Sulfur Dioxide

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
About 99% of the sulfur dioxide in air comes from human sources. The main source of sulfur dioxide in the air is industrial activity that processes materials that contain sulfur, eg the generation of electricity from coal, oil or gas that contains sulfur. Some mineral ores also contain sulfur, and sulfur dioxide is released when they are processed. In addition, industrial activities that burn fossil fuels containing sulfur can be important sources of sulfur dioxide. Sulfur dioxide is also present in motor vehicle emissions. In the past, motor vehicle exhaust was an important, but not the main source of sulfur dioxide in air. However, this is no longer the case.

I have a feeling this is what we should be talking about instead of global warming/cooling.

I have a feeling this shit causes Alzheimers or Cancer or BOTH! Where are the bees? Could it be this shit?

Sulfur dioxide is toxic, has caused acid rain and is a serious air pollutant (though US emissions have been declining steadily for years). It does not cause Alzheimers or any form of cancer. I suggest you read some reliable information before proceeding. Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_dioxide

Last edited:
So, man is the bad guy yet again huh? You guys really are clueless. So, here's the deal for you scientific illiterates... Mankind produces WORLDWIDE, around 100 million tons of SO2.

There are single volcano's that produce 365 million tons per year. Yes, that's right boys and girls. Volcanic activity is THE dominant producer of SiO2. Best get yourselves back to the school books because this is a FAILING report. And I mean really, really badly. You clowns aren't even on the fucking continent, much less the ballpark.

"The effects of SO2 on people and the environment vary widely depending on (1) the amount of gas a volcano emits into the atmosphere; (2) whether the gas is injected into the troposphere or stratosphere; and (3) the regional or global wind and weather pattern that disperses the gas. Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is a colorless gas with a pungent odor that irritates skin and the tissues and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and throat. Sulfur dioxide chiefly affects upper respiratory tract and bronchi. The World Health Organization recommends a concentration of no greater than 0.5 ppm over 24 hours for maximum exposure. A concentration of 6-12 ppm can cause immediate irritation of the nose and throat; 20 ppm can cause eye irritation; 10,000 ppm will irritate moist skin within minutes.

"Emission rates of SO2 from an active volcano range from <20 tonnes/day to >10 million tonnes/day according to the style of volcanic activity and type and volume of magma involved. For example, the large explosive eruption of Mount Pinatubo on 15 June 1991 expelled 3-5 km3 of dacite magma and injected about 20 million metric tons of SO2 into the stratosphere. The sulfur aerosols resulted in a 0.5-0.6°C cooling of the Earth's surface in the Northern Hemisphere. The sulfate aerosols also accelerated chemical reactions that, together with the increased stratospheric chlorine levels from human-made chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) pollution, destroyed ozone and led to some of the lowest ozone levels ever observed in the atmosphere.

At Kilauea Volcano, the recent effusive eruption of about 0.0005 km3/day (500,000 m3) of basalt magma releases about 2,000 tonnes of SO2 into the lower troposphere. Downwind from the vent, acid rain and air pollution is a persistent health problem when the volcano is erupting."

Volcanic Gases and Their Effects

visible_clickable_map2j.jpg

Global Sulfur Dioxide Monitoring Home Page

Sulfur dioxide is toxic, has caused acid rain and is a serious air pollutant (though US emissions have been declining steadily for years). It does not cause Alzheimers or any form of cancer. I suggest you read some reliable information before proceeding. Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_dioxide

I said I have a feeling. I didn't suggest I have any proof of it. I just wonder why so many more people are coming down with Alzheimers. I didn't see a lot of that when I was a kid but now it seems like everyones getting dementia.

So, man is the bad guy yet again huh? You guys really are clueless. So, here's the deal for you scientific illiterates... Mankind produces WORLDWIDE, around 100 million tons of SiO2.

There are single volcano's that produce 365 million tons per year. Yes, that's right boys and girls. Volcanic activity is THE dominant producer of SiO2. Best get yourselves back to the school books because this is a FAILING report. And I mean really, really badly. You clowns aren't even on the fucking continent, much less the ballpark.

