• 10+

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

citygator

Posting From Hunters Laptop
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2019
Charlotte
Although we are more connected than ever Americans have fewer close friends than ever. Almost 20% have only 1 close friend or none.

Drivers are work hours, mobility, late marriages, and recently politics.

The state of American friendship: Change, challenges, and loss - The Survey Center on American Life

0Vegx7Y.jpg

A write up.

Americans are facing a crisis of friendlessness, says a new poll

Only 13% of those polled said they had more than 10 close friends. This is in contrast to a 1990 Gallup poll, in which a third of US adults said they had 10 or more close friends.

There's more — three decades ago, 75% of the 1,226 people Gallup surveyed over the phone said they had a best friend. That number in this year's poll was 59%.

The survey also found evidence that friendships were particularly hard during the pandemic. Nearly half of the 2,019 people polled said they lost touch with at least a few friends over the past 12 months, and one in 10 people polled said they lost touch with most of their friends.

Politics may be a key reason friendships were ending. Of those surveyed, 20% of Democrats and 10% of Republicans polled said they ended a friendship over a political disagreement. And of the 300 people surveyed who said they ended a friendship over politics, 22% said formerPresident Donald Trump was the reason.

^^^ If that's true, I am in the minority because I always return what I borrow and there has never been any damage to whatever it is that I've borrowed.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Just a natural part of growing older. Fewer but closer friendships.

Friends just borrow your tools and never bring them back.

I know what you mean I had a very good friend at the University.....I lent her a big, thick, great book.....and she NEVER returned it to me.

I will never forgive her that. LOL

I think a lot of this is due to the polarized nature of our social media and online time. And the hostility that has grown over the recent years.

So many people will end a friendship because of political differences. Just because I disagree with someone's politics does not mean I will throw away a good friendship.

^^^ If that's true, I am in the minority because I always return what I borrow and there has never been any damage to whatever it is that I've borrowed.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

As soon as the ambulance carrying old man across the road pulls away, I am totally getting all my tools back he borrowed

I have always maintained I have a few close friends, and a lot of acquaintances.

Forum List

Back