Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

Well, the remedy there is to stop buying stuff out of their own funds. If the district won't pay for it, then the kiddies don't get it.

[...]
It's not in the nature of most teachers to do that. With very few exceptions, teachers are teachers because they truly like what they do, so this tax adjustment will really hurt them. Hopefully it can be revised.
Teachers are Teachers because they aren't qualified to get real jobs.

Some, not all.

Teachers are overpaid to begin with. They should not get a tax break, they should get a tax increase. They vote Democrat and should be held to their own standards.
It has nothing to do with being stupid.
Yes it does. I always submit my expenses to my employer. Why can't teachers do the same? Are they incapable of proper expense tracking?

Because submitting is a waste of their time if the budget doesn't pay for it.
Then they should stop paying for school supplies out of their own pocket. There, problem solved.

You don't get it.
What don't I get. There are literally millions of teachers in this country, I can't believe they can't organize to make sure that school budgets pay for school supplies.

That's what you don't get - for starters.

Well, the remedy there is to stop buying stuff out of their own funds. If the district won't pay for it, then the kiddies don't get it.

[...]
It's not in the nature of most teachers to do that. With very few exceptions, teachers are teachers because they truly like what they do, so this tax adjustment will really hurt them. Hopefully it can be revised.
Teachers are Teachers because they aren't qualified to get real jobs.

Ignorant bullshit.

A real man of the people.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.

I never spent a dime of my own money on my job while working for others. How ludicrous.

You don't buy the materials and your evaluation will show you are lacking in your teaching skills and you get not renewed.

Then you won't have a job.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.

I never spent a dime of my own money on my job while working for others. How ludicrous.

You don't buy the materials and your evaluation will show you are lacking in your teaching skills and you get not renewed.

Teachers have tenure so no, I don't buy it.

Fuck that. You buy the materials because your students need them and you are a teacher because you give a shit about people and put that ahead of most other things.

Fuck that. You buy the materials because your students need them and you are a teacher because you give a shit about people and put that ahead of most other things.
I hear that from teachers but I think that no one is asking them to be martyrs.

Try reading again. I never said I didn't buy them.

That is sad...I know people who are teachers and in my state - they are badly underfunded. All of them provide material out of their pocket.

So...ya...get rid of the estate tax (which...essentially means....wealthy inheritents will get untaxd income while those who labor for it get taxed) and instead - nix the abilities of teachers to deduct what they supply instead.
You post some really stupid stuff. That money has already been taxed. Why are liberals so greedy?

I don't buy my own legal pads and pens when I'm working for a law firm, and teachers should do the same.

Maybe instead of the unions giving millions to politicians they can help these teachers supply the kids with what they need.

Maybe instead of supplying "free education" (never free) to illegal alien kids the school districts' should concentrate their funding on supplying American kids with what they need.

Then there would be enough to cover costs and the teachers wouldn't feel obligated to supplement inadequate district funding.

File a lawsuit and get SCOTUS to change it because school must provide a free and appropriate public education even for illegals.

Teachers have to spend money on teaching supplies now because the money that used to be allocated for supplies now goes into teacher and administrator salaries. Virtually every dollar that used to be devoted to other purposes, like building schools, got diverted into salaries.

OK, then explain why our pay has been so shitty for the past 20 years.

I hear that from teachers but I think that no one is asking them to be martyrs.

Think about that.

Teachers are overpaid to begin with. They should not get a tax break, they should get a tax increase. They vote Democrat and should be held to their own standards.
Teachers also send lists of supplies home to parents requesting them to purchase them several times a year. Lists not only include school supplies but also copy paper,Kleenex,soap, hand sanitizer,storage bags etc.

I doubt they pay that much out of pocket every year. They just like to say that to make the public feel sorry for them.

Teacher pay is shitty because every idiot wants to be a teacher. It's a clean, pleasant job with easy hours.

Get a job as a sewer worker, if you want great pay and benefits.

There's a guy who stands in sewer water for eight hours straight per day, fishing out the used condoms as they go by so they don't get jammed in the machinery.

Try this guy's job if you want to make the big bucks.

That is sad...I know people who are teachers and in my state - they are badly underfunded. All of them provide material out of their pocket.

So...ya...get rid of the estate tax (which...essentially means....wealthy inheritents will get untaxd income while those who labor for it get taxed) and instead - nix the abilities of teachers to deduct what they supply instead.
Well, we have to take care of the poor, unfortunate Paris Hiltons and Kim Kardashians of the world. What would they do if they had to earn a living?

Bull shit. Teachers have parents supply their kids for the year.
Exactly. And as a matter of fact we had a huge company layoff workers here and move to a new state. The company in question actually called several schools offering to give them all their office supplies free of charge...

Not a single one would pick them up. They ended up going to a few local churches.

Forum List

Back