Subway founder: Obama has created oppresive regulatory environment

Anyone else see a pattern here? All of the successful entrepreneurs who went from rags to riches admit they wouldn't have been able to start or build their businesses in the current climate that Obama and the communist liberals have created....

Subway Founder: Subway Would Not Exist If Started Today Due to Government Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

fallacy :eusa_liar:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBqQ_cVUZ5Q&noredirect=1"]Jim Sinegal at the 2012 Democratic National Convention - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx4Co6ecI_Y"]CarMax Founder Austin Ligon at the 2012 Democratic National Convention - YouTube[/ame]

Ever wonder why big businesses support government regulations?

Nope. As Sinegal put it, "rules of the road"

“In Tampa last week, we heard all about job creators. But at our company, we recognize job creation requires time and investment and commitment to the long-term. It requires companies that plant and grow, not executives who reap and run.”

And, the founder of Subway has amassed a great fortune by producing fat and salt-laden, mass produced, artificially flavored sandwiches handed out by underpaid teenage workers which even the Earl of Sandwich would refuse.

What's your point?

But Jared Fogle lost over 100 pounds.

Actually Jard lost 245 pounds. Was it the Subway sandwiches or the fact he walked to and from his favorite Subway?
Here's Subways' disclaimer: ""The Subway diet, combined with a lot of walking, worked for Jared. We're not saying this is for everyone. You should check with your doctor before starting any diet program. But it worked for Jared.""---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle

In the end it was a combo of making the right selections off of Subway's menu and all the walking Jared did.

Because it's cheaper if America doesn't have health care. Let them die in the streets.

Liberals are not good for prosperity or non-government jobs. Face it. America has always had Health Care....the best in fact. So much so that leaders who crafted re-distributive, universal healthcare at the expense of their own country's economy, turned to America's health care, the best in the world.

One new regulation, one new cost, one new administrative burden doesn't break a company. Each one seems to make perfect sense, in a vacuum. It's when it's one after the other that the damage begins to take effect. And if a company doesn't know how much more is on the way, it's far more likely to take a conservative, defensive posture rather than spend money and take risks. Starting and operating a business is difficult enough.

I really don't think that's an unreasonable point.

And, the founder of Subway has amassed a great fortune by producing fat and salt-laden, mass produced, artificially flavored sandwiches handed out by underpaid teenage workers which even the Earl of Sandwich would refuse.

What's your point?

Actually Jard lost 245 pounds. Was it the Subway sandwiches or the fact he walked to and from his favorite Subway?
Here's Subways' disclaimer: ""The Subway diet, combined with a lot of walking, worked for Jared. We're not saying this is for everyone. You should check with your doctor before starting any diet program. But it worked for Jared.""---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle

In the end it was a combo of making the right selections off of Subway's menu and all the walking Jared did.

They wouldn't have to have that disclaimer if it wasn't for the "oppressive" FDA regulations :))

Last edited:
"It takes real ignorance to try to judge our past by today's standards, those people built a nation envied by the world with the best knowledge they had available and as knowledge was gained things changed. Now we are to the point of diminishing returns on regulations and most are put in place by bureaucrats trying to justify their jobs, not because there is a real need for them."

THESE WORDS SHOULD CARVED IN STONE AND DISPLAYED EVERYWHERE.

Thank yo, OKTexas!

Before you commission the carvers make sure you fix the typo (in bold above). OK

Whatever. I read the linked piece and found no specific regulation noted.

The company is thriving in the current environment. The regulatory morass that exists in the bubble ain't hurting Subway. That is the point.

Political bullshit.

Always been more of a mom and pop sandwich shop or Jersey Mikes myself. Nevertheless, Subway should have to worry more about competition vs. increasing regulation.

One new regulation, one new cost, one new administrative burden doesn't break a company. Each one seems to make perfect sense, in a vacuum. It's when it's one after the other that the damage begins to take effect. And if a company doesn't know how much more is on the way, it's far more likely to take a conservative, defensive posture rather than spend money and take risks. Starting and operating a business is difficult enough.

I really don't think that's an unreasonable point.

Can't regulate prosperity into an economy but you can regulate prosperity out of an economy. We are witnessing it.

Because it's cheaper if America doesn't have health care. Let them die in the streets.

People were not dying in the streets four years ago, and they were not dying in the streets eight years ago. Consequently, your comments are garbage.

