Syria’s Breakup Is A Levantine Norm

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
734340_505989202777877_1747000442_n.jpg

-- Rami G. Khouri -- The Daily Star
The talk about Syria by knowledgeable friends and colleagues whose views I respect has turned increasingly pessimistic in recent weeks, with expectations ranging across a span of many bad outcomes. These range from Syria becoming a Levantine Somalia, where power is in the hands of hundreds of local warlords and tribal chieftains, to a totally fractured state defined by a combination of raging civil war and sectarianism that pulls in interested neighbors and perhaps ignites new regional wars.

Speculation about the future of Syria is a growth industry these days, for good reason: What happens in Syria will have an impact on the region, given its central role in the political geography, ideologies and security of the Levant and areas further afield. The events in recent years in Iraq and Libya remind us that developments in one state in the region can have repercussions in neighboring countries, sometimes immediately and sometimes a few years down the road.

Read more ....Syria?s breakup is a Levantine norm | Opinion , Columnist | THE DAILY STAR

My Comment: A Lebanon scenario is probably right .... and they are a country that fought a civil war that lasted for years.

I think this will be happening in a lot of Middle East countries in the years to come as the unrealistic boundaries set of after WWI are erased.

:cool:

I think this will be happening in a lot of Middle East countries in the years to come as the unrealistic boundaries set of after WWI are erased.

This does not concern Syria. The West had nothing to do with its current borders, and the only way Syria will break up is if the West + SA and Qatar will push through with external aggression and will up the financing of terrorist groups within Syria.

But as it is now, SA and Qatar are pulling out their financial support for "freedom fighters", US is curtailing its participation, and Syrian army is doing a great job clearing up its territory off terrorist gangs...
I can't see any reason why Syria will have to break up at present.

Kurds?

This does not concern Syria. The West had nothing to do with its current borders, and the only way Syria will break up is if the West + SA and Qatar will push through with external aggression and will up the financing of terrorist groups within Syria.

But as it is now, SA and Qatar are pulling out their financial support for "freedom fighters", US is curtailing its participation, and Syrian army is doing a great job clearing up its territory off terrorist gangs...

Yeah yeah yeah the Syrian army has everything under control, thats the same line of shit you have been feeding us since this started.:cuckoo:

^^ are you ok ? Kurdish government in Syria is well established, syrian Kurdistan on its way despite turkish opposition, turks are anti kurds and will be at judgement day too, but then there will be no NATO to back you up ;) at least kurds get to live in peace in the after world :cuckoo: .

Could be all those shennanigans they pulled on American troops in Iraq by proxy. Their stealth did not go unobserved by Middle East international observers.

Kurdistani4ever in 1983 after the bombing in Lebanon the US Military was explaining about the Middle East on a map, they went all around Syria, never a word said. I often wondered why. Were they planning on using Syria for stability in the Middle East? It bothers me to this day.

Kurdistani4ever in 1983 after the bombing in Lebanon the US Military was explaining about the Middle East on a map, they went all around Syria, never a word said. I often wondered why. Were they planning on using Syria for stability in the Middle East? It bothers me to this day.

Sometimes it's hard to know, what the US really wants, so i'm afraid, i have no idea about this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back