Teen jailed for 3 years and then released with no charges committed suicide

Im confused.

1- Why didnt his family bond him out? EVERYONE can get bond these days.
2- Why didnt his defense attorney go to trial? He has a right to a speedy trial. The ONLY reason it would last 3 years is if the defense agreed to it.

I agree...waiting 3 years for a trial is absurd. But...all a defense attorney has to do is demand a trial and it usually hits the docket in a month or so.

As for bond...his family should be asked that.

The reason for your confusion is your lack of curiosity. Its all covered in the story

Well...i dont give a fuck enough to watch it. So how about you sum it up.

Family didnt bother bonding him out. Defense attorney allowed it to drag on for years. Why and why?

Bond = 2 much
Public Defender = in on it or didnt care

So its the public defenders fault. Only he could consent to the constant delays...OR...he was the one requesting them.

This whole story boild down to a shitty public defender. And a family that is apparently large and in a caring community. ..but couldnt pool up enough for bond? Hmmm.

Sure, its a lot of peoples fault. Our system is broken when a guy can be jailed for 3 years without a charge. The PD is just a cog in the wheel of fucked upness

Wasnt the charge robbery? He was given a bond. He was given an attorney. The SYSTEM worked. He got his constitutional rights. His lawyer allowed or requested the trial to keep getting continued for some reason. His large loving family and community. ..wouldnt gather up bond. I mean....how much could bond be for a 16 year old first time offender on a fairly modest robbery accusation?

Its very common for defense lawyers to drag a trial date out until the prosecutors drop it. WHY? The average cop quits within 5 years. If a defense attorney delays long enough....odds are the arresting officer has quit and moved.

See? Its the defense attorney and family. Not the "system".

And, I'm never going to "make sense" to you since you arent curious of what happened. The links and the articles are all there - hell, theres even video.

Thats why I said you're confused on purpose because you dont want to find out what happened you just want someone to tell you so you can argue with the messenger.

But the speedy trial can only be stopped or delayed by the defense. Prosecutors rarely if ever delay a trial...because its in the constitution.

Sounds like this boils down to...a family who didnt give a damn enough to raise up a bit of cash for bond.....and a shitty defense attorney who decided to wait it out instead of go to trial.

If your argument is that public defenders are overworked, lack motivation and just arent good lawyers...well yeah...id agree with that. They're human. Private sector pays better. So shitty ones become public defenders.

Of course it sounds like that when you refuse to familiarize yourself with the case.

Everyone knows Public defenders run the system :rolleyes:

Fast a speedy trial dude

As with all rights, you can waive the right to a speedy trial, Buc is right on this one. I want to know why the defense delayed a trial.

Also, the thread title is a lie. He WAS charged with a crime, he was NOT convicted of a crime.

The difference is important because except for a few select examples of terrorists and the like it IS illegal to put someone in jail without criminal charges, on the other hand people go to jail prior to trial all the time in this country.

By the way, THIS is the family attorney, so no this kid wasn't represented by a public defender

NYC Civil Rights Criminal Defense The Prestia Law Firm

Fast a speedy trial dude

As with all rights, you can waive the right to a speedy trial, Buc is right on this one. I want to know why the defense delayed a trial.

Also, the thread title is a lie. He WAS charged with a crime, he was NOT convicted of a crime.

The difference is important because except for a few select examples of terrorists and the like it IS illegal to put someone in jail without criminal charges, on the other hand people go to jail prior to trial all the time in this country.

By the way, THIS is the family attorney, so no this kid wasn't represented by a public defender

Yep. All true. ClosedCaption just wants to find corruption where there isnt any here.

A defense attorney can demand a trial within a month. Waive the prelim hearing. Waive all the other "system" nonsense. Most dont though.

Why? The more time goes by the better. The arresting officer may quit. The witnesses may die or move. Victim may decide not to pursue it. Evidence ages. All sorts of things.

In reality....prosecutors WANT to get to trial as fast as possible. Defense wants a delay.

Fast a speedy trial dude

Yep. All true. ClosedCaption just wants to find corruption where there isnt any here.

