Surprise Factory Downturn Holds Back U.S. Growth: Economy

Manufacturing in this country peaked in 1979.

What are you smoking?

[deleted chart showing growth in dollar volume over some period]

U.S. is Still the World?s #1 Manufacturer | AEIdeas

While it is interesting that that the dollar value of US manufacturing appears to have increased, it is a fairly meaningless number compared to sector head count (for a bunch of reasons including but not limited to inflation) except to the tax collector, executives and occasionally to stockholders.

The most meaningful measures of the importance of manufacturing to the health of nations' economies are literal head count and pct of total workforce employed in the sector.

Last edited:
It does when the recession is caused by gross fiscal irresponsibility by the Republicans.

History disagrees with you. Should be pretty easy to understand this, since the length of economic recessions is easy to find.

Obama for a third term would be a great idea! Majority Democrat in Congress would be good!

It would be great for the rich as well. Now the party on Wall Street will never end. I support.

History has no comps. The 2007-2008 financial crisis is topping $700 Trillion and continuing to grow.

Er, what?

History disagrees with you. Should be pretty easy to understand this, since the length of economic recessions is easy to find.

It would be great for the rich as well. Now the party on Wall Street will never end. I support.

History has no comps. The 2007-2008 financial crisis is topping $700 Trillion and continuing to grow.

700 trillion? Where do you get these numbers?
The total net worth of the United States is just over $15 trillion.
If you are going to make shit up, at least attempt to appear believable.

700 trillion....that number rings a bell...

Was it...

We were losing 700 trillion jobs a month under Bush
We were creating 700 trillion jobs a month because of Stimulus.
We lost 700 trillion jobs because of Sequester
Obama has created 700 trillion jobs.

I said it doesn't take recessions this long to self correct. It will now that the Government has done everything predictable in response to this economy crisis.

You can either learn from the Great Depression, or repeat it. All that is missing is amending the constitution so Obama can serve a third term.

It does when the recession is caused by gross fiscal irresponsibility by the Republicans.

Recessions from 1945 to 1991 worked in a similar manner which followed a fairly well defined inventory/credit cycle. However, asset price targeting and excesses built up in asset markets have changed the nature of recessions. Thus, comparing pre-2000 recession durations is not particularly relevant.

Bill Clinton isn't an economist.

True. So what's your point?

Clinton dishonestly explained in a campaign rally for Barack Obama that it takes at least 8 years to 6 - 8 years to recovery from a downturn from an economic mess. So therefore, no one should really blame Obama for this anemic recovery we are having.

What Bill Clinton -- and this supposes economist -- doesn't seem to understand that it really doesn't take 8 - 10 years for an economy to recovery from a recession. Well, I suppose it does if we are using the Great Depression as our guide of how to cure an economic crisis, and not the Depression of 1920.

No question Clinton is a pathological liar who belongs in prison for betraying the United States in the trade game, the fact is that fairly close to 100% of people with clue KNEW immediately in the autumn of 2008 that it would be an 8 - 10 year road back. Asset-based economies have no spring, and there was more than enough evidence in 2007 to know both what was coming and that it was going to be bad.

Having noted irrefutable facts, it is worth considering that if Obama had paid 50% of what he has pissed down government drains directly to Americans earning less than, say, $50k/a, the recession would be a memory now. But government wants to protect corporations so that is where the money went (state and local governments are corporations too).

The chart shows that recoveries in mfg based economies are quick; the graph shows V shaped recessions and recoveries because as factories went back to work the middle class resumed spending. Since the 1980s recessions/recoveries are bowl shaped. This is the trust curve. There is nothing real to support the economy - no money is reaching the non-saving classes who in turn can't support local economies that add up to national economies, so trust needs to be restored. Trust has NOT been restored is the short version of bowl shaped recoveries in pencil-pusher debt-driven asset-based economies.
EmployRecMar2013.jpg

No shit. Your problem is you have no limit on the concept of "well paid".
Fact. If wages are artificially increased, eventually consumer prices will reflect the increases in cost to produce or perform. The end result is prices rise relative to the additional costs applied to labor. One of two things occurs. The cost of labor is reduced or the prices of goods and services is increased. In the end, we all end up back where we started.

You have no idea of my concept of well paid, and what well paid would vary from region to region.
Okj..Fire away. What is your opinion of 'well paid'....
Be careful. Use examples of wage levels as you see them relative to level of skill and/or education.
DO NOT use the Penn State 'living wage' calculator.
The values are vastly inflated. For example the PSU living wage calculator indicates the living wage for a family of four in Los Angeles County is $34+ per hour.
DO you really think an unskilled fast food worker should make $34 per hour just because?

Do not tell me how to answer a question, if you want to answer it your self be my guest but it is absurd to ask a question and then have the gall to tell somebody how to answer it.

You have no idea of my concept of well paid, and what well paid would vary from region to region.
Be careful. Use examples of wage levels as you see them relative to level of skill and/or education.
The values are vastly inflated. For example the PSU living wage calculator indicates the living wage for a family of four in Los Angeles County is $34+ per hour.
DO you really think an unskilled fast food worker should make $34 per hour just because?

Do not tell me how to answer a question, if you want to answer it your self be my guest but it is absurd to ask a question and then have the gall to tell somebody how to answer it.
Because you cannot answer without deferring to the lib blogosphere.
Show some support for your liberal ways and just answer the question.

I do not answer questions where the asker tries to mold the reply, this is not a Fox News talk show and you are not Sean Hannity.

I do not answer questions where the asker tries to mold the reply, this is not a Fox News talk show and you are not Sean Hannity.

HA! You just cannot answer without consulting the sources you normally access for assistance. So be it.

So you refuse to simply answer without using notably biased or incorrect sources???

So you refuse to simply answer without using notably biased or incorrect sources???

The sources like Fox News and Breitbart you dim bulbs like to use dont carry such info, and thanks for the neg that really showed me.

The sources like Fox News and Breitbart you dim bulbs like to use dont carry such info, and thanks for the neg that really showed me.

Nice try.
And since when is asking for corroborated facts an attempt to 'mold a reply'?
Still waiting for an answer.

Nice try.
And since when is asking for corroborated facts an attempt to 'mold a reply'?
Still waiting for an answer.

When you tell somebody how they should answer a question you are trying to mold a reply.

Forum List

Back