Sweet Tooth on Netflix

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Sweet Tooth, how does one review a rather gentle apocalypse thriller about the end of life as we know it, thanks to a mysterious plague that wipes out most of humanity and gives us children with antlers, wings, beaks, and fury bodies. You'll have to see to believe it.

But is it good?

I know it's based on a graphic novel, and I know Robert Downey Jr. and his wife are producers, but that's all I know save for the information from the trailers...

But is it good?

I know it's based on a graphic novel, and I know Robert Downey Jr. and his wife are producers, but that's all I know save for the information from the trailers...
I saw the first two episodes and like what I saw. Compared to most movies along this line there is not a lot action at least so far but it is suspenseful. The central theme is these children born very different are being stalked by those who think they're responsible for the situation. From a line in first episode about nature acting and later a giant stag appearing in the shadows behind the boy who is being threatened, the audience is lead to believe that all of this is not just some random occurrence and there is higher power at work.

We watched the first season over the last 2 day. Good show. The characters are well developed and believable. The premise is not farfetched.

Bingeing it now. Thought I would watch the 1st epi and if it sucked I could just stop. Well..I haven't stopped yet. It's kinda corney, but..interesting to some extent. I'll keep on keeping on though so..that's something.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I saw it trending on netflix but bypassed it because it looked stupid and I thought it was a kiddie show.
Which means never judge a book by its cover. Or a movie either.

I watched the first episode last night
Interesting but not to the point I want to binge watch yet

Finished. By the end, I was no longer amused. Too corney. Bad makeup. And kids are not my fav critters (pun intended) so Sweet Tooth being so naive and stubborn (as kids usually are), I was pretty much done with it.

Finished. By the end, I was no longer amused. Too corney. Bad makeup. And kids are not my fav critters (pun intended) so Sweet Tooth being so naive and stubborn (as kids usually are), I was pretty much done with it.
I think they overplayed the sweet adorable kid who fails to follow instructions an get's in trouble over and over. Don't know what the creators had in mind when they sold this to Netflix. If there are more seasons and there probably will be, the central character will grow older and the story will probably shift into a teenage coming of age tale with the boy destine for great things. It that's were this goes, I'll be checking out. However, for the time being it is an adventurous tale of a young boy on a quest aided by wiser older characters. If you like this kind of drama, I think it's worth watching but I wouldn't count on further seasons being as original as this one.

Just watched the last episode. Worth a watch, not great but keeps you watching. I had hoped season one would tie up more plot lines.....it only opened more

The makeup on some of the lesser mutants looked like a low budget production of Cats.

Just watched the last episode. Worth a watch, not great but keeps you watching. I had hoped season one would tie up more plot lines.....it only opened more

The makeup on some of the lesser mutants looked like a low budget production of Cats.
After watching the last episode, I would advise people to wait until season 2, unless they don't mind a cliffhanger. I hated cliffhangers when I was a kid and the announcer would say, "Tune in next for more adventures of......" With Netflix, next week sometimes never comes."

After watching the last episode, I would advise people to wait until season 2, unless they don't mind a cliffhanger. I hated cliffhangers when I was a kid and the announcer would say, "Tune in next for more adventures of......" With Netflix, next week sometimes never comes."
They didnt come close to tying anything up

Cliffhangers are effective if the series continues next week but sometimes it takes Netflix 2 years for next season.

Cliffhangers are effective if the series continues next week but sometimes it takes Netflix 2 years for next season.
I will be totally without interest by then unless they make the deer boy a bit smarter and more defensive on who he trusts. Even then, doubt I will bother with it again.

I was good with Stranger Things but got too grossed out with skinny boy and Nine or whatever her name is, kissing. The kid (boy) is a stick. The concept is now boring. I won't be watching that one again either.

I will be totally without interest by then unless they make the deer boy a bit smarter and more defensive on who he trusts. Even then, doubt I will bother with it again.

I was good with Stranger Things but got too grossed out with skinny boy and Nine or whatever her name is, kissing. The kid (boy) is a stick. The concept is now boring. I won't be watching that one again either.
I have a different take on the boy in Sweet Tooth. First of all the concept is unrealistic but that's ok, because it's Sci-Fi. The actions of boy are about what you would expect from a young kid that is only half human, has been raise in forest by man who is not his real father. Since he never met another human during that time, he is unsocialized. Then the only human he knows dies and he is left alone to deal with world he knows nothing about except a lot bad men are trying to kill him. I would expect he would be defense and doing a lot stupid things.

Stranger Things will not work with older children. I give it one season to wrap up

That is my problem with a lot of things on Netflix. You binge watch over a couple days and then have to wait a year or more for the next season (if it comes back at all).
I usually only have a vague memory of the characters and plot lines.

That is my problem with a lot of things on Netflix. You binge watch over a couple days and then have to wait a year or more for the next season (if it comes back at all).
I usually only have a vague memory of the characters and plot lines.
And that's why I prefer the older series. Before Netflix became a major producer, 7 sessions was considered a target for the TV and cable series. No network wanted a series that was less than 3 seasons because it was hard to sell.

However with Netflix and other streaming services, they don't sell most of their series. They produce a new season ever one to three years and thus they have a whole new audience with each new season. Streaming services have a very different business model than TV and cable networks which effects everything they produce.

Forum List

Back