Supreme Court hears arguments on Trump's Tax Records

What would it hurt to release the records. You want to be elected every last aspect of your finances should be made public.
His financial statements to the FEC should be sufficient.
Nope. Not even close. You clearly do not understand the nature of the investigations.
What are they investigating, then? In simple terms.
The House has two cases which have been combined into one. That's Trump v. Mazars. The House is seeking Trump's tax records so they can investigate Michael Cohen's claims that Trump lied about the values of his assets with insurance companies and the IRS. That is why Admiral Rockwell Tory's notion that Trump's FEC filings should be enough is so patently ridiculous and exposes his ignorance.

The second House investigation is into Deutche Bank and Capital One laundering money, with Trump participating in the scheme. The House is seeking the records of those banks. These are the "third parties" you keep hearing references to in the arguments today. Trump is trying to block Congress from accessing the banks' records.

Finally, there is a third investigation, Trump v. Vance. That is a case by the state of New York which is investigating Trump's payoffs to McDougal and Daniels. They want access to Trump's tax records.

So let me ask you, what did you think of Sotomeyer’s questions surrounding her believing Congress might be out of bounds with the President because the President does not have the documents and that this is investigating the President, before he was President and it has no legislative value?

The NY case I think has some merit, no so sure on the Congressional cases.

I would like every poster who feels it is imperative to see Trumps tax records to post theirs here. There is no legal requirement for you to do so you have done nothing illegal as far as we know even so if you have nothing to hide no reason not to post them that is logic being used for wanting to see Trumps. I look forward to seeing people put their records where their mouth is except they won’t.
What you fail to see is the difference between a private citizen and a politician with executive powers. Except for Trump, everybody running for president since the 1970's has released their tax returns. All presidents since the 1970's except for Trump has put their assets into a blind trust.

This was to ensure that their political decisions would not be based on personal financial gain.

There is no current law that requires a presidential candidate to release their taxes. So in that regard there is no difference between a private citizen or a politician running for office. Until that changes, then no one running needs to be required to show their taxes.

Now, Congress has a wide latitude on subpoenas however the issue in front of the Supreme Court is asking a third party to turnover documents pertaining to activity of a President, prior to them becoming President. This would seem like Congress is making a power grab and asking for information outside of their powers. We will see what happens but this could maybe be a 7-2 decision in favor of Trump.
Once reason is Trump keeps promoting his businesses while in public office.
I've seen Trumps returns and so should you.

Law professor says founders would have wanted his returns released.
Lol. I got to hand it to that guy he doesn't even know that the founders did not even have any idea of tax returns. That's just funny as hell.
funny as hell you didnt bother to read it:

“The Founders worried about presidents shielding their financial corruption and misusing the Treasury to hold on to power. A court faithful to their vision will rule against Trump’s extreme arguments "

I would like every poster who feels it is imperative to see Trumps tax records to post theirs here. There is no legal requirement for you to do so you have done nothing illegal as far as we know even so if you have nothing to hide no reason not to post them that is logic being used for wanting to see Trumps. I look forward to seeing people put their records where their mouth is except they won’t.
What you fail to see is the difference between a private citizen and a politician with executive powers. Except for Trump, everybody running for president since the 1970's has released their tax returns. All presidents since the 1970's except for Trump has put their assets into a blind trust.

This was to ensure that their political decisions would not be based on personal financial gain.

There is no current law that requires a presidential candidate to release their taxes. So in that regard there is no difference between a private citizen or a politician running for office. Until that changes, then no one running needs to be required to show their taxes.

Now, Congress has a wide latitude on subpoenas however the issue in front of the Supreme Court is asking a third party to turnover documents pertaining to activity of a President, prior to them becoming President. This would seem like Congress is making a power grab and asking for information outside of their powers. We will see what happens but this could maybe be a 7-2 decision in favor of Trump.

Lol. I got to hand it to that guy he doesn't even know that the founders did not even have any idea of tax returns. That's just funny as hell.
It's not about tax returns. It's about have too much power that the president cannot be investigated, because he could be susceptible to blackmail, therefore obligated to make bad decisions on our behalf. That is what the founders argued, and were quite right to worry about that, because Trump has become their prime candidate for blackmail.

This tax thing for Trump has something in common with the Flynn case.

Neither had a leg to stand on and that's why it's dying a slow death. You can't be guilty of lying to the FBI for a bogus interview that had the sole purpose of trying to get you to lie. Just like you can't be required to show your tax returns for the sole purpose of politics.