"The effects of SO2 on people and the environment vary widely depending on (1) the amount of gas a volcano emits into the atmosphere; (2) whether the gas is injected into the troposphere or stratosphere; and (3) the regional or global wind and weather pattern that disperses the gas. Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is a colorless gas with a pungent odor that irritates skin and the tissues and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and throat. Sulfur dioxide chiefly affects upper respiratory tract and bronchi. The World Health Organization recommends a concentration of no greater than 0.5 ppm over 24 hours for maximum exposure. A concentration of 6-12 ppm can cause immediate irritation of the nose and throat; 20 ppm can cause eye irritation; 10,000 ppm will irritate moist skin within minutes.

"Emission rates of SO2 from an active volcano range from <20 tonnes/day to >10 million tonnes/day according to the style of volcanic activity and type and volume of magma involved. For example, the large explosive eruption of Mount Pinatubo on 15 June 1991 expelled 3-5 km3 of dacite magma and injected about 20 million metric tons of SO2 into the stratosphere. The sulfur aerosols resulted in a 0.5-0.6°C cooling of the Earth's surface in the Northern Hemisphere. The sulfate aerosols also accelerated chemical reactions that, together with the increased stratospheric chlorine levels from human-made chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) pollution, destroyed ozone and led to some of the lowest ozone levels ever observed in the atmosphere.

At Kilauea Volcano, the recent effusive eruption of about 0.0005 km3/day (500,000 m3) of basalt magma releases about 2,000 tonnes of SO2 into the lower troposphere. Downwind from the vent, acid rain and air pollution is a persistent health problem when the volcano is erupting."

We're talking about Sulfur dioxide

About 99% of the sulfur dioxide in air comes from human sources.

Re read my original post.

So, man is the bad guy yet again huh? You guys really are clueless. So, here's the deal for you scientific illiterates... Mankind produces WORLDWIDE, around 100 million tons of SiO2.

We're talking about Sulfur dioxide

About 99% of the sulfur dioxide in air comes from human sources.

Re read my original post.

That's what my post is all about silly person, SO2 is the scientific shorthand method of naming it. Volcanic activity is THE primary source of SiO2 emissions. BY A HUGE MARGIN!

I said I have a feeling. I didn't suggest I have any proof of it. I just wonder why so many more people are coming down with Alzheimers. I didn't see a lot of that when I was a kid but now it seems like everyones getting dementia.

I have a feeling that everyone around you is normal, but you're the demented one.

Stop posting OP's without any evidence to support your opinion, and eat your jello.

Well, I think that has a few causes: people are living longer, people are talking about it more than they used to and we know a great deal more about the various conditions than we used to. Not long ago, anyone that suffered an age-related cognitive disorder was simply labeled "senile" and that was the end of it. Now there's Alzheimer's, TIA's outright strokes, dementia and who know what all.

The point I wanted to make, though, was that sulfur dioxide is a VERY common and well-known compound. I am quite certain that it was tested as the cause for a wealth of disorders and that if it were the cause of cancer or Alzheimer's, we would have heard about it decades ago.

Also, as to the source of sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere, that Wikipedia article says:

Production
Sulfur dioxide is primarily produced for sulfuric acid manufacture (see contact process). In the United States in 1979, 23.6 million tonnes of sulfur dioxide was used in this way, compared with 150 thousand tonnes used for other purposes. Most sulfur dioxide is produced by the combustion of elemental sulfur. Some sulfur dioxide is also produced by roasting pyrite and other sulfide ores in air.

and would seem to support your statement. It is very hard for some people to believe that man could produce more of anything than the world's volcanos, but there you go.

BTW, nice to meet you. My apologies if I was harsher than I should have been. This can be a confrontational hangout.

I suggest that everyone take note that sulfur dioxide (SO2) is NOT a sulfate(SO4) which is what volcanoes produce by the butt-ton-load.

And, from the Wikipedia article on sulfur dioxide, the following table give US SO2 emissions (JUST US emissions), which, last time I checked, would NOT be volcanic. I'm impressed that Pinatubo released 29 million tons of sulfates in a single eruption, but you don't get a Pinatubo-sized eruption all that often (thank goodness).