Regulations cost money and regulations cost time. Both tend to increase the cost of getting into business and the cost of staying in business. Since the same regulations apply to small businesses and big businesses, it is easy to guess what a larger percentage of gross profits does to handicap small businesses as they attempt to compete with big businesses.

Most businesses today need to assign full time people just to ensure compliance with all of the federal, state, and local regulations. Most small businesses cannot eat that cost.

The cost or the time, many such as mine have very limited hours,to spend keeping uncle sam happy with ever increasing regulatory required paper trails.

People were not dying in the streets four years ago, and they were not dying in the streets eight years ago. Consequently, your comments are garbage.

Regulations cost money and regulations cost time. Both tend to increase the cost of getting into business and the cost of staying in business. Since the same regulations apply to small businesses and big businesses, it is easy to guess what a larger percentage of gross profits does to handicap small businesses as they attempt to compete with big businesses.

Most businesses today need to assign full time people just to ensure compliance with all of the federal, state, and local regulations. Most small businesses cannot eat that cost.

The cost or the time, many such as mine have very limited hours,to spend keeping uncle sam happy with ever increasing regulatory required paper trails.

Please elaborate. What specific new regulations are you being forced to deal with?

Ever wonder why big businesses support government regulations?

Nope. As Sinegal put it, "rules of the road"

“In Tampa last week, we heard all about job creators. But at our company, we recognize job creation requires time and investment and commitment to the long-term. It requires companies that plant and grow, not executives who reap and run.”

You don't question why big business likes regulation, and you claim to be in favor of small business?

By the way, your quote form the asshole just proves my point.

They wouldn't have to have that disclaimer if it wasn't for the "oppressive" FDA regulations :))

I bet you think you scored a point.

There are other weaknesses in his argument.

1. Are we supposed to believe that other countries can have universal health care AND still have franchise restaurants, and somehow, some way, America can't do it?

2. He started his restaurant in the 1960's. Certainly, a lot had changed between then and 2009 when Obama became president. So, I don't really see where it makes much sense to lay all the blame for his perceived ills on our regulatory system on a man who's been president for only 4 of the last 48 years.

When you have several hundred restaurants world wide, your name (the name of your business, to be exact) is well known. You can easily expand from 1200 to 2000, because people everywhere in the world know who you are and what your product is, regulations, or no regulations.

On the other hand, when you are just starting out and you are unknown to everyone except your parents, wife and kids you have nowhere to go if you are strangled by business killing Obama regulations.

That is his point.

And what are the Obama regulations that kill a guy starting a sub shop today?

Every time I hear the Nutter's going on about "Obama's" regulations killing small business, I think of a guy I knew up in business-friendly, solidly Republican Oklahoma. He ran a little rural convenience store and BBQ joint, but he closed it down and moved away.

Know why? First, the "free market" soft drink suppliers declined to stop at his store unless he bought a minimum amount, even though their trucks went right by there nearly every day. Next, the STATE health department, not Obama's federal government, came in and told him he'd have to spend multiple thousands of dollars on new refrigeration equipment, even though he'd been using what he had for years and it filled his needs just fine. They threatened to revoke his health license if he didn't comply.

So, he closed it. Now, there are NO grocery stores of any kind, anywhere along about a 40 mile stretch of highway and local residents have to drive to the county seat if they want a Coke or a sandwich.

One more example: The State of Texas, (we all know which party controls that government, don't we?) forced every commercial kitchen in the state to install bigger automatic dry fire extinguishers a few years ago. Overnight, the ones they had (which met the state standard) were suddenly insufficient. No new extinguisher? No health license. It cost our local VFW $2500 to meet the requirement. A lot of smaller restaurants simply closed down.

So..when I hear them babbling on about onerous, liberal, Obama, federal regulations, I have to laugh because they don't seem to be too upset about REPUBLICAN regulations which are doing the same thing. I guess that's alright, huh?

This has nothing to do with the founders statement that he couldn't do today what he did in 1965. You can't compare a thriving business with a fledgling company trying to make it in today's regulatory environment.

He couldn't do what he did in 1965 because the country wasn't saturated with fast food businesses in 1965.

Back in 1965 people were dirty, and it wasn't easy to buy 2-for-one Beef Sticks with your Slurpee.

Jan-Pro Franchising Int'l. Inc.
Commercial cleaning

7-Eleven Inc.
Convenience store

I bet you think you scored a point.

Sad, isn't it?

Forum List

Back