🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Teacher Pay

1. Teacher pay for my state is a bit too high. The minimum wage for most people is $7.25 per hour; the minimum wage for public school teachers in my state is $14.80 per hour, or $30,800 per year.

2. A first-year teacher in my local school district is paid $33,880 annually, which works out to $16.28 per hour.

Everyone in my state whines about how we need to pay teachers more, but teaching is already the single most lucrative profession in the area for someone fresh out of college. No one under the age of 30 in my area who isn't a teacher makes anywhere near $16 an hour. Pay for administrators, counselors, etc. is even higher; pay for such auxiliary staff needs to be cut down to at least what teachers make, if not lower.

Conversely, long-term teachers are the ones getting screwed over. My state mandates a small raise for teachers each year; as a result, a public school teacher won't make $40,000 per year until their 11th year of teaching. I think that year-to-year raises should be increased and the starting rate decreased. Continued employment should be based on performance, with tenure removed as an option from public schools.

2011 Accounting Graduates Earning Average Salaries of $50,000 | AccountingWEB

According to this website, starting pay for college grads is $41,701. Considerably more than the starting pay for teachers.

"Overall, the average salary for 2011 college graduates was $41,701, but accounting majors earned an average of $50,500, which is up 3.7 percent from the class of 2010, according to the 2012 National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) survey."

So the average starting pay for college grads is $20.05 per hour. Starting pay for accounting grads is $24.27 an hour.

I am not hijacking this thread. Every post I have made, with the exception of this one, has addressed the topic and the issues raised by other posters.
Thank you for your response. You have only partially addressed the topic, and most of your responses to other posters have been a continuation of their attempted hijacking after their failure to address the thread's topic.

To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, I will assist you in answering the second question. What county or municipality do you live in? Alternatively, can you tell me the name of the school district for your area?
The fact that I do not answer questions posed does not mean I am hijacking a thread. There are points raised concerning teachers and their pay. I address those points. Just because every post does not follow an extremely narrow focus does not mean the thread has been hijacked.
I am not asking every post to "follow an extremely narrow focus". See below:
I'm a Tory and I hold to that when talking about pay and conditions.

How about performance related pay?

If the kids get good results, the teachers concerned get a bonus but, if the exam results are rubbish, the teacher gets paid less the following year.

Seems fair to me.
Thank you for your response. However, you have failed to answer either question. To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, please answer the questions. Feel free to express your views on how much of a bonus or pay dock teachers should get in your local school district after you have provided answers to the two questions I posed.
I invite people to discuss related issues--AFTER, and only after, they have answered the two questions in the OP.

The issue here is one of intellectual honesty and knowledge. I count 15 individual respondents to this thread; of them, 6 answered both questions on their first reply, and 9 did not. Thus, only 40% (a minority) of posters are basing their opinions on actual facts, while the other 60% have spent four pages shooting their mouth off about an issue they refuse to do even basic research on.

You stated that you do not know what teacher pay in your area is, although you have taken a stance on the issue anyway. To correct this, I have offered to do the research for you, with you needing only to provide your general location or the name of your school district for me to find an answer for you. You have yet to respond to this offer, but continue to post in this thread in response to others, most of whom--like you--have failed to answer the second question posed in the OP.

And now I ask, why?

Thank you for your response. You have only partially addressed the topic, and most of your responses to other posters have been a continuation of their attempted hijacking after their failure to address the thread's topic.

To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, I will assist you in answering the second question. What county or municipality do you live in? Alternatively, can you tell me the name of the school district for your area?
The fact that I do not answer questions posed does not mean I am hijacking a thread. There are points raised concerning teachers and their pay. I address those points. Just because every post does not follow an extremely narrow focus does not mean the thread has been hijacked.
I am not asking every post to "follow an extremely narrow focus". See below:
I'm a Tory and I hold to that when talking about pay and conditions.

How about performance related pay?

If the kids get good results, the teachers concerned get a bonus but, if the exam results are rubbish, the teacher gets paid less the following year.

Seems fair to me.
Thank you for your response. However, you have failed to answer either question. To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, please answer the questions. Feel free to express your views on how much of a bonus or pay dock teachers should get in your local school district after you have provided answers to the two questions I posed.
I invite people to discuss related issues--AFTER, and only after, they have answered the two questions in the OP.

The issue here is one of intellectual honesty and knowledge. I count 15 individual respondents to this thread; of them, 6 answered both questions on their first reply, and 9 did not. Thus, only 40% (a minority) of posters are basing their opinions on actual facts, while the other 60% have spent four pages shooting their mouth off about an issue they refuse to do even basic research on.

