Supreme Court hears arguments on Trump's Tax Records

I would like every poster who feels it is imperative to see Trumps tax records to post theirs here. There is no legal requirement for you to do so you have done nothing illegal as far as we know even so if you have nothing to hide no reason not to post them that is logic being used for wanting to see Trumps. I look forward to seeing people put their records where their mouth is except they won’t.
What you fail to see is the difference between a private citizen and a politician with executive powers. Except for Trump, everybody running for president since the 1970's has released their tax returns. All presidents since the 1970's except for Trump has put their assets into a blind trust.

This was to ensure that their political decisions would not be based on personal financial gain.

There is no current law that requires a presidential candidate to release their taxes. So in that regard there is no difference between a private citizen or a politician running for office. Until that changes, then no one running needs to be required to show their taxes.

Now, Congress has a wide latitude on subpoenas however the issue in front of the Supreme Court is asking a third party to turnover documents pertaining to activity of a President, prior to them becoming President. This would seem like Congress is making a power grab and asking for information outside of their powers. We will see what happens but this could maybe be a 7-2 decision in favor of Trump.
Once reason is Trump keeps promoting his businesses while in public office.
I've seen Trumps returns and so should you.

Law professor says founders would have wanted his returns released.

That's great, but it unless it is a law, he is under no obligation to show them. So, until a law has been passed, there is no legal standing on forcing him to show his returns.
k5hgar1ccbi11.jpg
What would it hurt to release the records. You want to be elected every last aspect of your finances should be made public.

Then why is there no law that requires it?

From the link:

The US Supreme Court has heard arguments on whether President Donald Trump should be allowed to keep his financial records secret, in a major showdown over presidential powers.

Mr Trump declines to share documents that could shed light on his fortune and the work of his family company.

Two congressional committees and New York prosecutors demand the release of his tax returns and other information.

Mr Trump's private lawyers argue he enjoys total immunity while in office.

The judges will hear the cases remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Supreme Court has a 5-4 conservative majority and includes two Trump appointees - Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh.

The rule of law, and a guiding principle in our nation's jurisprudence is no man is above the law. The efficacy of the Supreme Court justices to dispense justice will be judged in this matter. If they decide in favor of President Trump, it will give carte blanche to him, and to every future POTUS.

So the House can harass a President with nothing out of bounds? Doesn't that give one branch of government more power than another? The House has tried to oust the President by impeaching him, the Democrats tried to nullify the Electoral College by wanting a to convene a meeting with the College to convince them to vote for Hillary, something that had never happened before. I am not a big fan of Trump nor Obama however I believe the House is trying to run the entire country by immobilizing the President's office by throw legal after legal after legal challenges.

To me it is harassment and if they win, lookout when the next Democrat becomes President and the House is Republican because this type of harassment will not be forgotten. What goes around, comes around.

Well, to you it is harassment, we'll let the Supreme Court decide if you are correct. The fact is, if a 5-4 decision agrees with you, it will be landmark case and destroy the principle of 230 years, that is the separation of powers.

You have two cases, the one for New York and the one for Congress. New York will go 5-4 Trump, the House case may lose 6-3 or 7-2.

Never before has Congress requested documents from a President, that were before he was elected. This is giving Congress a lot of power. Trump isn’t even in possession of the said documents. That was very concerning to Sotomeyer because the documents are going to be used in a legislative matter, which also concerns her.

Time will tell.

There is no doubt IF the SC rules it will be a landmark case. Since the matter was before the court today, we won't learn for several months, unless of course, the SC Punts.

I could see the SC punting. I think they are more i Kelly to punt the New York case. It is interesting, if the law required that candidates reveal their taxes, then I’d have a different position. My issue is changing rules in the middle of the game. Thanks for the the good debate, I appreciate it.

Is Congress saying the President is refusing to honor a Congressional subpoena? There is a law about that, I believe. But the Congress has to show good cause to want the documents, and they haven't got it, imo.

The ruling should be a slam dunk against Trump. No one is above the law. Time to see those tax returns Donald. Gosh, can you imagine the money laundering?
Trump once bragged he could make money by running for president.
But he probably couldn't manage that without leaving evidence behind.
His tax returns seem like a logical place to start:

Supreme court grills Trump lawyers over president's unreleased tax returns

"Elena Kagan, like Sotomayor an Obama appointee, told Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow a 'fundamental precept of our constitutional order is that the president is not above the law'...."

"Trump did not release his tax returns during the 2016 election and has not done so since, despite promising to do so...."

"Democrats in Congress are attempting to establish whether Trump is breaking ethics laws and constitutional safeguards against profiting from the presidency.

"The New York prosecutor Cyrus Vance Jr wants to find out if hush money payments to women who claimed affairs with Trump involved illegal business practices"
So, if Trump is supposed to be immune to any prosecution, and he's above the law, then why is the non-existent Obamagate being brought up by Trump then?