I don't care if:

1. He said he would release them one day and he didn't.
2. Liberals think he should.
3. Courts that hate him think he should.
4. Every other president back to Abe fucking Lincoln released their returns.

It all comes down to FUCK OFF they aren't your tax returns.

Last edited:
What would it hurt to release the records. You want to be elected every last aspect of your finances should be made public.
Nope. Not even close. You clearly do not understand the nature of the investigations.
The House has two cases which have been combined into one. That's Trump v. Mazars. The House is seeking Trump's tax records so they can investigate Michael Cohen's claims that Trump lied about the values of his assets with insurance companies and the IRS. That is why Admiral Rockwell Tory's notion that Trump's FEC filings should be enough is so patently ridiculous and exposes his ignorance.

The second House investigation is into Deutche Bank and Capital One laundering money, with Trump participating in the scheme. The House is seeking the records of those banks. These are the "third parties" you keep hearing references to in the arguments today. Trump is trying to block Congress from accessing the banks' records.

Finally, there is a third investigation, Trump v. Vance. That is a case by the state of New York which is investigating Trump's payoffs to McDougal and Daniels. They want access to Trump's tax records.

So let me ask you, what did you think of Sotomeyer’s questions surrounding her believing Congress might be out of bounds with the President because the President does not have the documents and that this is investigating the President, before he was President and it has no legislative value?

Before he was president, he was engaging in tax evasion and campaign finance violations just to get elected, and did not report that money. Cohen went to jail by helping Trump accomplish that goal. That proves that we as voters got robbed of a free and fair election. Trump committed federal crimes. He has also paid stiff fines for bogus universities and stealing money from charities. Trump is a proven criminal. He can also be indicted for obstruction of justice when he leaves office. The fact that any human being can defend someone like that, tells me him or her are no better than Trump.

Before he was president, he was engaging in tax evasion and campaign finance violations just to get elected, and did not report that money. Cohen went to jail by helping Trump accomplish that goal. That proves that we as voters got robbed of a free and fair election. Trump committed federal crimes. He has also paid stiff fines for bogus universities and stealing money from charities. Trump is a proven criminal. He can also be indicted for obstruction of justice when he leaves office. The fact that any human being can defend someone like that, tells me him or her are no better than Trump.

No matter how many times you repeat it that doesn't make it true.

This tax thing for Trump has something in common with the Flynn case.

Neither had a leg to stand on and that's why it's dying a slow death. You can't be guilty of lying to the FBI for a bogus interview that had the sole purpose of trying to get you to lie. Just like you can't be required to show your tax returns for the sole purpose of politics.

I don't care if:

1. He said he would release them one day and he didn't.
2. Liberals think he should.
3. Courts that hate him think he should.

It all comes down to FUCK OFF they aren't your tax returns.
Why did he lie? Do you care? Of course not. But the tax thing is reving up not dying out. You don't just walk away from a campaign finance violation your lawyer helped you arrange. That's not gathering tax returns for politics. That's gathering tax returns because of crimes.

And Flynn? There was no such thing as a bogus interview. Flynn confessed immediately when asked.

No matter how many times you repeat it that doesn't make it true.
Your problem is, you are detached from reality. How do we know? You provided nothing of substance challenging my claims. And why is that? Because you aren't prepared to. You have no forensic documentation to fight with. You lose, and you lose badly. Your words are useless.

What was the legislative value of the Republican Whitewater investigation?

• Love
Reactions: BWK
Is Congress saying the President is refusing to honor a Congressional subpoena? There is a law about that, I believe. But the Congress has to show good cause to want the documents, and they haven't got it, imo.

From the link:

The US Supreme Court has heard arguments on whether President Donald Trump should be allowed to keep his financial records secret, in a major showdown over presidential powers.

Mr Trump declines to share documents that could shed light on his fortune and the work of his family company.

Two congressional committees and New York prosecutors demand the release of his tax returns and other information.

Mr Trump's private lawyers argue he enjoys total immunity while in office.

The judges will hear the cases remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Supreme Court has a 5-4 conservative majority and includes two Trump appointees - Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh.

The rule of law, and a guiding principle in our nation's jurisprudence is no man is above the law. The efficacy of the Supreme Court justices to dispense justice will be judged in this matter. If they decide in favor of President Trump, it will give carte blanche to him, and to every future POTUS.
The ruling should be a slam dunk against Trump. No one is above the law. Time to see those tax returns Donald. Gosh, can you imagine the money laundering?
How is not turning over tax returns you were never required to turnover make anyone above the law?
Because Trump is already implicated in tax evasion, and breaking campaign finance laws.