You stated that you do not know what teacher pay in your area is, although you have taken a stance on the issue anyway. To correct this, I have offered to do the research for you, with you needing only to provide your general location or the name of your school district for me to find an answer for you. You have yet to respond to this offer, but continue to post in this thread in response to others, most of whom--like you--have failed to answer the second question posed in the OP.

And now I ask, why?

I have stated why. I think looking solely at the dollar amounts, without some baseline for comparison, is not addressing the actual issue. Your insistence that I answer questions has done more to hijack this thread than anyone's responses. I am posting on the topic at hand. The fact that I do not choose to answer your specific question is neither hijacking the thread nor is it intellectually dishonest.

I have a niece currently in college that wants to become a teacher. She understands the salary isn't going to make her rich but it's not really the money that drives her to become a teacher.

My advice to any teacher that dislikes their pay, quit and find a better paying job. Surely you were aware of the salaries before you decided to choose this as a career.

No one has yet figured out how to evaluate good teachers fairly.
What is the criteria for labeling a teacher good?
Why do most teachers favor a basic step salary increase instead of being paid on merit?
Why do so many young people spend years in college to become teachers, at some expense, and yet leave teaching within five years?

http://www.katyisd.org/dept/hr/Documents/Pay Scales - Teacher Salary Schedule.pdf

And I would say they make more then fair money considering they get a three month vacation.

And I get tired of hearing them whine about spending their own money on supplies.
There are plenty of jobs out there that require you to spend some of your own money if you want to excel.

What teachers get a three month vacation? Here the school year is from mid-June to mid-August (that being for the students). Teachers stay later and start earlier. And that summer time off is non-paid. How does that translate to 3 months?

Two months,three months...whatever. Back in the day,as they say.......

http://www.katyisd.org/dept/hr/Documents/Pay Scales - Teacher Salary Schedule.pdf

And I would say they make more then fair money considering they get a three month vacation.

And I get tired of hearing them whine about spending their own money on supplies.
There are plenty of jobs out there that require you to spend some of your own money if you want to excel.
I've heard this as well. What exactly do they spend their own money on? The only thing that my school district doesn't provide for them is tissues. Every teacher offers extra credit to anyone who brings in a box of tissues at the beginning of the year. Apart from that, literally everything else is provided.

I suppose this is the equivalent of a lawyer whining about how he has to spend his own money on suits to show up in court in, or an accountant complaining about having to buy his own accounting software. It seems a bit petty, especially when--with one exception--the lowest-paid teachers in every school district mentioned in this thread thus far make at least double minimum wage, if not triple or more.

Most jobs require some financial investment.
Mechanic,machinist,plumber,carpenter,electrician.......The list goes on.
Teachers know the pay scale going in. If they dont like it,why'd they pursue a job in teaching in the first place?

I've heard this as well. What exactly do they spend their own money on? The only thing that my school district doesn't provide for them is tissues. Every teacher offers extra credit to anyone who brings in a box of tissues at the beginning of the year. Apart from that, literally everything else is provided.

I suppose this is the equivalent of a lawyer whining about how he has to spend his own money on suits to show up in court in, or an accountant complaining about having to buy his own accounting software. It seems a bit petty, especially when--with one exception--the lowest-paid teachers in every school district mentioned in this thread thus far make at least double minimum wage, if not triple or more.

Teachers know the pay scale going in. If they dont like it,why'd they pursue a job in teaching in the first place?

I think most go into it for reasons that have nothing to do with salary.

But I also think it is important that we keep the good teachers and attract the best minds.

Two questions:

1. Do you believe that public school teacher pay in your state should be raised, lowered, or stay the same?

2. How much is a first-year teacher paid as an employee of the school district in your area?

1. Stay the same. Teachers know what they are going to be paid for 8 to 9 months of work, when they choose their career.

2. I don't know the wages for a first-year teacher in 2014 but when a former hubby started teaching in Oregon, after years of experience in another state, he received 47k for 8 months a year of teaching. That was in 2002.

But I also think it is important that we keep the good teachers and attract the best minds.

The best minds can teach a child who has good parenting at home, as a rule, and who has parents willing to work on the teacher's behalf.

Two questions:

1. Do you believe that public school teacher pay in your state should be raised, lowered, or stay the same?

2. How much is a first-year teacher paid as an employee of the school district in your area?

1. Stay the same. Teachers know what they are going to be paid for 8 to 9 months of work, when they choose their career.

2. I don't know the wages for a first-year teacher in 2014 but when a former hubby started teaching in Oregon, after years of experience in another state, he received 47k for 8 months a year of teaching. That was in 2002.