Is Congress saying the President is refusing to honor a Congressional subpoena? There is a law about that, I believe. But the Congress has to show good cause to want the documents, and they haven't got it, imo.
Campaign finance laws being broken is a great start.

Trump also said he would release his taxes but was waiting on the audit. He never sent them in.

He just like every other American citizen has the right to be secure in his person and his papers. That means his taxes are none of yours or anyone else's fucking business. It's just that simple.

Tell that to Al Capone*** and these other persons convicted of Tax Fraud:

***Assistant Attorney General Mabel Walker Willebrandt recognized that mob figures publicly led lavish lifestyles yet never filed tax returns, and thus could be convicted of tax evasion without requiring hard evidence to get testimony about their other crimes. She tested this approach by prosecuting a South Carolina bootlegger, Manley Sullivan.[70] In 1927, the Supreme Court ruled in United States v. Sullivan that the approach was legally sound: illegally earned income was subject to income tax; Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. rejected the argument that the Fifth Amendment protected criminals from reporting illegal income.[71]
No one knows Trump is a criminal.
Trump was fined $25 million for stealing $40 million dollars for a fake university, and paid a $2 million dollar fine for stealing money from a charity that was supposed to go to kids with cancer. And I'm just getting started.

From the link:

The US Supreme Court has heard arguments on whether President Donald Trump should be allowed to keep his financial records secret, in a major showdown over presidential powers.

Mr Trump declines to share documents that could shed light on his fortune and the work of his family company.

Two congressional committees and New York prosecutors demand the release of his tax returns and other information.

The judges will hear the cases remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Supreme Court has a 5-4 conservative majority and includes two Trump appointees - Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh.

The rule of law, and a guiding principle in our nation's jurisprudence is no man is above the law. The efficacy of the Supreme Court justices to dispense justice will be judged in this matter. If they decide in favor of President Trump, it will give carte blanche to him, and to every future POTUS.
The ruling should be a slam dunk against Trump. No one is above the law. Time to see those tax returns Donald. Gosh, can you imagine the money laundering?
How is not turning over tax returns you were never required to turnover make anyone above the law?
Because Trump is already implicated in tax evasion, and breaking campaign finance laws.

Campaign finance laws being broken is a great start.
But don't you have to have some evidence of that before issuing a subpoena? I don't know, I'm just asking.

From the link:

How is not turning over tax returns you were never required to turnover make anyone above the law?
Because Trump is already implicated in tax evasion, and breaking campaign finance laws.
Tax evasion because Stone did? Breaking campaign finance laws because he wrote a check to Stormy?

Look, it won't surprise me if they find Trump did all sorts of illegal shit during his campaign. He plays to win, not by the rules. It's obvious with the June '16 Trump Tower meeting, paying off Stormy, the Ukraine affair, etc. etc. I'm sure he did a lot more. But it's going to have to wait 'til he's out of office, and then.....campaign finance violations aren't going to put him in jail, are they? Once he's out of office, let the guy fade into history like a bad nightmare. Don't keep parading this shit in front of us. It will be time for us to forget him. Enough.

From the link:

Tax evasion because Stone did? Breaking campaign finance laws because he wrote a check to Stormy?

Look, it won't surprise me if they find Trump did all sorts of illegal shit during his campaign. He plays to win, not by the rules. It's obvious with the June '16 Trump Tower meeting, paying off Stormy, the Ukraine affair, etc. etc. I'm sure he did a lot more. But it's going to have to wait 'til he's out of office, and then.....campaign finance violations aren't going to put him in jail, are they? Once he's out of office, let the guy fade into history like a bad nightmare. Don't keep parading this shit in front of us. It will be time for us to forget him. Enough.

Sorry, not enough. Trump is not only corrupt and a damn liar, he is continuing to put people in harms way.

Very interesting back and forth between the justices and the lawyers.

It was also interesting that Clarence Thomas has been asking questions in every case that has been broadcast live. This is a guy who is famous for not asking any questions for a full decade!

Thomas's questions were bizarre in the Mazars case. He asked the House lawyer when was the first time Congress subpoenaed a president. Amazingly, the lawyer had the answer. He described the probe by Congress against George Washington which sought to determine who was responsible for a military loss against native Americans.

Washington fully cooperated and gave Congress everything they asked for.

This answer did not satisfy Thomas because Congress did not issue a subpoena. There was no such thing back then. So then he asked the House lawyer when was the first time an actual subpoena was issued by Congress toward a witness.

Why the hell that mattered is beyond me. It was a truly bizarre question and the lawyer did not have the answer. However, he did tell Thomas which document he had submitted to the court which would have the answer. The man certainly earned his money today.

From the link:

Sorry, not enough. Trump is not only corrupt and a damn liar, he is continuing to put people in harms way.

Don't vote for him.

From the link:

It is possible Trump has also been laundering money for Russians. That's a serious crime.

Forum List

Back