Implicated in tax evasion? Seems kind of a loose accusation. The documents that are being requested are all before he was elected to the Presidency and that seems to be the rub with Sotomeyer, from her questioning she indicated that what Congress is asking for is unprecedented.
Nope. The Republican Congress investigated Whitewater, which was a business dealing before Clinton was president.

The Republicans set the precedent.

Whitewater was brought up several times today. Sotomayor's questions were asking why is this case not just like Whitewater.
They were hoping no one would bring up that little nugget. Lol!

“The Founders worried about presidents shielding their financial corruption and misusing the Treasury to hold on to power. A court faithful to their vision will rule against Trump’s extreme arguments "
And there you have another problem is the president does not have control of the treasurey. The house actually has the purse strings

It's not about tax returns. It's about have too much power that the president cannot be investigated, because he could be susceptible to blackmail, therefore obligated to make bad decisions on our behalf. That is what the founders argued, and were quite right to worry about that, because Trump has become their prime candidate for blackmail.
so now it is not about tax returns but about some supposed possible blackmail. And exactly what is your reason for that assumption.

The most common way that crooks launder their money is through real estate manipulation.

Trump's main man Manafort is in prison for laundering money in just this way.

And real estate is what Trump is all about.

That's why Trump is terrified of Congress getting hold of the banks' records.
You can bet your right nut, Trump was doing exactly what Manafort was doing.

And there you have another problem is the president does not have control of the treasurey. The house actually has the purse strings

so now it is not about tax returns but about some supposed possible blackmail. And exactly what is your reason for that assumption.
It's not a "your assumption." It's the founders concern. That is why Trump is not immune to oversight or investigations, according to our foundings. It's really a very simple logic, even a high schooler could figure out.

It's not a "your assumption." It's the founders concern. That is why Trump is not immune to oversight or investigations, according to our foundings. It's really a very simple logic, even a high schooler could figure out.
You are the one that said it was not about tax returns. You are the one that said that he was a prime candidate for blackmail. So I am asking you to tell us exactly what your reasoning is for your comment that he was a candidate for blackmail?
Surely if you make that assertion there must be a reason other then a partisan I hate him.

My question remains the same what was the I.R.S
Doing? What are we paying them for?
I think we are paying the IRS to audit middle and working class returns for EITC violations and turn a blind eye to the returns of billionaire real estate speculators.
Agree

Then you're as dumb as he is.

People like Trump are audited every year because of the size of their return. When you pay tens of millions in taxes the IRS is going to watch you like a hawk.

I found the NPR story on the matter much more interesting. I learned that the subpoenas for Trump's financial records were not issued to Trump but rather to Deutsche Bank and Mazars USA. The two banks have not objected to complying with the subpoenas however Trump stepped in to ask the courts to block them from complying.

As far as the subpoenas go, I'm on Trump's side regarding those brought by congress for purpose of congressional oversight. However the one brought by New York state, on whether a state can subpoena a sitting president's personal records in a criminal investigation is another story. On the surface I would lean towards New York state's side of the matter. But reading that, "The subpoena issued by a New York grand jury involves a broad investigation that includes an investigation of alleged hush money payments by Trump to adult film star Stormy Daniels and another woman during the 2016 presidential campaign." I'm seeing this as a fishing expedition as well and I'm agreeing with Trump's side on the matter.

From the link:

The US Supreme Court has heard arguments on whether President Donald Trump should be allowed to keep his financial records secret, in a major showdown over presidential powers.

Mr Trump declines to share documents that could shed light on his fortune and the work of his family company.

Two congressional committees and New York prosecutors demand the release of his tax returns and other information.

Mr Trump's private lawyers argue he enjoys total immunity while in office.

The judges will hear the cases remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Supreme Court has a 5-4 conservative majority and includes two Trump appointees - Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh.

The rule of law, and a guiding principle in our nation's jurisprudence is no man is above the law. The efficacy of the Supreme Court justices to dispense justice will be judged in this matter. If they decide in favor of President Trump, it will give carte blanche to him, and to every future POTUS.

And if they decide against President Trump, EVERY future POTUS, Senator, Congressman, Federal Judge and Supreme Court Justice's financial records will be fair game for witch hunts by the other party.

Forum List

Back