a generational thing. Probably grew up not trusting banking institutions because of the '29 crash. Probably her parents instilled the mistrust in her. It was pretty common.

Don't blame her really...
I think my Bank pays me .00001 % interest on my savings account.

And charge me 20% on my credit card.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back