Suicide

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I'm putting this in the philosophy forum because the subject can be approached from different angles of law, religion, ethics etc.

To me it all boils down to the question:

Does a person have the absolute right to end his own life?

I happen to think it is the ultimate right to decide your own life or death.

Now that doesn't mean I would not try to convince an otherwise healthy person to reconsider but I also do not think I have the right to forcibly stop him either.

Then there is the issue of the terminally ill committing suicide which I again believe is their absolute right but I would not try to convince a terminally ill person not to commit suicide.

Your thoughts?

I'm putting this in the philosophy forum because the subject can be approached from different angles of law, religion, ethics etc.

Now that doesn't mean I would not try to convince an otherwise healthy person to reconsider but I also do not think I have the right to forcibly stop him either.

Then there is the issue of the terminally ill committing suicide which I again believe is their absolute right but I would not try to convince a terminally ill person not to commit suicide.

Your thoughts?
It's an incredibly selfish act but ultimately if you kill yourself that's not going to matter to you so :dunno:

If you're old and dying and want to go I believe you should have access to a method that makes it easy.

Your thoughts?
If they are in my presence, I have the absolute right to forcibly stop them, if I can. In that statement I am not including the terminally ill or chronically doomed to severe, unrelenting physical pain. The mentally ill and emotionally unstable can be helped. But I do recognize the limits of medicine and would not interfere in assisted suicide selected by patient, doctor and sometime supportive family.

It's an incredibly selfish act but ultimately if you kill yourself that's not going to matter to you so :dunno:

If you're old and dying and want to go I believe you should have access to a method that makes it easy.
Why is it selfish?

I could argue everything a person does is selfish in some way.

Do you believe that any person has the absolute right to end his own life?

If they are in my presence, I have the absolute right to forcibly stop them, if I can. In that statement I am not including the terminally ill or chronically doomed to severe, unrelenting physical pain. The mentally ill and emotionally unstable can be helped. But I do recognize the limits of medicine and would not interfere in assisted suicide selected by patient, doctor and sometime supportive family.
Why do you assume a person is mentally ill if they don;\'t want to live anymore?

I do not think anyone has the right to force their will on another person. So where do you draw the line at using force to make people submit to your will?

Why do you assume a person is mentally ill if they don;\'t want to live anymore?

I do not think anyone has the right to force their will on another person. So where do you draw the line at using force to make people submit to your will?
I never said I did. Those are your words.

Biblically speaking, God gave us 'Free Will', so it is my opinion that it would be
between that person and God.
I would not judge anyone who did commit suicide, there must be the weight of the world
on his/her shoulders to consider it.
But, I wonder if they take in consideration the damage he/she will put on the family and friends
he/she leaves behind?

Last edited:
Yes, everyone has a "right" to end their own life. But IMO there is more to consider. For instance, I knew three young people all under 20 who committed suicide. One was a girl who was so emotionally upset over being dumped by her boyfriend she grabbed her Dad's gun and blew her brains out. Did she have a right to do that? Yes. Would I have stopped her if I had the chance? Absolutely.

Some have made a good point about the damage people who commit suicide leave for others.

As to a "Right" ... A person doesn't have to ask what their Rights are, as they either have them or they don't.
If after seeking help and/or understanding what they want ... If they want to commit suicide, you aren't going to stop them.

If you try, you are just going to end up making a drugged-up waste of space in a mental hospital.

There’s a big difference between living and being alive.

That being said, a person should have the right to check out on his own terms when he’s had enough.

Democrats are all about euthanasia, as they are about anything that helps deplete the carbon producing population levels, just like they support abortion as well.

Now as for God and right and wrong, well, who cares about that these days? The country seems to be doing swimmingly living life apart from such a God.

LMAO!

Some have made a good point about the damage people who commit suicide leave for others.

As to a "Right" ... A person doesn't have to ask what their Rights are, as they either have them or they don't.
If after seeking help and/or understanding what they want ... If they want to commit suicide, you aren't going to stop them.

If you try, you are just going to end up making a drugged-up waste of space in a mental hospital.

Not necessarily. I have been put in the situation to council suicidal people twice. One, I personally delivered to the treatment facility, against their will. I do not know how that one turned out. I do know both situations were brought on from recent trauma, on physical, one emotional, and know these to be temporary, with the right treatment and counseling, above my level. Like most other medical training I have received, my skill and training do not extend beyond emergency first aide.

Democrats are all about euthanasia, as they are about anything that helps deplete the carbon producing population levels, just like they support abortion as well.

Now as for God and right and wrong, well, who cares about that these days? The country seems to be doing swimmingly living life apart from such a God.

LMAO!
MY BODY, MY CHOICE, comes to mind from the majority of Republicans. I'm for letting people with uncontrollable pain end end their life in a most controlled atmosphere by a doctor. The rest of them commit suicide who are depressed or Marathon Mikes description.

Your thoughts?
I didn't get a choice when I came here but I sure as hell get to choose how I leave. Yep we get to make our own choice. My grandmother died of Parkinson's desease I will not go out that way. There are certainly things out there worst than death it should be the individual choice as to whether or not the individual has to live with them.

Why is it selfish?

I could argue everything a person does is selfish in some way.

Do you believe that any person has the absolute right to end his own life?
There are many aspects to your question. Selfish? That depends. Does this person leave anyone behind that would suffer from the act--children, spouse, parents? Is the act itself going to create an unsafe situation for innocents around the person? The way in which the act is accomplished. Is the person going to try suicide by police and in so doing create issues for the officer? This is just scraping the surface and does not even attempt to address end of life decisions for the terminal. It is a complicated issue.

Your thoughts?

Are you waiting for your government's permission to put one in your face? Perhaps you're seeking this board's approval to go to sleep permanent like in the dirt? Rights of the individual cease to exist when external forces must be entreated to provide or deny them. Much the same as anyone else human, you are a cosmos unto yourself—a unique universe of cellular grey matter, red sloppy meat and bone. If you choose to aspire to become the ultimate coward, then no one can stop you. Something, however, hints that you just want to talk about it not act on it. A coward within a coward; a yellow streak a million miles wide. Living is hard, dying is easy—the ultimate cop-out. I for one cannot stand the stink of the human breed too cowardly to stand up publicly and proclaim loudly what is right from what is wrong, all the while celebrating their commitment to allow others to do wrong in darkness. That's not enlightenment. That's a craven's haven. Roost.

Are you waiting for your government's permission to put one in your face? Perhaps you're seeking this board's approval to go to sleep permanent like in the dirt? Rights of the individual cease to exist when external forces must be entreated to provide or deny them. Much the same as anyone else human, you are a cosmos unto yourself—a unique universe of cellular grey matter, red sloppy meat and bone. If you choose to aspire to become the ultimate coward, then no one can stop you. Something, however, hints that you just want to talk about it not act on it. A coward within a coward; a yellow streak a million miles wide. Living is hard, dying is easy—the ultimate cop-out. I for one cannot stand the stink of the human breed too cowardly to stand up publicly and proclaim loudly what is right from what is wrong, all the while celebrating their commitment to allow others to do wrong in darkness. That's not enlightenment. That's a craven's haven. Roost.
I have no desire to commit suicide.

I created this thread because I have been reading about suicide in other threads, mostly in gun related topics.

And your attempt at psychoanalysis is an utter failure.

Forum List

Back