For 8 months and a 4 month holiday and as a starting wage?

Hell yeah.

I can agree with their reasons. But I dont want to hear any crying after the fact.
There needs to be a connection with salary and performance. From what I'm seeing the performance is lacking and throwing more money at the problem isnt going to work.
I will say that when it comes to poor performing schools it more of a parent problem.

Two questions:

Hell yeah.

In fairness, he did have experience and an advanced degree. At that time Oregon had the fewest school days of the year, in the U.S. ( probably still ) counting all the days, weeks, off for various reasons and perks. He made almost that amount in 4 months doing what he loved best----playing professionally in bands, internationally. What a good guy he is.

Two questions:

Hell yeah.

Teachers work a minimum of ten months a year, not 8 months. Your kid may start school after Labor Day. Teachers start a few weeks earlier. Your kids may be done in early June. The teachers work a few weeks more. Many teachers work or go to school over the summer. All American teachers have masters degrees and are required to complete continuing education throughout their careers and renew their teaching license regularly based on doing continuing edcuation classes. They are paid far less than other professionals with an equivalent degree and edcuation. You should thank your lucky stars for teachers. What would you do if there weren't any?

I have a niece currently in college that wants to become a teacher. She understands the salary isn't going to make her rich but it's not really the money that drives her to become a teacher.

My advice to any teacher that dislikes their pay, quit and find a better paying job. Surely you were aware of the salaries before you decided to choose this as a career.

What they probably were not aware of is the nearly total, complete and profound level of disrespect and distain the American public has for teachers and the teaching profession.

Hell yeah.

Teachers work a minimum of ten months a year, not 8 months. Your kid may start school after Labor Day. Teachers start a few weeks earlier. Your kids may be done in early June. The teachers work a few weeks more. Many teachers work or go to school over the summer. All American teachers have masters degrees and are required to complete continuing education throughout their careers and renew their teaching license regularly based on doing continuing edcuation classes. They are paid far less than other professionals with an equivalent degree and edcuation. You should thank your lucky stars for teachers. What would you do if there weren't any?

I'm talking about pay. Nothing more. The pay scale is quite good imho. Now I remember when teachers really did stick around for the students and those extras are going the way of the dodo.

What they probably were not aware of is the nearly total, complete and profound level of disrespect and distain the American public has for teachers and the teaching profession.

Really? Why you hold such distain for teachers?

Teachers in our district start one week earlier than the kids. Not two. They stay about a half a day longer than the kids do when they depart for summer break. No teacher stay two weeks later in the summer unless they're teaching summer school.

Not ALL teachers in America have Master's degrees. I work in IT, I too have to renew my certifications and complete CE courses. So do nurses, engineers, doctors, etc. Teachers are not unique with their professional education requirements.

What would we do in there weren't any teachers? Since every teacher everywhere states that "Parents are at fault" whenever the kid is not successful. Then what we now know is that any success a kid has is because of the Parents. You can't have it both ways by blaming the parents for anything education related and then turn around and self congratulate yourselves about some students success. I thought it was all the parents?

Yup...that's the way u attract the best to the teaching profession and keep them producing optimally : denigrate the profession, underpay teachers, prevent them from actually teaching by making them endlessly prep kids for testing, take away their benefits and pensions, begrudge them fair pay and imagined "free vacations", scapegoat them for all of society's ills, repeat endlessly that they "only work part time" or don't really work...
The latter really irked me when as a HS English and Social Studies teacher, I taught 150+kids a day (5 periods of 30 or more kids daily) and had to stay up late and give up weekends to correct all those papers and prep teaching materials and lesson plans...
And since I only got paid 10 months out of a year...had to waitress all summer to make ends meet...all that w a master's degree... My starting salary in Massachusetts in 1978 was $9,500..and I made @$13,000 in 1983, the year I left teaching to pursue a far more lucrative and respected profession.
I did teach for several years because I loved working w the kids...and was good at it..but had to stop to be able to do justice to myself.
That was over 35 years ago...but things haven't changed much. The salaries are pitched a bit higher perhaps ...but not enough to attract and keep the best. Most of the bullshit that drove me away remains...and seems amplified at times.
The administrators all start at 6 figures tho...and do little to support teachers in that which is among the most important jobs in our society...preparing our young for success in our society...
But how can that be..if the most skilled and successful teachers leave a hard, essential but thankless job in order to be fair to themselves...

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Last edited:

Forum List

Back