Year SO2
1970 31,161,000 short tons (28.3 Mt)
1980 25,905,000 short tons (23.5 Mt)
1990 23,678,000 short tons (21.5 Mt)
1996 18,859,000 short tons (17.1 Mt)
1997 19,363,000 short tons (17.6 Mt)
1998 19,491,000 short tons (17.7 Mt)
1999 18,867,000 short tons (17.1 Mt)

Current Chinese emissions are on the order of 29 million tons, so there's your Pinatubo right there.

Last edited:

Because [MENTION=11281]sealybobo[/MENTION] we are living longer and we are eating more processed food, which is really bad to clog up our arties and veins.
I know about it because my Uncle died of it.
List of Processed Foods to Avoid | LIVESTRONG.COM all need to eat more natural foods and stay away from processed foods.

So, man is the bad guy yet again huh? You guys really are clueless. So, here's the deal for you scientific illiterates... Mankind produces WORLDWIDE, around 100 million tons of SO2.

From your own link;

. . . Aura . . .

OMI measurements show a decrease in SO2 amounts over the Eastern United States

The Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) data confirm a substantial reduction in sulfur dioxide (SO2 ) values around the largest US coal power plants as a result of the implementation of SO2 pollution control measures.

The figure shows average SO2 values measured by OMI on the NASA Aura spacecraft for the periods 2005-2007 and 2008-2010 over the Eastern US where the majority of large SO2 sources are located. Scientists use this information to identify anthropogenic sources of SO2 and to estimate their emission rates. The greatest values are in violet; the lowest in green. Yellow to violet colors correspond to statistically significant enhancements in SO2 pollution in the vicinity of the largest SO2 emitting coal-burning power plants indicated by the black dots.

Previous use of space-based SO2 retrievals has been limited to monitoring plumes from volcanic eruptions and detecting anthropogenic emissions from large source regions as in China. A new spatial filtration technique allows the detection of individual pollution sources in Canada and the US.

There are no volcanoes in the Eastern United States.

20111021a.jpg

I suggest that everyone take note that sulfur dioxide (SO2) is NOT a sulfate(SO4) which is what volcanoes produce by the butt-ton-load.

And, from the Wikipedia article on sulfur dioxide, the following table give US SO2 emissions (JUST US emissions), which, last time I checked, would NOT be volcanic. I'm impressed that Pinatubo released 29 million tons of sulfates in a single eruption, but you don't get a Pinatubo-sized eruption all that often (thank goodness).

Year SO2

Current Chinese emissions are on the order of 29 million tons, so there's your Pinatubo right there.

Yes, but if you care to look at the map I provided those are all current volcanic emissions. They produce orders of magnitude more SO2 than human emissions.

Year SO2

Yes, but if you care to look at the map I provided those are all current volcanic emissions. They produce orders of magnitude more SO2 than human emissions.

I looked at the map you provided. Interesting stuff. I went to the Philippines and found a value of 1.37 Dobson units. That means that in an 8 kilometer column of air, there was enough sulfur dioxide to make a layer at the surface 13.7 MICRONS thick. I also see NO distinction being made between anthropogenic and volcanic SO2 and can think of no way the AURA satellite could make such a distinction.

From your own link;

. . . Aura . . .

The Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) data confirm a substantial reduction in sulfur dioxide (SO2 ) values around the largest US coal power plants as a result of the implementation of SO2 pollution control measures.

The figure shows average SO2 values measured by OMI on the NASA Aura spacecraft for the periods 2005-2007 and 2008-2010 over the Eastern US where the majority of large SO2 sources are located. Scientists use this information to identify anthropogenic sources of SO2 and to estimate their emission rates. The greatest values are in violet; the lowest in green. Yellow to violet colors correspond to statistically significant enhancements in SO2 pollution in the vicinity of the largest SO2 emitting coal-burning power plants indicated by the black dots.

Previous use of space-based SO2 retrievals has been limited to monitoring plumes from volcanic eruptions and detecting anthropogenic emissions from large source regions as in China. A new spatial filtration technique allows the detection of individual pollution sources in Canada and the US.

