Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

A real man of the people.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.

And we will still do it anyway.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.

Well, the remedy there is to stop buying stuff out of their own funds. If the district won't pay for it, then the kiddies don't get it.

I never spent a dime of my own money on my job while working for others. How ludicrous.

That’s not how a teacher thinks.

Maybe it's me, but I would submit a bill to the school board if I had out of pocket expenses for school supplies.

If teachers are too stupid to do this, they shouldn't get to write it off on their taxes.

It has nothing to do with being stupid.

Maybe it's me, but I would submit a bill to the school board if I had out of pocket expenses for school supplies.

If teachers are too stupid to do this, they shouldn't get to write it off on their taxes.

Yes it does. I always submit my expenses to my employer. Why can't teachers do the same? Are they incapable of proper expense tracking?

Yes it does. I always submit my expenses to my employer. Why can't teachers do the same? Are they incapable of proper expense tracking?

Because submitting is a waste of their time if the budget doesn't pay for it.

Then they should stop paying for school supplies out of their own pocket. There, problem solved.

Teachers are overpaid to begin with. They should not get a tax break, they should get a tax increase. They vote Democrat and should be held to their own standards.

Then they should stop paying for school supplies out of their own pocket. There, problem solved.

You don't get it.

Teachers are overpaid to begin with. They should not get a tax break, they should get a tax increase. They vote Democrat and should be held to their own standards.

You don't get it.
What don't I get. There are literally millions of teachers in this country, I can't believe they can't organize to make sure that school budgets pay for school supplies.

The loss of a "tax break" on $500 of out of pocket expenses is more than offset by the DOUBLING OF THE STANDARD EXEMPTION. Seriously would you rather pay 10%+ tax on $12,000 more income or lose a $125 deduction?

facepalmbear-5804f2af3df78cbc28913ff7.PNG

That is sad...I know people who are teachers and in my state - they are badly underfunded. All of them provide material out of their pocket.

So...ya...get rid of the estate tax (which...essentially means....wealthy inheritents will get untaxd income while those who labor for it get taxed) and instead - nix the abilities of teachers to deduct what they supply instead.
Try axing the damn money hungry unions. Put the money in the classroom instead of the pockets of political hacks running unions.

Problem solved.

The problem is not the unions - the state pays teachers piss poor. Education is always being cut and teachers often have to contribute. It's easy to blame the unions. But the problems existed before the unions.

We value actors, entertainers, athletes and politicians more then we do teachers.

Value isn't the issue. There are a lot of people that work certain jobs that many would feel are worth more. All the people you listed make a lot more than many other fields of work.

Parents are required to purchase their child's supplies for the school year. That, even though the Public School System receives massive Taxpayer-funding. Why are our schools 'broke?' Why don't they have supplies? The money is there.

The solution is, if possible, parents should avoid the US Public School System. It isn't gonna get better. Its rapid decline will continue. So don't wait and think things are gonna improve. I advise parents seek education alternatives. Home Schooling is one great alternative, but there are others. Take care, see ya. :)

That is a problem with public school, parents don't want to contribute anything extra. Everything should be paid by the taxpayer from air conditioning in schools to football fields to transportation.

That is sad...I know people who are teachers and in my state - they are badly underfunded. All of them provide material out of their pocket.

So...ya...get rid of the estate tax (which...essentially means....wealthy inheritents will get untaxd income while those who labor for it get taxed) and instead - nix the abilities of teachers to deduct what they supply instead.
Try axing the damn money hungry unions. Put the money in the classroom instead of the pockets of political hacks running unions.

Problem solved.

The problem is not the unions - the state pays teachers piss poor. Education is always being cut and teachers often have to contribute. It's easy to blame the unions. But the problems existed before the unions.

We value actors, entertainers, athletes and politicians more then we do teachers.

Value isn't the issue. There are a lot of people that work certain jobs that many would feel are worth more. All the people you listed make a lot more than many other fields of work.

Value is the issue.

It's not what THEY value - those who work the jobs - it's what WE value, as a society. And it's not educators.

Well, the remedy there is to stop buying stuff out of their own funds. If the district won't pay for it, then the kiddies don't get it.

I never spent a dime of my own money on my job while working for others. How ludicrous.

That’s not how a teacher thinks.

My wife was a teacher. In the public system. For years.

That's how she thought, though she let slip now and then.

She split when we pulled our son out of the system. Their loss.

In terms of public education, altruism only feeds the beast.

The public schools are over funded as it is, so you're not going to convince me they're not already paying for school supplies.

I couldn't get into the site because they want money to do so which I'm not about to give them; not because of the cost, but because of the hassle of transfer.

Anyway, I wanted to learn about this since the money I spend at my job is not deductible unless I spend over $500.00 a year. This year I spent about $400.00 and as stated, not deductible. Seems to me whatever this law is only puts teachers in the same playing field as other workers. If so, I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Problem solved.

Value is the issue.

It's not what THEY value - those who work the jobs - it's what WE value, as a society. And it's not educators.

Indeed. Educators should be assessed as professionals. Those who fail should be ejected. The successful remainder should be paid as professionals on par with any other professional industry. They do important work.

Problem solved.

Value is the issue.

Indeed. Educators should be assessed as professionals. Those who fail should be ejected. The successful remainder should be paid as professionals on par with any other professional industry. They do important work.
Public school teachers are overpaid. They work pleasant 9-3 hours, they get long vacations and the entire summer off. They never get their hands dirty or work up a sweat.

Problem solved.

Value is the issue.

For the most part teaching is government and unions. If left to the open market, teachers would make about 40K per year. Why? Because there are so many teachers and not enough jobs. It would simply be a supply and demand thing like any other profession.

Our value is determined by how many other people want our job and do it for less compensation.

[...]
It's not in the nature of most teachers to do that. With very few exceptions, teachers are teachers because they truly like what they do, so this tax adjustment will really hurt them. Hopefully it can be revised.
Teachers are Teachers because they aren't qualified to get real jobs.

As a teacher, I will sacrifice that small amount since it was $250 in my taxable income, I only saw a few dollars difference. Besides, I spent about 2-3 times that much in school supplies every year. I am no longer concerned for changing from a few dollars to a lot more for double the standard deduction.

Forum List

Back