A defense attorney can demand a trial within a month. Waive the prelim hearing. Waive all the other "system" nonsense. Most dont though.

Why? The more time goes by the better. The arresting officer may quit. The witnesses may die or move. Victim may decide not to pursue it. Evidence ages. All sorts of things.

In reality....prosecutors WANT to get to trial as fast as possible. Defense wants a delay.

Yes, but in most cases the defendant is out on bail I'm still looking to see why bail wasn't granted or if it was even requested

Fast a speedy trial dude

Yes, but in most cases the defendant is out on bail I'm still looking to see why bail wasn't granted or if it was even requested

He was given a bond amount. Cant be much for a16 yr old first timer.

Family left his ass in. Supposedly couldnt raise moeny.

Fast a speedy trial dude

Browder’s family could not afford to hire an attorney, so the judge appointed a lawyer named Brendan O’Meara to represent him. Browder told O’Meara that he was innocent and assumed that his case would conclude quickly. Even the assistant district attorney handling the prosecution later acknowledged in court papers that it was a “relatively straightforward case.” There weren’t hours of wiretaps or piles of complicated evidence to sift through; there was just the memory of one alleged victim. But Browder had entered the legal system through the Bronx criminal courts, which are chronically overwhelmed. Last year, the Times, in an extended exposé, described them as “crippled” and among the most backlogged in the country. One reason is budgetary. There are not nearly enough judges and court staff to handle the workload; in 2010, Browder’s case was one of five thousand six hundred and ninety-five felonies that the Bronx District Attorney’s office prosecuted. The problem is compounded by defense attorneys who drag out cases to improve their odds of winning, judges who permit endless adjournments, prosecutors who are perpetually unprepared. Although the Sixth Amendment guarantees “the right to a speedy and public trial,” in the Bronx the concept of speedy justice barely exists.

Three Years on Rikers Without Trial - The New Yorker

All you have to do is read the fucking thing and stop making it up from fear of knowledge

Fast a speedy trial dude

But Browder had entered the legal system through the Bronx criminal courts, which are chronically overwhelmed. Last year, the Times, in an extended exposé, described them as “crippled” and among the most backlogged in the country. One reason is budgetary. There are not nearly enough judges and court staff to handle the workload; in 2010, Browder’s case was one of five thousand six hundred and ninety-five felonies that the Bronx District Attorney’s office prosecuted. The problem is compounded by defense attorneys who drag out cases to improve their odds of winning, judges who permit endless adjournments, prosecutors who are perpetually unprepared. Although the Sixth Amendment guarantees “the right to a speedy and public trial,” in the Bronx the concept of speedy justice barely exists.

Three Years on Rikers Without Trial - The New Yorker

Fast a speedy trial dude

It was $10k but you dont know that because watching a 5 min video is too stressful or something. No his family couldnt afford it, now I guess its time for you to go on and on about how much the family sucks for not having $10K laying around to spend

Maybe I can provide you with child drawings to help you find out about this case. Like a sad family with a money bag in a thought bubble or something

Fast a speedy trial dude

It was $10k but you dont know that because watching a 5 min video is too stressful or something. No his family couldnt afford it, now I guess its time for you to go on and on about how much the family sucks for not having $10K laying around to spend

Why would you lie like that?

But, because Browder was still on probation, the judge ordered him to be held and set bail at three thousand dollars.

It was $3,000 not $10,000 as you claimed and he was given bail instead of being ROI because he was ON PROBATION.

Also, a bail bondsmen will post bail if you put up 10%, that means the family only needed to come up with $300 to bail him out. Yes, I don't have much sympathy for someone for having a family who can't come up with $300 bail money to bail out their son who was already on probation.

Fast a speedy trial dude

With a bail bondsman its 10%. So in 3 years the whole family couldnt muster $1000 bucks to save their child?

And your prior post says EXACLY what i did. Defense attorneys drag cases out on purpose.

If the family set aside $50 a month hed be out with a 10% bail in 20 months....not 36. They wouldnt even do that!!!?

Dude...this is a non story. Faux outragem

Why would you lie like that?

But, because Browder was still on probation, the judge ordered him to be held and set bail at three thousand dollars.