20111021a.jpg

Yes, I know. The red are the current volcanic emissions. Did those escape your attention? You'll notice a few man made sources and a whole shitload of volcanic. That's the point, SO2 is predominantly a volcanic gas.

From your own link;

. . . Aura . . .

20111021a.jpg

Yes, I know. The red are the current volcanic emissions. Did those escape your attention? You'll notice a few man made sources and a whole shitload of volcanic. That's the point, SO2 is predominantly a volcanic gas.

SO2 in the USA is predominantly man made which was my point.

From your own link;

. . . Aura . . .

20111021a.jpg

SO2 in the USA is predominantly man made which was my point.

But SO2 in the WORLD is predominantly volcanic which is the point I was making, which refutes the comment that sealybobo was making.

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/~dstevens/Presentations/Papers/stevenson_gssp03.pdf

Sulphur occurs in Earth’s atmosphere as a variety of compounds, in both gaseous and
aerosol forms, and has a range of natural and anthropogenic sources. The life cycles and
atmospheric burdens of these compounds are determined by a combination of physical,
chemical and biological processes. Understanding the global S-cycle is important for
many reasons. Most sulphur enters the atmosphere as gaseous sulphur dioxide (SO2), a
dangerous air pollutant. Sulphur dioxide has a lifetime in the atmosphere of about a day,
before being deposited to the surface or oxidised to sulphate (SO4) aerosol. In the gas
phase, SO2 oxidation occurs by reaction with hydroxyl radicals (OH), to form sulphuric
acid (H2SO4). Sulphuric acid is hygroscopic, and rapidly condenses, either forming new
aerosols, or adding to existing ones. Sulphur dioxide gas also partitions into the aqueous
phase (in cloud droplets or pre-existing aerosols), where it reacts with dissolved hydrogen
peroxide (H2O2) or ozone (O3) to form SO4. Sulphate is a major component of fine
aerosol particles (PM10 and PM2.5: particulate matter less than 10 mm or 2.5 mm in
diameter), which can penetrate deep into the lungs, and are harmful to health. Sulphate in
precipitation is an important determinant of its acidity; at high levels it causes ‘acid rain’,
which can have devastating effects on sensitive ecosystems. Sulphate aerosols also affect
Earth’s radiation balance (and hence climate) through the direct scattering of sunlight
(Charlson et al., 1992), and also indirectly via modification of cloud albedoes (Twomey,
1977) and lifetimes (Jones et al., 2001), influencing both radiation and the hydrological
cycle (Penner et al., 2001). These links between atmospheric sulphur, climate, and the
environment assume an even greater relevance since global anthropogenic emissions (60-
100 Mt(S) yr-1) currently account for about 70% of all sulphur emissions,
the remainder
emanating from oceanic plankton (13-36 Mt(S) yr-1), volcanoes (6-20 Mt(S) yr-1),
biomass burning (1-6 Mt(S) yr-1), and land biota and soils (0.4-5.6 Mt(S) yr-1) (Penner et
al., 2001). On a regional scale, and in particular over N.E. America, Europe, and S.E.
Asia, the anthropogenic fraction is much higher.

This seems to be a pretty definitive article on the sources of SO2 and other sulpher compounds in the atmosphere, and there effects on humans.

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/~dstevens/Presentations/Papers/stevenson_gssp03.pdf

A global 3-D chemistry-transport model has been applied to study the atmospheric
sulphur cycle, and in particular the volcanic component. The model is in general
agreement with previous studies of the global S budget. We find that volcanic emissions
constitute 10% of the present-day global SO2 source to the atmosphere, but form 26% of
the SO2 burden, and 14% of the sulphate aerosol burden.
Two previous modelling studies
suggested the volcanic fraction of sulphate was 18% and 35%, from sources representing
7% and 14%, respectively, of the global total SO2 emission. The results are dependent
upon various assumptions about volcanic emissions (magnitude, geographical location,
altitude), the global distribution of oxidants, and the physical processes of dry and wet
deposition. Because of this dependence upon poorly constrained parameters, it is unclear
which modelling study is closest to the truth.

Hmmmmmmmmmm............ Interesting indeed.

Models, models, models. And not an actual measurement anywhere to be found.....

Forum List

Back