Target boycott cost more than anyone expected

Retailers everywhere are taking a hit because of online shopping .

You tools think it's your stupid boycott!?

Walmart soared while Target tanked, try again

Gotta link ?

I don't think they are soaring . They are also big into the online themselves .

Published May 19, 2016

Wal-Mart's stock shot up 10% -- adding $17 billion of market capitalization -- after the retailer announced surprisingly strong quarterly results. Both sales and earnings beat consensus estimates as revenue rose 1%, and profits contracted by just 5%. In contrast, Wall Street was bracing for a 1% sales decline, and a 15% earnings slump.

Image source: Wal-Mart.

The company's nearly 2% uptick in customer traffic extended its streak to six-consecutive quarters of growth by that metric, while extending its lead over rival Target.

Wal-Mart has been spending aggressively on improving its shopper experience through initiatives like higher employee wages and raising in-stock levels. These investments apparently helped keep cash-register lines humming, just as management hoped they would.

"We are proud of the overall results in the first quarter, and there is momentum in many parts of the business," Chief Financial Officer Brett Biggs said in a press release. Those areas include grocery pickup and cost cuts that should enable lower prices over time.

Yet the retailer still isn't happy with its e-commerce growth pace, which, at 7%, trails the overall industry. Wal-Mart's other key strategies seem to be working, though, and that suggests its business is in a stronger position than investors had feared.

Starbuck's sales went in the shitter also, the CEO was replaced

You really need to read more, not because sales went into the shitter.

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz Is Stepping Down

Starbucks chief executive Howard Schultz will step down from his role in 2017, ending a successful tenure atop the coffee giant in which he steered it to become a strong performing global powerhouse.

The coffee chain on Thursday announced that effective April 3, Schultz would retain his role as executive chairman but would no longer serve as CEO so he could pivot his focus on "innovation, design and development of Starbucks Reserve Roasteries around the world." Schultz has been advocating a push into more premium coffees as a way for Starbucks (SBUX, -0.52%) to compete and establish its brand with a stronger footing for the future. He's sought to explore new concepts like the Starbucks Roastery in Seattle, a massive retail location that has a cafe and tasting room and helped kick off the company's bigger bet on a more premium retail and coffee experience.

Kevin Johnson, who served as president and chief operating officer and is a seven-year member of the Starbucks board, will succeed Schultz.

"As I focus on Starbucks next wave of retail innovation, I am delighted that Kevin Johnson–our current president, COO, a seven-year board member, and my partner in running every facet of Starbucks business over the last two years–has agreed to assume the duties of Starbucks chief executive officer," Schultz said in a statement. "This move ideally positions Starbucks to continue profitably growing our core business around the world into the future."

Mhm, I work the markets and paid attention to what happened to Starbuck's share price after they so unwisely made a poor business descion...just as I did Target.

Both of them got exactly what was coming to them

Which 'poor business decision' was that?

Starbucks chief executive Howard Schultz will step down from his role in 2017, ending a successful tenure atop the coffee giant in which he steered it to become a strong performing global powerhouse.

The coffee chain on Thursday announced that effective April 3, Schultz would retain his role as executive chairman but would no longer serve as CEO so he could pivot his focus on "innovation, design and development of Starbucks Reserve Roasteries around the world." Schultz has been advocating a push into more premium coffees as a way for Starbucks (SBUX, -0.52%) to compete and establish its brand with a stronger footing for the future. He's sought to explore new concepts like the Starbucks Roastery in Seattle, a massive retail location that has a cafe and tasting room and helped kick off the company's bigger bet on a more premium retail and coffee experience.

Kevin Johnson, who served as president and chief operating officer and is a seven-year member of the Starbucks board, will succeed Schultz.

"As I focus on Starbucks next wave of retail innovation, I am delighted that Kevin Johnson–our current president, COO, a seven-year board member, and my partner in running every facet of Starbucks business over the last two years–has agreed to assume the duties of Starbucks chief executive officer," Schultz said in a statement. "This move ideally positions Starbucks to continue profitably growing our core business around the world into the future."

Mhm, I work the markets and paid attention to what happened to Starbuck's share price after they so unwisely made a poor business descion...just as I did Target.

Opening up restrooms to perverted fruitcakes and vowing to hire 10,000 refugees/immigrants

It was on all the news

Opening up restrooms to perverted fruitcakes and vowing to hire 10,000 refugees/immigrants

It was on all the news

You stated 'both of them'. When did Starbucks do such things?

I still go to Target...but only to take a shit. I figure if I'm going to embrace this bathroom thing, I should work up a real growler and share it with the ladies.

Talk about a war on women...

Forum List

Back