It was $3,000 not $10,000 as you claimed and he was given bail instead of being ROI because he was ON PROBATION.

Also, a bail bondsmen will post bail if you put up 10%, that means the family only needed to come up with $300 to bail him out. Yes, I don't have much sympathy for someone for having a family who can't come up with $300 bail money to bail out their son who was already on probation.

DAMN. Thanks.

So its $3000. And at 10% for a bondsman....that whole family couldnt muster 300 bucks in 3 YEARS!!!!!?

Oh wait, there is more to the story. Imagine that.

A grand jury had voted to indict Browder. The criminal complaint alleged that he and his friend had robbed a Mexican immigrant named Roberto Bautista—pursuing him, pushing him against a fence, and taking his backpack. Bautista told the police that his backpack contained a credit card, a debit card, a digital camera, an iPod Touch, and seven hundred dollars. Browder was also accused of punching Bautista in the face.

A clerk read out the charges—“Robbery in the second degree and other crimes”—and asked Browder, “How do you plead, sir, guilty or not guilty?”

“Not guilty,” Browder said.

An officer escorted him out of the courtroom and back downstairs to return to Rikers. It no longer mattered whether his mother could find the money to bail him out. The Department of Probation had filed a “violation of probation” against him—standard procedure when someone on probation is indicted on a new violent felony—and the judge had remanded him without bail.

Mandatory no parole for him after the indictment of a violent felony because he was on probation already.

With a bail bondsman its 10%. So in 3 years the whole family couldnt muster $1000 bucks to save their child?

And your prior post says EXACLY what i did. Defense attorneys drag cases out on purpose.

If the family set aside $50 a month hed be out with a 10% bail in 20 months....not 36. They wouldnt even do that!!!?

Dude...this is a non story. Faux outragem

Actually not true Bucs, when he was indicted for a felony while already being on probation he became ineligible for parole.

A grand jury indicted him for the crime that he WAS charged with.

The Death Of Kalief Browder Is An 'American Tragedy Almost Beyond Words'

n-KALIEF-BROWDER-large570.jpg

Heres the original story from the New Yorker: Three Years on Rikers Without Trial - The New Yorker

The Death Of Kalief Browder Is An American Tragedy Almost Beyond Words

Kalief Browder, a young man from New York City who had gained national renown in recent years as a symbol of America's broken criminal justice system, took his own life this weekend, according to a report from The New Yorker. He was 22.

Browder was just 16 years old in 2010 when he was sent to New York's notorious Rikers Island jail on a robbery charge that would ultimately be dismissed. He ended up spending three years at the facility, despite not having been convicted of a crime. When he wasn’t in solitary confinement -- where he spent an accumulated two years -- he faced unspeakable violence at the hands of guards and fellow inmates.

His long, tortuous ordeal -- as documented last year in a widely read New Yorker article by Jennifer Gonnerman -- came to a tragic end Saturday. Gonnerman reported that Browder hanged himself with an air conditioning cord at his family’s home in the Bronx, New York. She told The Huffington Post Monday that Browder’s family was in a “state of shock.”

“They were angry and confused about why Kalief was gone,” she said.

Gonnerman, who'd spent a great deal of time with Browder, remembered him as an “intelligent, perceptive young man who was trying to do the right thing. All he wanted to do was have a normal life... but he never really got that chance.”

What happened to Browder and his family, said Gonnerman, is an “American tragedy almost beyond words.

snip

“When you go over the three years that [Browder] spent [in jail] and all the horrific details he endured, it’s unbelievable that this could happen to a teen-ager in New York City,” Prestia said hours after Browder's death, according to The New Yorker. “He didn’t get tortured in some prison camp in another country. It was right here!”

snip

A horrifying report from the U.S. Department of Justice last year described the "rampant use of unnecessary and excessive force" by guards against teenage inmates on Rikers. The report also detailed how the adolescent inmate facility, where Browder was kept, was “more inspired" by the William Golding novel Lord of the Flies than by "any legitimate philosophy of humane detention

Check out the video at the bottom of the page from inside Rikers.
That's horrible, the entire story. Very sad. WTF is wrong with our country?

Forum List

Back